HELP! Doctor's orders for no exercise, still loose weight?

mmocarr
mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
edited October 4 in Health and Weight Loss
So I recently recieved doctor's orders for NO exercise for a minimum of 8 weeks. I asked about low impact/toning exercise i.e. bike riding or lifting weights and she still said no. I had a seizure and my hormone levels are off due to thyroid issue which is putting too much stress on my heart.

I work out 5 to 6 days a week. Im an avid runner and lift weight frequently. I feel like I'm losing a part of my identity.

I have no idea how I am going to maintain my weight, let alone loose weight.

Anyone loose weight without exercise? Anyone have a similar situation, how did you get through it?

Thanks for any thoughts

Replies

• Hope you get better quick. If you work out and make things worse just think how much longer you would be without part of who you now are. I think as long as you eat healthy and if you are able to walk then do that. I know you wont see the results you want but its better for you in the long run. good luck.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Can you go on walks? I think you'll still be able to lose weight if you stick to a healthy living diet and keep a slightly active life style such as walking and doing chores around the house. You obviously won't lose weight as fast, but I think you'll slowly lose weight.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    So I recently recieved doctor's orders for NO exercise for a minimum of 8 weeks. I asked about low impact/toning exercise i.e. bike riding or lifting weights and she still said no. I had a seizure and my hormone levels are off due to thyroid issue which is putting too much stress on my heart.

I work out 5 to 6 days a week. Im an avid runner and lift weight frequently. I feel like I'm losing a part of my identity.

Anyone loose weight without exercise? Anyone have a similar situation, how did you get through it?

Thanks for any thoughts

Get your diet in check. Learn your TDEE/Maintenance levels. Eat at it or slightly below to maintain your weight/lose. Working out IS NOT required to maintain/lose weight.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Sorry to hear about your seizure :( That totally sucks. I have sprained my ankle a couple of times, not really the same thing I know but it meant weeks and weeks off exercise especially high impact exercise. I know what you're going through!

I guess my only suggestion is just eat fewer calories than you take in consistently, and maybe some leisurely walking, keep moving throughout the day. Don't let it get you down.
  • You don't have to work out to lose weight, just eat less calories. 1200 and you'll be fine.

Don't risk your over all health to try and maintain a weight loss. Even if you don't lose weight in these 8 weeks, you are going to be fine. Things are going to be okay. Not exercising doesn't equal weight gain.

Who you are isn't defined by your exercise. Focus on getting better and healthier and not on losing weight.
  • teaspoonz
    teaspoonz Posts: 8 Member
    I have lost 16Kg in the past 10 weeks and have a sedentary lifestyle, at best I do 30 mins of walking in a week, normally nothing more than my every day office job. I have reduced my calories to between 1300 and 1400 per day, eating healthy and staying away from junk food.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    You can definitely still lose weight simply by keeping your diet in check. As long as you're eating below your maintenance level, and eating nice healthy food, you'll still lose!

Get better soon! That really sucks :(
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Your health (life) is more important then excercise, just keep your calories under goal and you should be fine for the time being! Get well soon!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Ummm...if you're having issues that's causing stress on your heart then maybe you should focus on getting that taken care of and then worry about losing weight. A heart attack may very well cause you to lose more than part of your identity. I hope you get better soon.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Drink your water and take multivitamins!

I lost 35 pounds a couple of years ago without exercising. I used the south beach diet -- I think if you're not exercising you don't need as many carbs. Not NO carbs, but healthy ones (fruit, whole grains, etc.).

Hope your medical issues get worked out. Hang in there!!
  • You for sure need to relax sweetie your health is having some serious issues. Take that break the Doctor told you to do. Eat Healthy but don't starve yourself.

You will be in my Prayers

Take care and Dont be so hard on yourself! Relax and dont stress about this. Stress causes weight gain.

You will make it through this. xoxoox
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    I was in your shoes last month- you can manage the food intake and make sure you stay somewhat mobile if possible. Try to watch the salt intake too. Drink lots of H20 and you should be fine. you may not lose, but you shouldn't gain much if any at all.... at least I didn't....and then go hardcore once you can:)!!!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

Thanks for any thoughts

Few years ago I had surgery to repair a rotator cuff tear in my R shoulder. Needless to say that I could not, nor did I want to do any exercise. The doctor didn't allow me to even walk for at least 3 weeks until I started PE because of the meds that I was taking. He was concerned with dizziness and falls.

Cooking was hard because I couldn’t use my right arm at all and my husband barely knows where the kitchen is. Like you, I felt totally empty and depressed, but I still managed to lose 6 lbs by just eating right and watching the size of my portions.

You can do it, you are young and fit. Just keep eating healthy, watch your portions, and stay away from process food and fast food places. You may not lose your weight very fast but you will still lose some.

I wish you a prompt and speedy recovery.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes.

You guys confirmed that I know what to do, I think I just needed to vent. I will be counting calories and at least in the short term my only goal will be to maintain so that I can focus on all this other stuff. Maybe after the 1st month I can work on loosing ,5 lb a week.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    question: can you do yoga or pilates? these are fabulous stress releasers and can help you maintain physical activity just not at the same levels obviously- walking is great too. I don't think they would mess up thyroid levels- I used to have thyroid problems. Lots of benefits from these exercises. Get creative girl- maybe there is a reason this is happening... not always fun but you will have an experience you can definitely share and help others in the future with. Find out if you can hook up with other people in your situation - it may help with support too:) Good luck- you'll be fine, and don't get down on yourself....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I would urge you to contact your doctor and ask him or her about your dietary intake.

If your issues are hormonal there is a chance that the doctor will NOT want you in a caloric deficit. If it were me, I would aim to eat near maintenance calories unless you are very obese and weightloss is a necessity---however, your doctor should clarify this for you.
This discussion has been closed.