Any suggestions for rice cookers?

Options
My husband says I eat too much rice, which is true, but I'd like a better easier way to make it. Does anyone have any suggestions for one? I'm hoping not to spend more that $75-$90.
Thanks! Jaci

Replies

• nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    Options
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love rice cookers!!

I don't have a suggestion (sorry) but what I always do is search on Amazon, and then sort the items by popularity and read about the ones with good reviews!! Then I pick based off of that... lol!
  • wannababyH
    Options
    You can get one from Walmart. They have some as cheap as $20.

I have this one and it's awesome.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-8CUP-RICE-COOKER/10730254
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I love my cheapo rice cooker. I use it for rice, oatmeal, beans and lentils and steaming veggies. Seriously multi-functional and I think it was about $30.
  • PDXyogini
    Options
    With your budget in mind, I'd suggest checking Craigslist to see if anyone is selling a fuzzy logic model. These are really little pressure cookers and they pretty much make perfect rice, every time. They can handle other grains very well (I make quinoa all time time in ours on the "white rice" setting) and you can also make things like lentils in them. These work great for brown rice, wild rice and barley (I make a brown rice, black barley, and daikon seed medley from Trader Joe's fairly often).

They are more expensive, but they are a one time investment. We have a Zojurushi 5 cup maker and it was well over $100. Hence my suggestion about Craigslist. There's other fuzzy logic brands and there is some variation in price. We use ours pretty often, and with the "keep warm" function we nearly always have hot, perfect rice or quinoa at the ready.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Like PDXyogini, I also want to suggest a fuzzy logic model which is unfortunately above your budget.

I absolutely love my rice cooker. Perfect rice every single time - short, medium, or long grain. I almost never cook white rice anymore because the brown rice...well, tastes like white rice. The timer is wonderful. Brown rice takes two hours to make in a fuzzy logic, but you can just set it to be done at dinner time and like magic, it is.

I also make quinoa, steel cut oats, and other grains in it. Nothing better than throwing oats and water in at night and hearing the tune at 6:30 signalling that my oats are ready (and perfect!).

You can also make pudding in them.

Am I over-selling? Maybe. I really love my rice cooker. I have the Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy. It was $150 shipped on Amazon and worth every penny.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    These work great for brown rice, wild rice and barley (I make a brown rice, black barley, and daikon seed medley from Trader Joe's fairly often).

I make this in my Zoji often! It's so good made with broth.
  • PDXyogini
    Options
    @shangsm - Does your Zojurushi sing to you? Ours plays a little song when it starts and a different one (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star -- we think) when it finishes.

We didn't spot this feature at all when choosing it and were very surprised the first time we made rice!
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the George Forman Multi Cooker. A little pricey around $70 but it does so much more than just make rice.....Sears meat, steams veggies, cooks pretty much any grain. I use it almost everyday!
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What specifically is it that is a pain to cook rice? Maybe I'm using weird rice.. but I literally stick it in a pot with water and stir it occasionally. It cooks itself in 10 minutes. Then again, it's not brown rice which I know can take longer, but I believe it's just a time difference.