Iphone App that can help you lose weight

Even if you didn’t make a resolution to lose weight this year, you probably have some fitness goals you would like to achieve in the new year. To help, we’ve put together a list of the top 10 free iPhone apps to help you lose weight and get into shape.

From calorie trackers to fitness tutorials, you can find pretty much anything you could ever want for managing your diet, weight, and fitness goals — best of all, they’re all free. Now you have no more excuses. Download one or more of these apps and get going. Here’s to staying motivated in 2009!

Tell us about your favorites in the comments.

Calorie Tracker

Calorie conscious? Calorie Tracker is an incredibly handy free app from LIVESTRONG.com, Lance Armstrong’s health and fitness website. Users can look up and track daily caloric, fat, carbohydrate, and protein intake.

The app pulls from LIVESTRONG.com’s Daily Plate nutritional database with over 450,000 food and restaurant items. And if you want your physical activity to factor into the mix, just use the app to calculate burned calories for a variety of exercises. Users can also use the app in conjunction with the website for support groups, forums, and Q&A. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

Lose It!

Set goals, create a daily calorie budget, record food and exercise, and view graphs of progress with this full-featured weight management app. After you enter your stats, you can create a custom plan, with an end date in mind, based on how much weight you want to lose per week. So for my weight loss goal, should I stick to my 1279 daily calorie budget, my loss should be realized by April 17 of this year.

Since the app is incredibly easy to use and approaches weight loss in an easy way for me to manage, I think I’m going to stick with this one until I reach my goal; I’ll let you know how that goes. (App Store Rating: 3.5 stars)

40·30·30

Calorie trackers are great, but how do you make sure that you’re getting the right nutritional balance? The 40·30·30 app is a one trick pony that will really come in handy if you need to quickly calculate the percentage of carbs, protein, and fats in your meal.

Just scroll through the weight (in grams) options for each nutritional element to view your ratio. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

iPump Free Workout

Created by Exercise Physiologist, Declan Condron, this free alternative to iPump, has two full body workouts targeting major muscle groups, as well as sample exercises from each of the other iPump apps.

Each workout is designed specifically for maximum results, and lets users listen to music, watch video demonstrations for each exercise, and record activity to a workout log as they go. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

StepTrackLite

When logging activity just doesn’t cut it, use StepTrackLite as a simple pedometer to measure and track physical activity while strolling, walking, or running.

The app works whether your iPhone is in your pocket, on your belt, or even in your backpack, and you can listen to music as you get your workout on. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

iMapMyRun

iMapMyRun utilizes the iPhone’s GPS technology for real-time distance, time, pace, and speed tracking. It even integrates with Twitter, should you want a quick way to advertise your fitness regime.

Once you setup your account (you can use an existing MapMyRun.com account), you can save your runs, bike rides, and walks to a training log, with maps, for future reference. Additional features include the ability to sync with the website and use voice feedback to coach you as you go. Note: as with all apps like this, you do need to leave the app open for the entirety of the workout. (App Store Rating: 3 stars)

iSPINNING

Mountain and road biking fanatics listen up, iSPINNING is powerful app that lets you design workouts to see and track heart rate, time in target zones, calories burned, cadence, speed, distance, and power.

The app is compatible with a variety of fitness sensors, and lets you customize your workout dashboard metrics for each ride. You will need additional hardware, like the SMHEART LINK, for creating a wireless bridge between your iPhone and your fitness sensor. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

Pret-a-Yoga Lite

Pret-a-Yoga Lite is the perfect app for yoga beginners who might be threatened by the gym environment, or advanced yogis looking to take their routine on the go.

Pret-a-Yoga Lite is like having your own personal yoga instructor, minus the slightly awkward touching, to guide you through each breathe and pose with both images and audio instructions. (App Store Rating: 3 stars)

2Fat

If all you need is to calculate your body fat percentage and BMI, then the 2Fat app might be just the right fit.

The scroll wheels make it incredibly simple and fast to use. All you need to do is select your sex, weight, and waist measurement and wait for the bad news. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

Heartbeat

If you need to take a quick heart rate census during or after a tough workout, use Heartbeat to help you manually track your heart beats per minute (bpm).

To calculate your heart’s bpm, just tap the heart on the screen every time your heart beats — it’s that easy. The app would be incredibly cool if it could automatically calculate your heart rate, but it still is a handy tool for heart rate monitoring on the run. (App Store Rating: 2.5 stars)

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    cardiotrainer
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    cardiotrainer

Thats an android only app. Wish it was in iphone :0(
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    cardiotrainer

Thats an android only app. Wish it was in iphone :0(
    is it? damn... i love it! hopefully you iphoners will get it eventually
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to be checking my apps on the iPhone later.
    My pedometer keeps falling off or I forget it.
    I rarely forget my iPhone.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    ifitness. Phone and android. Pick by muscle, equipment, or a routine. And track exercise. The main reason I bought an iphone. Now it's on android too. Plus most exercises have videos along with the pictures.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Target Weight and My Weight
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    There's one put out by a website called my fitnesspal. Perhaps you've heard of it? ;-)