boring chicken

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Okay, I want to eat more chicken and I am stuck! I need to know what your put on your chicken, like spices and what not. If you have a whole meal ideas, that's cool too. I want something that I can make for myself for lunch mostly. It's just me and my 2 year old, so I don't want to make a lot but something full of flavor, quick, and easy!! Thanks:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Okay, I want to eat more chicken and I am stuck! I need to know what your put on your chicken, like spices and what not. If you have a whole meal ideas, that's cool too. I want something that I can make for myself for lunch mostly. It's just me and my 2 year old, so I don't want to make a lot but something full of flavor, quick, and easy!! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Something simple is to crockpot a whole chicken...just throw it in with an onion soup mix, some chicken broth, some water, and you're good to go.

By the by, there's some nice poultry rubs and mixes at Safeway (Grocery store) that work really well that you can grill on a skillet, or place in an oven to bake. Oh...you can also do a simple grill with lemon pepper...nice.

Oh, back to the crockpot chicken. Once done, de-bone the chicken, and use the chicken later for chicken enchiladas, or tacos...or just place it on top of rice, or salad.

Hmmm...you may want to check out one of these sites for Chicken and Rice...yumm:

http://www.familyoven.com/search.jsp?search_name=chicken+and+rice+cassarole&search_ings=&ping=

Oh...and don't forget Turkey thoughts ;-)
    http://www.familyoven.com/recipes/search/ground-turkey
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    2 words:

Mrs. Dash :love:

Put a little of her galic & herb on and cook it at 375 for 1.5 hours covered with tin foil and omgosh. It is simply heavenly. :love: Experiement with other flavors too - most (if not all?) of Mrs Dash spices are 0 sodium too. :bigsmile:
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    Chicken is SO verasatile! It is never boring.

So many great ways to make a healthy meal.

Tonight I took boneless chicken breast cut it into 1 inch pieces. I sprayed Pam in a non-stick skillet and browned. I added onions toward the end of the chicken cooking. Then I stirred in a can of healthy request cream of chicken soup and a 1/2 can of water. To this I added some frozen mixed vegetables and allowed to simmer with a pinch of crushed rosemary.

While this simmered I made Success boil n bag brown rice.

When the rice is ready, serve the chicken mix over it.

Serve with a side salad if you choose.

I haven't worked up all the calories yet, but the mix serves 6 and the rice serves 3. (My son and daughter don't like rice.) It is not very high in fat or calories. And if you NEED a few extra calories add some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and bacon to the mix.
  • FIREMEDIC351
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom and lunch time is always hard. Putting tons of effort in at lunch just doesn't appeal to me. I have a couple idea for chicken though. Pick a day and spend the 1/2 hour cooking the chicken for the week. Boil or grill 3-4 chicken breasts and then refrigerate for the week.

Option 1: Chicken ranch rollup up. Dice or cube the chicken, mix with a fat free ranch, add 1-2 slices of turkey bacon, either romaine lettuce mix or whole romaine leaf, and wrap in a low carb whole wheat tortilla. (you can also use a pita pocket)

Option 2: Chicken caesar salad. (Grilled chicken is best) Not a whole lot to this, just add to caesar salad mix, you can add a little parmesan cheese or some fat free croutons.

Option 3: Chicken melt. Slice the chicken into thin strips, use a low carb whole weat bread, toasted. Warm the chicken and use a fat free cheese slice. (slices melt better than shredded), you can also add some turkey bacon to this as well.

Option 4: Chicken parmesan sandwich. Use a low carb roll or whole weat bread, slice the chicken into thin strips again, and add 1/4 cup Healthy choice pasta sauce and a pinch of fat free mozzerlla or parmesan cheese.

I spend about 1/2 hour on Sundays cooking up chicken for the week for my husband and myself. All you have to do is reheat!

Hope this helps!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it is a bit high on the sodium side but oh so easy and oh so tasty..

SHAKE AND BAKE spicy version..

I love that stuff
  • jessicasager
    Options
    i always make my own shake and bake ish kinda thing.. i take two pieces of whole wheat bread and break them up into tiny pieces. shake some random spices in there.. ususally pepper, garlic salt, lawreys.. whatever and i blend it or put it in a food processor. then coat it with flour, then a beaten egg, then the coating. bake it in the over, it's soooo juicy and so yummy. and it's actually not bad for you either.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from a former student:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup allegro marinade
    1/2 cup italian salad dressing
    2 tblsp seasoned salt

marinade chicken for at least two hours or overnight (even better)
    cook in a 325 oven for about 30 min or until cooked through.

I take the left overs, slice them up and add to salad with a balamic dressing for lunch.

The chicken cooks so tender you can cut it with a fork. My family loves it.
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I put some boneless chicken breasts in a stoneware pan and drizzle a little BBQ sauce on them and top them with a ring of pineapple and put them in the oven for about 30 minutes......yum yum
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I pan-fried a thin-cut chicken breast with a little sesame oil & soy sauce last night--yummy and fast.
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Here is one that will get you out of a slump.

take a chicken breast for each serving you want. place between 2 pieces of wax paper or seran wrap. use a heavy pan,rolling pin, or meat mallet (smooth side) and pound the chicken down to about a 1/4 inch thick.

sautee some onions, and garlic in very light olive oil, once tender mix with a box of frozen spinach(Drain and squeeze out water), Fat free cream cheese, and any spices you would like to add ( I love garlic salt and mrs. dash).

Place about a 1/4 -1/2 cup of this mixture into the middle of the pounded chicken. Roll up securing all the goodies inside.

Crush about 5 cups of stone ground wheat crackers per chicken breast. mix with italian seasonings.

Roll chicken breast in some egg whites then in cracker crumbs.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until done.

This turned out awesome I dont remember the full calorie count. it was somewhere near 350 per chicken breast.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I can't remember if I get it in the Mexican food aisle or the soup aisle, but I buy a packet of Tortilla soup mix (I think it's Chi Chi's brand, but not sure). I follow the directions which is just to add salsa and some water and I pour that over chicken breast in the crock pot and cook most the day on low. When it's done cooking I shred it and use it for soft tacos, burritos or a mexican salad. You can add some chili powder and pepper if you like it on the spicy side. But it's really versatile and you could probably even freeze it if it makes a lot for you.
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    if you have a foreman grill that makes cooking chicken way easier.

grilled chicken ceasar

grilled chicken breast with diced tomatoes and onions on a bed of spinach with a slice of cheese (if you put the chiken on the spinach while it's hot it wilts the spinach nicely.)

boiled or grilled chicken cut up small with balsamic vinegar, cukes, tomatoes, and basil. wrap in a wrap, put it on toast, crackers, or pita bread

strips of chicken over wheat toast with garlic and onions

chicken soup (just throw it all in a pot in the am and set it to simmer) . i use carrots,onions,broccolli, and a little rice.

garlic powder and onion powder makes everything taste better.

try seasoning your chicken with allspice,cinnamon, safron, salt and pepper. sounds strange but it is so yummy

i love to cook.
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    everything sounds so yummy!:wink::smile: