Do Any Of You Have a Cheat Day?

Options
Just wondering how many dieters out there schedule a regular "cheat" day. There are programs out there that actually suggest it - Body for Life for example. Even Weight Watchers gives you "extra points" that could very well be used towards a cheat day. On top of that, I have heard that the Biggest Loser also gives contestants a cheat day once a week.

In the past, when dieting, I have given myself a cheat meal but eventually, that lead to a cheat day, and then a cheat weekend. I need to figure out how to bring balance to my way of eating. Because I need to kick start my weight loss, I am going to avoid cheat meals for right now. However, I believe that if I completely eliminate foods from my life, I will eventually cave and instead of eating one slice of cake, I'll eat the whole thing.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days...but not once a week. More like once or twice a month. It's planned, on the calendar. I look forward to it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I went over yesterday by oh...1000 calories. It was lovely.
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Saturdays is my weigh-in day, and after weigh-in is a kind of cheat day. I'll try to eat right for most of my meals but overall I'm more lax. I also give myself permission to indulge at one meal and not feel guilty. I will track what I eat at that meal though because I should still be accountable...but I just ignore it if the calories remaining is in red :)

In the past, I used to have a totally-open cheat day: I would eat whatever I wanted the entire day. It helped ease the monotony but I found that getting back in the saddle the next day was rather hard. The way I do it now, it's easier to get back in to a healthier eating routine on Sunday.

My birthday, however, is a 100% cheat day. I will be as decadent as I want to be!
  • scottbe07
    scottbe07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I plan mine about twice a month. I always make sure they are planned so I don't go overboard.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont really plan it. I try to make sure I behave during the week though bc on the weekends we are always out and busy, so I tend to eat a little more junk. I am getting better about not doing that though and really watching myself more and more on the weekends. I figure if you know there is a day during the week when you tend to eat/use more claories I would say just behave extra on the other days so you can enjoy yourself, guilt free on your bad/over calorie day =). Cant deprive yourself completely or you will binge eventually. So I eat my bad stuff I love in moderation =)
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My weekends are mine. I drink beer, and eat out....but do try and eat well for the most part. I find the longer I eat well, the less I actually crave bad stuff, so my cheat days aren't too awful. During the week I am pretty strict and I have been losing about 2 lbs a week. So- it works for me to have TWO days to not worry about calories too much.... It also keeps me sane, not 'letting' myself eat stuff I like once in a while would drive me nuts...mental health is important too.
  • Jenny1916
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, and have experienced all of the above! What I have learned is that you should never really cut any type of food completely. I let myself have one night a week where i have a sweet treat, since thats my weakness. If your craving that piece of cake, cookies or a cheeseburger, give your body what its craving but what i do is take a mental note of how many calories i just indulged on and make an extra effort to try and burn it off on my next workout. It has worked well for me so far. Hope this helps!
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    I choose to use "treat day" instead of "cheat day"...and yes I treat myself but in smaller portions--then back on track - Sunday is my treat meal... :drinker:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. I can't let myself let go like that.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day as such, but like periguine, i relax a little after my weigh in, altho i try n ensure i don't go overboard, maybe just having the odd little extra. I used to be like you, where i would have a full day which would turn into a weekend, then before you know it you're starting afresh from the next week, but i'm trying hard to break that cycle now and lose the extra pounds once and for all ;0)
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    However, I believe that if I completely eliminate foods from my life, I will eventually cave and instead of eating one slice of cake, I'll eat the whole thing.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this!

I agree. I find I do better if I let myself have treats in moderation. It eases the cravings. However, I do have some trigger foods that I find I have to totally cut out because I can't just eat a little of them--I will gorge.
  • TriciaAnn81
    Options
    I do have a cheat day, only one day a week (usually a weekend day). It has been good for me, it keeps me sane! I have still successfully lost 10 pounds in 1 month. I don't think a little "cheat day" once in awhile does any harm.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want when I want it, and I log it. Normally I'm under calories and if not, I head to the gym. My belief is that I can't cheat on life.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A so-called "cheat day" won't hurt you. If your cheat day turns into you forgetting all about your goals and nutrition for a whole week, then yes it will hurt you But then that's no longer a "cheat day"; that's falling off the wagon.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on the weekend.

I enjoy eating healthy now, and having the freedom to eat what I want makes me feel better mentally. And to be honest, I don't want to go on a crazy face-stuffing binge.

Personally, eating 1200 calories of salad every friggin day - just so I can "treat" myself to a cupcake once a month seems bizarre.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday. It usually ends up being more of a "cheat meal" and I try to keep it within reason but I don't get as strict about the rest of the day, either.
    I've kept the "cheat day" since I started and I still lost 40 pounds so I think it's totally do-able.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally am on a program where I plan my meals (using MFP) and report to another person daily. Being an active person, weekly luncheons and special events are a given. I plan my menu to suit the menu being served and balance the rest of the day to try to continually stay on program. I personally cannot have a cheat day...As you said, a cheat meal = cheat day = cheat weekend.
    "ONE DAY AT A TIME".
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days, and it is usually one day between Fridays and Sundays. I just have to pick which one it might be. Saying that, I don't "always" allocate one day each week to having something calorie free.

After being on calorie control for 8 months my body started to recognise when I was going to "let go" and eat whatever I wanted. So every now and then I would have to skip my calorie free day and leave it until the next weekend before I gave myself a treat. The longer I went without, and it pushed my weight loss a bit further - And even when the calorie free days were introduced again.

I will admit at times I find it hard. Sometimes a cheat day can turn into a whole cheat weekend if I'm not careful. I get tired easy because of rotating rosters in the workplace, and not having to fuss over calorie control or food restrictions over the wkends is tedious. So I make sure now to log in my foods in advance here on MFP beforehand.
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    every sunday :)
  • StaceyKeller71
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, and have experienced all of the above! What I have learned is that you should never really cut any type of food completely. I let myself have one night a week where i have a sweet treat, since thats my weakness. If your craving that piece of cake, cookies or a cheeseburger, give your body what its craving but what i do is take a mental note of how many calories i just indulged on and make an extra effort to try and burn it off on my next workout. It has worked well for me so far. Hope this helps!

I love this! Another poster posted that she logs what she ate because she still needs to be accountable. I think that is part of my problem. I want to be in denial about how many calories I consume on a cheat day. I can't stand to go into the red! lol I need to learn to be okay with that. It's denial that got me where I was when I started this whole thing. I think the most important thing in succeeding is being honest with ourseleves about what we are putting into our bodies be it go or bad.

Thanks for all the responses!