Water Fitness

Options
I recently have not been able to workout due to hip issues. I am thinking about doing some type of water fitness classes until my hip is 100%. Have any of you had hip or joint issues and have tried water fitness classes? If so, I would love some feedback. It is killing me to be sedentary.

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 back surgeries and after both of them, I did my rehab by walking in the shallow end of the pool. It's actually quite a lot of work. As for how much it burns, I really don't know. I wasn't really concerned with it then. Good luck!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    4.jpg
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I recently have not been able to workout due to hip issues. I am thinking about doing some type of water fitness classes until my hip is 100%. Have any of you had hip or joint issues and have tried water fitness classes? If so, I would love some feedback. It is killing me to be sedentary.
    I love water aerobics, it really helps if my knee is bothering me but I love the classes even it's not.:tongue: It's a great form of exercise without it being hard on the joints. Might check the Y as they'll have water classes anywhere from 5am -7pm and perhaps later than that in some area.

Enjoy! I think it'll do you a world of good to get your joints in some water as that will really help. Or you could do water walking, laps etc. Any of the water activities can be a real help in so many ways. :flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I was nursing a knee injury while marathon training and had to do a few weeks of water running. It's a really great workout. The burn is similar, (at least it was for me) to regular running. The challenge is regulating your speed. It's a lot easier to run slower in the water. If you really push, it can be a really challenging workout. I know people thought I was nuts, ("Excuse me, but what is it you're doing?") but it really saved my knee and hip from the constant pounding and kept me from losing any cardio fitness.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you!
  • MelJolly
    MelJolly Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just recently started a water fitness class, and I am LOVING it!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Morning!

So glad the OP posted this message as it got me watching Zumba on youtube and realizing that Aqua Zumba existed! I had no idea there was such a thing.

I got to asking around and found out a class starts this week so I am quite excited!!

Thanks again for posting and there most definitely ARE some great workout vids on Youtube for any and everyone no matter what type of workout you're looking to do!

Cheers & have a great weekend All :flowerforyou:

ETA: MelJolly, I too love water aerobics and do that currently along with several other types of workouts so when I found out Aqua Zumba existed as well it takes it to a whole new level of fun for me! Water workouts are SO good for our bodies and cushion the joints yet are still an excellent way to get in our cardio. That and they are just plain fun! I can only imagine with the Zumba music what a blast that will be!! :bigsmile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I love aqua!!!! Aqua aerobics is about 4 METs and aqua jogging is about 8 METs. To figure calories burned, multiply the MET level by your weight in kilograms and by 0.0175 to get calories per minute.