How to up my calcium and iron intake?

Options
Hi guys, lately I've been playing around with my diary and freaked out a little bit, because it seems every day I'm not getting enough of those 2 nutrients. I've tried to add some dairy and I eat meat, but I still can't seem to get at least a number close to 100%. Should I take supplements, or is there any way to actually get enough when eating at a deficit? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    Eat dark leafy greens. Work them in anywhere. They're low cal and dense in nutrition. I recommend collard greens, bok choy, kale, broccoli, and spinach. Collards are the best with kale right behind them. Kale can be turned into great chips for snacking on, bok choy is awesome sauteed in a little olive oil, broccoli is great steamed or baked, spinach can be worked into an omelet or dropped into a fruit smoothie (you really won't be able to taste it.)
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My iron is always around the 10% mark at best, recently I found a cereal that is really yummy and gives me 150% of my daily calcium before I even add milk! score! It's an Aussie product and called Vogels Oven Crisp Museli. I'm not sure where you are but there might be something similar?
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Total cereal is one way.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Me too, I was getting a weekly average of 0-3% iron and 0-5% calcium. I now get around 70% of each. All I changed is that I use a meal replacement powder in soya yoghurt or oatmeal every day, take 1 multivitamin and make an effort to incorporate one high-calcium snack/drink into my day. Enriched cereals are kind of ok but often high in sugar or artificial sweeteners.