really? logging "standing" as a calorie burn?

Options

Replies

• satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    if it motivates it counts for that person. personally i only do a vigorous cleaning once a week and many times skip the gym to do it so i count it..
    and question why does strength training have no calories burn counter?

i had this same question- the strength exercises don't have calories attached, but if you go to the cardio section and type in strength training you can log your minutes (just like everything else) and get a calorie estimate.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It's all about someone's life style, I think... I'm sitting down for the vast majority of my day-- full time desk job, and full time grad school, and lots of homework... so yeah, if I do something like clean the house, I'm going to log it because it's a deviation from my normal state-- sitting on my butt!! lol! I haven't gone so far as to log "standing," but I do log my walks to class and that sort of thing... But if someone logs standing and their plan seems to work for them, then who cares? :)
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I clean and do laundry every two days, I don't log that, that is just my regular everyday life, but once a week I go to the bank, I used to drive there, now I walk, its about a 45-50 min walk, I DO log that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    An important point people seem to ignore is, calories burns and activity levels are not calculated per day. They calculate a weekly amount, and give you a daily average to eat. So just because you do something a couple times a week, but not every day, does not mean it isn't accounted for in your TDEE.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't log my daily cleaning, but if I do something more intense (like steam cleaning, moving furniture, scrubbing floors on my hands and knees, etc) then I DO log it. I may or may not eat back the calories, but if my heart is pounding and sweat is rolling off me? I'm counting that! LOL

This mentality doesn't make sense to me, the only reason on this site to log exercise is to know how many exercise calories to eat back, otherwise there's no reason to track it, it doesn't mean anything.

I don't east back my exercise calories, but I do log them... I use it to keep track of my exercise... If I have a week where I don't lose much, it helps me to see how much exercise I did (or didn't do) that week... It keeps me motivated when I don't feel like exercising. I can look back and say "last time I didn't exercise for x days, I didn't lose as much as I usually do"
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ok...In my opinion the basis of this post is valid. But who cares? Why does anyone have the right to belittle someone on how they track there food or activities? You can't judge when you do not know all the particulars about the person. Bottom line if it works it works. Their choices are not for everyone but if they work or don't work only time will tell. This site I thought was about knowledge and support....
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I log standing when it's for extended periods of time. Sometimes as part of my job I spend 5-8 hours on my feet.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Ok...In my opinion the basis of this post is valid. But who cares? Why does anyone have the right to belittle someone on how they track there food or activities? You can't judge when you do not know all the particulars about the person. Bottom line if it works it works. Their choices are not for everyone but if they work or don't work only time will tell. This site I thought was about knowledge and support....
    Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to say. What I am doing works great for me.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate as to how a monitor only accurately monitors your heart rate for cardio? How does it become more accurate as you work harder?
    Because the relationship between heart rate and calories burned is *very* different at low and high heart rates. The readout of calories burned at low heart rates is vastly overstated.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/heart_rate_monitor_faq.html

This makes me sad. The first link is about using HRM during isolation-style weight exercises, and the second is about selecting a HRM. The young lady in question is wearing a different type of instrument...as other posters have already stated.
    Secondly, total-body weight training is also cardiovascular. They aren't mutually exclusive. Cardiovascular exercise is any exercise that raises your heart rate. Running can increase strength. Vigorous and heavy lifting can raise your HR.

Hopefully this last bit of logic will get through, because frankly I've lost interest in this thread.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    If they are really, really heavy maybe they can burn a significant number of cals just standing or cleaning. Other than that you should recommend they change their activity level in their settings rather than log every little thing. Its easy to be overzealous about logging stuff when you first start out but it really becomes a pain to do long term.
    I don't think anyone should tell others how to do things unless asked for advice.
  • That's on them. If they want to log every single thing they do in their every day life- im sure theyll be coming to the forums soon complaining that they aren't losing weight, or maybe even GAINING...and they;ll ask for opinions and suggestions/advice then. Until then- I would just ignore it.
    I don't go out of my way to "OH great job! what a burn!!" people who log "standing", "cleaning", etc. I also dont go out of my way to put them down or judge them for logging those things- this is their journey. they'll eventually learn what work and what doesnt work for them.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were just doing a standing Yoga pose for a very long time.

:laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    In general, absolutely no, I don't even log walking unless I am doing it literally all day, and then I log it as 2 hours (rather than the 8 or so it is), but I DO log standing when I am singing. On concert days I can be standing and singing for 8 hours straight, and I assure you, it IS exercise. But the only way to log that here is as standing.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    ok, getting up off the chair and going to stand while I clean, clean, clean:)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate as to how a monitor only accurately monitors your heart rate for cardio? How does it become more accurate as you work harder?
    Because the relationship between heart rate and calories burned is *very* different at low and high heart rates. The readout of calories burned at low heart rates is vastly overstated.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/heart_rate_monitor_faq.html

This makes me sad. The first link is about using HRM during isolation-style weight exercises, and the second is about selecting a HRM. The young lady in question is wearing a different type of instrument...as other posters have already stated.
    Secondly, total-body weight training is also cardiovascular. They aren't mutually exclusive. Cardiovascular exercise is any exercise that raises your heart rate. Running can increase strength. Vigorous and heavy lifting can raise your HR.

Hopefully this last bit of logic will get through, because frankly I've lost interest in this thread.
    The passive-aggressiveness is, frankly, unnecessary.

There are facts in each of those links. I didn't bother to point out the specific part of each link, but only included the links because I was asked for specific information and thought it would help. I won't bother pointing out the specific part in each link because you are bored and now, apparently, uninterested.

I was referring only to HRM's. Sorry you got confused.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level as 'sedentary' and for that reason I do log my cleaning activities. If I am *really* doing something that is vigorous that will get my heartrate up, I wear my HRM and log the calories that it shows. This is normally significantly higher than the MFP estimate and normally for this type of *actual* vigorous cleaning, my HRM shows me being 'in the zone' for the majority of the time I'm cleaning. Thus why my burn is higher than MFP's estimate for 'vigorous' cleaning I guess. If I'm doing only moderate activity, I do log it but I don't wear my HRM, I use the estimate given by MFP and I frequently low-ball the amount of time I spent cleaning just to be on the safe side. I want credit for my activity, but I'm afraid of over-estimating it and messing up my day without realizing it, so I log my time lower than what I actually did so that the estimate given is lower.

If I had my activity level set higher, I wouldn't log cleaning. But I set it to 'sedentary' so to me these things do count. Of course I don't log every time I wipe down a counter or give the kids a bath. LOL Only for when I'm cleaning for more than 30 minutes at a time and really moving around in the process. And I've been consistently losing weight. Obviously when I do 'real' exercise I burn much more, but in my view these small things add up. Just like each extra dessert added up over the years, so does my vaccuming and scrubbing bathtubs. ;-)
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    back to the original OP topic - how can standing burn a significant amount of calories compared to sitting down or lying down? other than boredom where I hop around on each foot?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    back to the original OP topic - how can standing burn a significant amount of calories compared to sitting down or lying down? other than boredom where I hop around on each foot?

Try measuring your HR standing vs sitting. It's higher.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah it actually takes effort to remain standing. Maybe not much but still more than laying down.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why do we repeatedly get threads about people complaining about what other people log? Why do you care? How does it affect you in any way? If you're really "friends" then you shouldn't be judging, and if you're judging them negatively, you need to remove yourself from their friend list because you're not being a friend, and you're not being supportive. What they log only affects them, so I'm not really sure why you give a crap.