How do you deal with emotional eating?

Options
I seem to have a really difficult time preventing emotional eating and was wondering if any of you had any good tips on how to handle it! I have lost about 25lbs so far but keep stalling due to this problem. Thanks in advance :]

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Run
  • mice152
    mice152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem and I have dealt with it repeatedly; I don't know if it will ever fully go away. And I don't know that there's any one strategy to deal with it. The biggest helps for me have been: exercise - my emotions are always easier to handle when I've been working out regularly; and calling myself on my emotional eating and actually dealing with the emotion instead of eating - prayer, talking with/confronting someone who is causing problems in my life, etc. It's been hard and far less fun than chocolate but healthier.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Decide what the emotional eating is doing FOR you (positive effect), and figure out what you can do for yourself to get the same benefit as that.

Emotional eating is a way to mask/cover up uncomfortable emotions. It is the same reflex as smoking to relieve tension/anxiety... you've seen those people.. any sort of situation and they "have to have a cigarette"... [NO, I'm NOT suggesting that you smoke instead]... closely related to people who drink/use drugs to "get through the day"...

So, you have uncomfortable emotions. They can even be POSITIVE emotions that are just too intense for you. Maybe you need some quiet time? Meditation? a nap? a new book to read (escape into)... how about a hot shower? as gashinshotan said, maybe go for a run (or other exercise)... can you call someone and talk/laugh/cry about it?

For me, I'm trying to recognize the uncomfortable emotions sooner, and heading them off with either acknowledgement and acceptance, or deflect them by consciously distracting myself.

Hot tea helps for me, too. A cup of hot tea is very soothing, and comforting for me.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found to deal with emotional eating is to find another way to focus my attention - away from anything that has to do with food (the kitchen, fast food places, etc.,.)
    Go for a walk, exercise, get a hobby, read a book, get together with some friends but DON'T meet them at a Starbucks (lol).
    I also suggest that you don't watch TV because of all the food channels that are on it & some of the talk show hosts (Rachel Ray) have also started doing cooking segments on their show.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I work out when I am stressed/emotional!!! It helps sooth me most of the time!!!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found to deal with emotional eating is to find another way to focus my attention - away from anything that has to do with food (the kitchen, fast food places, etc.,.)
    Go for a walk, exercise, get a hobby, read a book, get together with some friends but DON'T meet them at a Starbucks (lol).
    I also suggest that you don't watch TV because of all the food channels that are on it & some of the talk show hosts (Rachel Ray) have also started doing cooking segments on their show.

Rachel Ray has always done cooking segments on her talk show lol, she also has her own cooking show too. Watching TV hasn't bothered me... but everyone's different, I have the willpower to say no most of the time, the only time I give in is during TOM!
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    shove broccoli and kale down my pie hole.
  • jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    shove broccoli and kale down my pie hole.

I lol'ed
  • verysherri2006
    verysherri2006 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use to think that I was an emotional eatter but then I realized that I was just bored half the time.
    Whenever I have that urge to eat randomly, I try to eat things that won't harm me, like carrots.
    I will eat carrots till my teeth hurt sometimes but I know it is ten times better than my Ben & Jerry's
    Also, when everything else fails...GYM!!
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    I always found I ate out of boredom rather than due to emotions.

I made a rational decision that I had to make some changes and I've stuck to that decision (over two weeks now). It's a different process for everyone .. it might help to talk to a counsellor and develop skills that enable you to cope.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is just a distraction. Get to the root of the problem, solve it and you won't need the distraction again.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Write. Write. Write.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Figure out what is causing your emotional reaction and deal with the problem, not the symptom.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    if i'm at a computer, i go on here for 10 minutes and look at the success stories!
  • monosyllabic_girl
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Lots of wonderful advice on here that I'm just going to have to try and see what works best for me. I think half of my eating is emotional eating and half of it is eating because i'm bored. I love the idea of having some hot tea and coming on here to read all of the success stories. I work out 3-5 times a week right now and that has helped a little bit but I still struggle with this almost everyday! Thanks again :)
  • nikihampton
    nikihampton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with emotional eating, now I am an avid runner. I leave it on the road. Also, since I have to chew gum when I workout it gives my mouth something to do. I struggle with bored eating because I work at home. I use gum for that too. My husband is try to gain weight (ironically the same amount I am working to lose), so it's tough NOT to eat when he is eating. I.E. late at night. Hang in there, you'll find the right strategy for you.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice and I would add that I have found listening to a motivational CD of Paul McKenna helped me immensley.