Weight loss and IUD

I have been counting calories, and working out like crazy for the last couple weeks. The scale has not budged!!! My clothes do feel better, but again, the scale has not budged!!! I have read a alot of blogs from women with Mirena IUD suffering gain, even though it should not cause any. I had this inserted a month ago. Anyone else out there with this problem? Anyway to counteract? I have been doing a lot of weights at the gym, and I know muscle weighs more, but I am overweight, should the scale not drop at all?

HELP!

Replies

• twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    well, I'm on the pill...but I do know when I first started it took a few weeks to lose anything...I lost inches though and as long as your clothes are feeling better than you shouldn't worry about it...keep up what you're doing
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    I've had the Mirena for over a year. Maintained weight the first 8 months (4 of which I was working out,but not watching what I was eating), gained 30lbs (not working out or watching what I was eating), and have currently lost 50lbs in the past 4 months (working out and watching what I was eating).

The Mirena is the only constant, so I would say it has no bearing.
  • I gained weight on the IUD. It's fairly common.

If you google "Mirena weight gain" you can find hundreds of stories of women who maintained their exercise routine but gained weight with it.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    I've had Mirena for over 2 years - I don't think it has any real impact on weight, but could be wrong. My appetite seemed to increase greatly after about 3 months. But that could have just been coincidence. I also had serious pain for the first 3 months after getting Mirena - due to cysts on my ovaries, until one that was the size of a dime ruptured. I haven't had any issues since then, thank goodness! But as far as losing weight, I just started trying in the beginning of June this year - it took about a month before I saw anything drop off, but now I've lost 55lbs so I think it just has to do with your diet/exercise! :)

Good luck! <3
  • I had mine inserted close to three months ago. I have found my appetite has increased and I did gain 4 pounds, but I would probably contribute that to my out of control eating of crap food and not working out, tore my quad so I stopped running for four months.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I have the Mirena, had it over a year now. I haven't noticed any gain at all, but now that you mention it I have noticed that the scale isn't moving as fast as I'd think it would for someone my size. I'm generally quite good about keeping under my calories, and I work out 5 days a week. But I'm barely losing 1 lb a week, if that. Some weeks i can, then lose it, then gain it back. It's rather frustrating.
  • I have the Mirena, had it over a year now. I haven't noticed any gain at all, but now that you mention it I have noticed that the scale isn't moving as fast as I'd think it would for someone my size. I'm generally quite good about keeping under my calories, and I work out 5 days a week. But I'm barely losing 1 lb a week, if that. Some weeks i can, then lose it, then gain it back. It's rather frustrating.

I noticed that when I was on birth control, it was tough as hell to lose a pound a week even though I was staying under my calories and working out like a maniac like six days a week.. wonder how it will be with the mirena now that i'm getting back to my old schedule.
  • Yep I have the mirena also, and I dont think I gained weight from it, but I really do think it is making it a lot harder to lose weight. I have lost 11 pounds so far and that took me like 3 months! I think it might be starting to get better getting better tho. Debating on whether I want it removed or not. Plus its causing bad acne! Good luck to everyone!
  • twinmommy3
    twinmommy3 Posts: 28 Member
    Wow thanks for all the info. I am concerned about weight with mirena, I don't have any other side effects. It REALLY shouldn't contribute, hormone is only released into uterus, and at a smaller does than pill. I just want that scale to budge. I have never had problems in the past losing weight once I set my mind to it!