30 Day Shred

Options
So what is this workout good for? Is it cardio?

Replies

• candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    So what is this workout good for? Is it cardio?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I love it! It works you out really good, makes you sore and sweat like a pig. I believe it is cardio and strength training. You use hand weights with the video. Most people that have it love it!
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    lol I just finished doing the shred not even 5 minutes ago! If you dont have time for the gym it is a great way to burn some calories....it really does push you!!:drinker:
    22 minutes for phase 1 and I burnt 265 cals!
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    It's a combination of strength and cardio. The dvd comes with 3 levels of workouts. The first level is what is suggested to start out with and then move on to level two and three when you feel ready. I have to say that it is a kick in the butt. I thought that level one would be easy since I train 6-7 days a week but it was NOT! I was more sore after the first day than I was after doing a half Iron Man.:noway: I tried level two today and have decided that I'm going to stick with level one for a few more days before moving on. :laugh:

Each level is about 20 minutes. She starts with a quick warm up and then you do 3 sets of 6 minutes. The six minutes are broken down into 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. Each set has different exercises so that you are not doing the same thing over and over again.

I got the dvd because of the feedback it received on this site and it was the best $7.98 I ever spent on Amazon. I'm logging it under circuit training since there isn't a specific exercise category for it. I burn about 200 calories while doing it according to MFP but some people who have HRM say they burn a lot more.

Jillian talks a lot during the workouts but there is the option to mute her and just keep the music which is a nice touch. She doesn't give a lot of instruction on the moves, just enough to not hurt yourself.

The one downside I have found is that you are not able to skip through the intro but that may just be my dvd player. This is easily remedied by putting the dvd on before you get dressed to workout.

For a quick workout, it is worth the investment.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the Shred!
    :flowerforyou:

I wear my heart rate monitor, and burn about 220-250 per 20 minute workout (similar to running) however you get a strength workout while you get a cardio workout - so added benefits!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the Shred!

I wear my heart rate monitor, and burn about 220-250 per 20 minute workout (similar to running) however you get a strength workout while you get a cardio workout - so added benefits!

Absolutely! This workout is the most intense 20 minutes I've ever done. I trained for a full marathon last year and I can honestly say my legs after 20 minutes with Jillian feel like I've run 10 miles. Plus, even though it is killing me I know that it is only 20 minutes so I don't back down and can truely give it my all.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If the last 20 minutes of a work out is most effect then how good is doing only 20 minutes?
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    Well I would say there's " 1-2 " hours of " phoning a workout.. and there's a 20 minute .. heck of a workout.. :)
    This 20 minutes make every second count.. I used to do all Billy Blanks dvd.s and i still love them.. ..once i got them the " boot camp ' dvd set.. and started them first time.. i would do the " warm up " and shut the dvd off.. I couldn't do another move.. -only the warm up ! and would get discouraged and put the dvd's away until my next "hi motivation, super melt down moment " which would be every 2-3 months " tomorrow i will start a diet- " kind of thing..

I never thought i could do a Billy Blank dvd.. never. .I thought i'm just to fat.. no way.. But one time after having them for a whole year.. i decided to do it .. do or die.. and i did it.. and I died a few times during the workout but i managed to come back somehow :tongue: No.w all of his dvd's are arround 45-55 minutes.. And i sweat and i get results etc.

Now i do Jillians 20 minutes.. she is killing me so far. .. the first couple of days i couldn't move.. i hated her.. and i was " disabeled " so to say. but i kept going.. after about 2 weeks I couldn't do her any more i was so sore and in so much pain..
    No guess what.. I decided to take one of the Billy Blanks dvd's .. which is 55 minutes.. and i didn't feel as handicapped as I was with her. I felt more that his dvd' was like " a break " from a workout !
    Don't get me wrong .. his dvd's are awesome i love them.. but don't underestimate Jillians 20 minutes :)
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    And I don't like the part of not being able to skip the " introduction part " but i figured since her warm ups are rough and hard for me - esp.. coming straight out of bed at 4.30 am.. I do some warm up on my own until it begins. and i just started muting her today too.. i think I learned the whole speach by heart now.. :)