Party advice

Options
What do people do to NOT overeat at parties. I was at a Halloween party last night, and I found myself eating so much unhealthy foods. It's frustrating, especially after having such a good week.

Replies

• nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eat before I go so I'm not super hungry. Bring a veggie tray and munch on those. Drink lots of water. Only eat small portions of your absolute FAVORITE unheathy foods; don't waste cals on something you don't even really like.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go. In my case I either drink a lot of water or beer.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Eat before I go so I'm not super hungry. Bring a veggie tray and munch on those. Drink lots of water. Only eat small portions of your absolute FAVORITE unheathy foods; don't waste cals on something you don't even really like.

Yep. This. Also, plan for the event by working out to earn a few extra hundred calories. When you're putting stuff on your plate, make sure there's at least 1/2 inch to one inch between any food. If you're just grazing without plates, then position yourself away from the food. Anything within an arms reach is too easy to take.
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Yes... what everyone else has said. Also, don't hang out near the goodie table... The mindless snacking as I'm chatting to people is what kills me!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I went to a friend's party last night, and I gorged myself with chocolate! Not really, but it was a lot more than I would normally allow myself. One thing I did was I planned ahead of time. I knew what she was serving, and I plugged it all into mfp to see how my calories would end up if I ate so much. I also gave myself 600 quick cals for anything I wasn't planning on eating but would add in later to replace the 600 quick cals. Once I was there, I had to gauge how much I was eating and what it was. I ended up waaay over calculating on mfp and did a lot better than I thought I would. For me, it's all about the thinking and realizing what you're doing. But remember that a party is all about having fun, and food doesn't have to kill it. It's ok if you have a bad food day (as long as they're not frequent). Just remember that today is a brand new day and you get to start over!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem except mine was a sleepover and leftover junk was breakfast Sigh. So next time i know to stay away from the junk food, and drink a TON of water today to help undo some damage along with 2 workouts today. best of luck!
  • Andiarena
    Options
    Chew gum!!!!! Its too tacky to spit it out just to have a piece of crap food, so you just keep it in your mouth, and hang out w/your skinny friends! See what they are doing! More than likely, they aren't just hanging around the food table, they are mixing and mingling, and food is an afterthought for them. (Generally speaking of course!)
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    volunteer to bring a veggie tray, or bring a baggie of raw veg with you.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Yep! Gum!! You can't eat when you have gum. Drink water. I use to eat before a party but then ended up eating at the party too. So I plan something I really want for when I get home from the party. I have a light snack before I go to the party. Usually what I have waiting for me at home is something that I want more than what is at the party.
  • Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    Eat before you go FOR SURE! if you are hungry at the party, you will be more likely to pick at unhealthy things, for a long time until you no longer feel hungry(that can add up alot of bad calories over the course of the party.) Drink alot of water and talk more than you munch. Walk around the party talking to different people, distract yourself with socializing, and always keep a glass of water in your hands (keep your hands occupied) and will also make you feel fuller.
  • Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    Chew gum!!!!! Its too tacky to spit it out just to have a piece of crap food, so you just keep it in your mouth, and hang out w/your skinny friends! See what they are doing! More than likely, they aren't just hanging around the food table, they are mixing and mingling, and food is an afterthought for them. (Generally speaking of course!)

yes gum is a great idea for sure. Ill use that one next time I go out lol.