Choosing weight loss goal & calories allowed

Options
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide what my weight loss goal should be every week. I would love to lose two pounds a week which would restrict my calorie intake to 1200 calories. There are days when I feel like I should switch it to losing 1 lb a week and restrict myself to around 1500. Does anyone who has a goal to lose 2lbs a week find it hard to stay within your calorie range? I don't want to set a high standard for myself and fail. Suggestions?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If your pics are remotely current, 1/week. 2/week would really be pushing it given you don't have all that much to lose.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tried eating at 2lbs loss/week, but my body didn't respond. So I wasted weeks restricting myself! It finally dawned on me to up my calories. So now I'm aiming for 1/2lb a week and I'm losing steadily. Once you're closer to goal, the weight doesn't come off like it used to. I also think it makes more sense to eat a higher calorie amount to prepare for maintenance.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I steadily lose a pound a week eating about that every day with exercise.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I tried eating at 2lbs loss/week, but my body didn't respond. So I wasted weeks restricting myself! It finally dawned on me to up my calories. So now I'm aiming for 1/2lb a week and I'm losing steadily. Once you're closer to goal, the weight doesn't come off like it used to. I also think it makes more sense to eat a higher calorie amount to prepare of maintenance.

I totally agree with you. I stayed on the 1200 calories for the longest time. I would either eat too few calories or go way over. My body didn't respond well to this either. Now that I'm at 1400, I'm losing steadily.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    So strange you asked this right now because I was just getting ready to ask the same question. I have been using 2 lbs a week as my setting for months now...but my weight loss has slowed down using the setting. I just wonder if 1200 is really realistic. I have no problem eating that amount of calories but I am wondering if it would be beneficial to have a higher calorie setting.
  • paravision
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm trying to decide what my weight loss goal should be every week. I would love to lose two pounds a week which would restrict my calorie intake to 1200 calories. There are days when I feel like I should switch it to losing 1 lb a week and restrict myself to around 1500. Does anyone who has a goal to lose 2lbs a week find it hard to stay within your calorie range? I don't want to set a high standard for myself and fail. Suggestions?
    I was doing 1200 for 2 lbs and hit a wall. Upped to 1400 because I work out (I do 4 lbs a week this way) but the most important thing is eat as clean as possible. The cleaner you eat the more you can eat and the more weight you will loose. I burn 200-400 cals a day doing cardio and strength about 5-6 days a week. change what you do often and change what you eat often or your body will hit a wall. Good luck!