Women don't bulk up?

Options
I've read this thousands of times on various diet, fitness, health websites recently, but is that actually true?
I mean, most of my girl friends are doing a lot of exercising, and all of them have big, muscular legs, some even abs and very toned arms. Not female bodybuilder-big, but bulky. And none of them lifts weights - three girls are runners, one does volleyball, one dances and others are just generally active by stuff like rollerblading, occasional running etc. No special muscle gaining diets are involved as well - none of them watches their intake, as far as I know, and they don't eat much. And still, they really have a lot of visible lean mass. How is it so they get this look only from cardio activites?
I wouldn't want to get big legs from running, but I'm not going to stop anyway, because the health benefits are way more important, but what about (heavy) lifting? Is it worth it, and how big can I potentially get from it? I've read that in the first half a year of strength training you can gain muscle even when dieting, and I would really rather have the toned look of VS models than the bulky look of fitness models. I'm sorry for such a shallow post, but I'm really curious.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The reason you see the muscles is because of low body fat. When your body fat % is low the muscles start to show.

And from someone who sees fitness models as a huge inspiration, that are not "bulky" they are lean. Bulky is looking like a man. Which they don't.
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    I am still considered obese and you can see the muscles in my legs they are pretty defined. I am just having trouble with my waist but my ares and legs are getting pretty built
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Let's define "bulk". Bulk is the COMBINATION of muscle and fat being added on while in calorie SURPLUS. Muscularity and definition is the result of low body fat percentages from calorie deficit. If you don't want to look muscular, then don't get your body fat below 20% as a female. Hope this clears this up.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    three girls are runners, one does volleyball, one dances and others are just generally active by stuff like rollerblading, occasional running etc.
    only from cardio activites?

Because the aforementioned aren't just "cardio activities"

And how big you get depends on your personal body makeup, how heavy you lift, how often you lift in what combinations, what you are feeding your body and your macro ratios... among many other factors.

And my personal opinion is that VS models aren't "toned" at all... they're thin... but I see no muscle "tone."

There are many benefits for lifting weights... check out bodybuilding.com and do some research through research based resources b/c you'll find many many many opinions on here that are just that- opinions... and 95% of the responses you will get will have no foundation.
  • eliotta
    eliotta Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't mean muscular as muscle tone - I like that, and have that as well. I mean muscles like those rounded firm legs, if you know what I mean... I definitely do not consider "bulky" as looking like a men. I don't consider fitness women to look like men, but I don't strive to look as them.
    http://photos.posh24.com/p/344439/l/marisa_miller/marisa_miller_flexes_for_victoria_secret.jpg - I see quite a lot of muscle definition on a VS model here... But maybe it's just she's so thin her muscle is visible? I'm not very good at judging that...
    I guess the original question should sound how to make myself look like Miranda Kerr more than like Jessica Biel.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Muscles are beautiful!!!! I wish all women would embrace this.

VS models are generally the result of good genetics and not eating a lot. They most likely don't do workouts of any kind on a regular basis. These are not bodies that are earned or can be created. Lets stop comparing ourselves to these woman. There's a reason there are so few of them.

We are real women. We can be healthy, fit, strong and beautiful. Muscles show are commitment to a healthy live. Or desire to be fit and healthy. I can pick up my small children and throw them around. I can play sports with ease, ride mountain bikes, go on hikes, have fun. I can load 45lb bags of dog food all by myself, lift my heavy carry on into the over head bin on a air plane and I can rock a *kitten* bikini in a hot tub full of 23 year-olds and be healthiest there. I am proud of my strong fit, MUSCULAR body.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I guess the original question should sound how to make myself look like Miranda Kerr more than like Jessica Biel.

Well, then that's easy. Workout, strength train, just don't go below 20% body fat. Jessica Biel is one of my body idols.
    Options
    It is assumed that when you say "bulky" that you are talking about a women gaining muscle mass quickly and looking like a man. Just letting you know :]

Trust me you don't "accidentally" turn out like a fitness model if you dont want to, haha so no worries there :]

I looked up Miranda Kerr and can say she is very very thin. Long distance running can help get that look but its very hard. No muscle tone at all really :/
    Options
    http://photos.posh24.com/p/344439/l/marisa_miller/marisa_miller_flexes_for_victoria_secret.jpg - I see quite a lot of muscle definition on a VS model here... But maybe it's just she's so thin her muscle is visible?

