sodium and scale....

Options
carajo
carajo Posts: 532 Member
Does anybody else link sodium intake to a rise on the scale? This morning the scale was up 5lbs.!!! Looking over my diary my sodium was really high! Whats the highest youve seen from sodium?? It has to be that because my calorie average for the week was 1590....also do you average calories weekly, or just daily...what works for you thanks!!!

Replies

• sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    too much sodium can cause water retention. but you do need some to be healthy especially if you are working out and sweating. SO finding a balance is the trick. a tip: drink herbal peppermint tea it helps releave water retention. I dont worry about my salt intake, I just dont add any to foods unless its a little. I drink peppermint tea everyday as much as I like and the scale agrees that it works for me. fyi peppermint tea can also help with sweet cravings. I add a little milk to mine to make it sweeter tasting without sugar.
  • andreaie
    andreaie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i never used to take note of my sodium but i do now and i think its the reason why we are up on the scales some weeks... try monitoring it and see if you notice a difference... i dropped 6.5lb this week although i think most of it was water retention i do think some of it was due to taking note of my sodium intake... im doing it again this week so hopefully ill have a drop on the scales..

i also started drinking more than my usual 10 glasses of water everyday to wash it out :)

good luck on your journey..
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I hate sodium but yes, having lots of sodium will show up on the scale. Chug that water!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I too am very sensitive to sodium. You have to keep up the water and watch the salt. I don't salt anything anymore. Excercise is good for sweating it out.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i just came across this: not sure how it will taste, but i will be trying.

Dandelion Root Tea
    Made from the roots of a common weed, dandelion tea is an effective remedy for bloating and other digestive symptoms. It can be used as a healthy substitute for coffee due to its rich, earthy flavor and has been used medicinally to relieve gas, bloating and other digestive complaints.
    According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, dandelion acts as a diuretic, increasing urination and decreasing water retention caused by hormonal fluctuations and other factors. It is also useful for treating symptoms stemming from poor digestion, and contains potassium, a mineral that is often deficient in people taking diuretics. It is a rich source of many nutrients, including vitamins A, B-complex, C and D as well as minerals such as magnesium, calcium and iron.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/96389-herbal-teas-gas-bloating/#ixzz1cHiXiylT
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options

Dandelion Root Tea
    Made from the roots of a common weed, dandelion tea is an effective remedy for bloating and other digestive symptoms. It can be used as a healthy substitute for coffee due to its rich, earthy flavor and has been used medicinally to relieve gas, bloating and other digestive complaints.
    According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, dandelion acts as a diuretic, increasing urination and decreasing water retention caused by hormonal fluctuations and other factors. It is also useful for treating symptoms stemming from poor digestion, and contains potassium, a mineral that is often deficient in people taking diuretics. It is a rich source of many nutrients, including vitamins A, B-complex, C and D as well as minerals such as magnesium, calcium and iron.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/96389-herbal-teas-gas-bloating/#ixzz1cHiXiylT

its actually not bad, I enjoy it and its good for your blood pressure. you can also get roasted dandiloion root, it has a coffee taste. Hibiscus tea or tea with hibiscus is good too.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    too much sodium can cause water retention. but you do need some to be healthy especially if you are working out and sweating. SO finding a balance is the trick. a tip: drink herbal peppermint tea it helps releave water retention. I dont worry about my salt intake, I just dont add any to foods unless its a little. I drink peppermint tea everyday as much as I like and the scale agrees that it works for me. fyi peppermint tea can also help with sweet cravings. I add a little milk to mine to make it sweeter tasting without sugar.

This^^
    Great advice :D
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options

Dandelion Root Tea

I mix 60oz of water, 1 bag of dandelion root tea, lemon and pure cranberry. I drink that throughout the day and it completely helps to de-bloat!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Dandelion Root Tea

I mix 60oz of water, 1 bag of dandelion root tea, lemon and pure cranberry. I drink that throughout the day and it completely helps to de-bloat!

Where would I get pure cranberry? Health food store?

Thanks for the tip! (do you drink this warm or cold? or room temp?)