Runners...

Options
What is the average speed that you run? I was proud of myself for achieving my first ever 20 minute stretch of jogging only to find out when I went to log it, that my pace is only considered a fast walk. Definitely better than sitting on the couch and it is progress so I will continue on. Just curious what speed others are running at. There must be a few others out there who are starting slowly???

Replies

• Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    According to Runkeeper, my pace is about 4.6 miles per hour.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I typically jog at about 6 mph, or a 10 minute mile pace. When I want to do intervals, I will do a minute at 7-8 mph, and then a minute at about 3 or 4 mph, and alternate those for about 30 minutes or so.
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 6 months and was getting about 6mph on a 30 minute run. I've started longer runs and deliberately run slower, about 5.5mph but I've noticed that my speed on the shorter runs has also gone down. I blame the weather <BG>.
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to build up as it isnt easy running for 20 mins so good on you for giving it a go!

I have to say that I think I might actually run slower than I walk lol. I have just started out and connot jog very far so for now I am just walking and slowly build up speed and duration and give jogging another go when I reach my next weight goal.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    I only just progressed to a confident 5mph from 4mph. I was a bit bummed when i saw my pace was only considered a walk but I soon got over it. ANY movement is better than nothing, I started off with the most nana-like hunched over running jog.

Keep it up!
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I feel better knowing that I'm not alone. I'm running at 4.5mph and was feeling pretty good. I'm going to stick with it and hopefully increase my speed but for now am just thrilled that I'm getting some exercise in, period.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just run hills.... I started running a mile on 10/20 @ 10 min pace... my last run on Friday I ran 4.3 miles with a just under 9 min pace running 1 mile flat, 8:30 pace running 2.5 miles downhill, and an 11 minute pace running 1.7 miles uphill at a 30-45 degree grade.... I dunno.. getting to 4.3 miles non-stop from 1 mile in 8 days must mean that hill running is the key! I started with 1 mile downhill then 1.5 miles then rested a day then ran 1 mile down 0.7 up, then 1 mile down and 1 mile up, took a couple days off, then did another 1 mile down 1 mile up AND 1.7 miles down... and finally on Thu and Fri I ran 1 mile down 1.7 miles up 0.6 mile down and 1 mile flat :). I honestly think most people don't push themselves enough because I accomplished this right after quitting half a pack a day smoking right before my first run!