Yes, it is because he is so thin. I wouldn't really call that muscle definition at all. Looks rather unhealthy to me :/
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    the leanest I have been as an adult - around 16% body fat I was still described like a victoria's secret body and I lifted weights all of the time...
  • eliotta
    Options
    Trust me you don't "accidentally" turn out like a fitness model if you dont want to, haha so no worries there :]

- That's what I read everywhere, yet my friends complain about being too muscley a lot when the topic is body image. And not just one or two, almost all of them really. And they're not on special diets nor they exercise all the time. They are just staying active and eating like a regular person, from what I see.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Some men and some women are bulky. Some men and some women are lean.

In my opinion, body fat percentage doesn't have anything to do with a person having a muscular body.
  • Rae6503
    Options

- That's what I read everywhere, yet my friends complain about being too muscley a lot when the topic is body image. And not just one or two, almost all of them really. And they're not on special diets nor they exercise all the time. They are just staying active and eating like a regular person, from what I see.

Yes, you can probably get more visible muscle size and definition than you want "on accident". What you and your friends need to do is change your opinion on muscles. MUSCLES ARE BEAUTIFUL.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body build. I am very muscular and I DO bulk up very quickly. I love rowing but noticed that my already broad back was getting broader and I have scaled back on rowing. I don't belong to a gym currently, but there is always some body builder type that always comes up to me and asks me if I am a body builder. SIGH .... I just want to look like a feminine woman .... NOT a body builder!
    Options

Here is a good example of a fitness model
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/arnold-classic-bikini-champion-wbff-pro-ingrid-romero-talks-with-simplyshredded-com-3.html

Very hard to accidentally get like that since they are training hard and diet is 100% in check

Its hard for me to get a good image of how muscular your friends look!

Take a look at my profile pics, Im not muscular and trying so hard to be! I play rugby, Lift heavy weights, do HIIT, and diet is in check... No fair!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yet my friends complain about being too muscley a lot when the topic is body image.

Then your friends, and from what I can tell, you, obviously don't want definition. That's fine. Unfortunately if you are genetically predisposed to gain muscle, you're gonna appear more muscular. You can't lengthen muscle without ripping it off the bone and reattaching it. I don't care what the yogis say, its just how you are built.

To be completely fair, muscle definition is made in the kitchen. Have your friends eat a few more sandwiches and they will see those muscle-y muscles fade. They will also see a general gain everywhere else too. Thats how calories in/calories out works.

Here's the thing, if you are looking to be a Paltrow, you're gonna have to just cut back your diet. No exercise, just minimal caloric intake. I swear I've read that diet she's on and the woman eats nothing but kale, I'm shocked she has any energy at all.

If you're hoping to be Cameron Diaz, you lift things up then put them down and get to eatin da good stuff.

I lift and box and jog. I know I've got the muscle because I can move my furniture without help, spend all day in the yard and end the day feeling tired, but not achey. However, I don't have a lot of definition because I'm around 22% body fat. I am generally happy here, but I want a bit more definition so I've got a goal of about 20% and depending on how I look there, I may set my sights down on 19%.

I wish you the best and I hope your desired look is what your body is meant to be.
  • eliotta
    Options
    Rachel: Yes, they are, and I seriously wish I'd want to be all muscley and strong, but I just want that "feminine and dainty look" if you know what I mean... Tiny and toned.
    Losingit2WIN: I guess that's the case with my friends too! Thanks for answer.
    Sunshine: This is just a random image thrown around, I'm sorry I couldn't find anything better: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/Gubernatrix/strength training/blondegirlsquat1.jpg but it's pretty much what I mean. My friends are a bit smaller, but in these muscley legs sums up what I imagined. By the way you look awesome!
    withervein: Not that I wouldn't want definition, I love definition, just not that kind of muscle that would make you ec. look bigger under a piece of clothing where you wouldn't be able to see that it's muscle and not fat... If that makes any sense at all. And thank you!