losing hair and diet

Options
I'm losing my hair alot and its really frizzy and wiry and alot of breakage and i'ts driving me crazy trying to figure what is causing this problem! it looks so unhealthy i cant even go out in public anymore! I started taking Phentermine in August and I have been eating healthier the past month or so and lost 13 lbs, i used to never eat fruits or veggies and now i eat carrots, apple slices, grapes, bananas and salads. I drink lots of water and i dont drink alcohol. I just had a trim 2 weeks ago. Im guessing its stress, but how do you not stress? and my dr said that it is not a side effect of the Phentermine.
anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    if you're diet is accurate(on the days you actually logged) then you are not eating enough, so instead of keeping your hair full and shiny your body is using all that it has to keep your organs alive.

You need to eat more, at least 1200 calories a day.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Losing too much weight too fast, having a major surgery, high stress situations, starving yourself -- all can effect this. I take biotin supplements to help --- but looking at your diary, you're either not really tracking your food or you're starving yourself.

EDIT: If I knew your height, weight, goal weight and activity level.. I could give you a better idea of your calories.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It could very well be the Phentermine. Meds are the most common for losing hair. Maybe think about getting off of it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    From your diary you really aren't eating enough. Not even close. As foremant86 said your body is trying to keep itself alive and is using what little you give it for that instead of making your hair nice. You should probably stop taking Phentermine for a while, start eating twice as much as you have and it should help.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I think the most likely reason is because you are not giving your body enough energy to keep all your bodily functions working right. Please eat more food, it's necessary.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here - you need to eat more.

You're body is starving itself... and using what you give it to keep you alive.
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    well the breakage started 2 weeks ago i have been on the Phentermine since august, its the only way i can lose weight! im just not hungry as much anymore, plus depression and stress doesnt help. I dont exercise everyday so thats why i dont eat alot!
    i am 5 foot 3 inches currently weight between 160-163 lbs, i cant remember my weight in aug maybe 173 i will check when i go for a checkup on thurs.
    I also started taking biotin and vitamin c about a week ago and doing oil/egg treatment and only washing it twice a week and no hair dryer etc
    I just dont know what to eat anymore!
  • rsparks38
    Options
    I had this problem a long time ago when I took phentermine, I will tell you that after I stopped the phentermine it started to grow back.
  • Jorra
    Options
    well the breakage started 2 weeks ago i have been on the Phentermine since august, its the only way i can lose weight! im just not hungry as much anymore, plus depression and stress doesnt help. I dont exercise everyday so thats why i dont eat alot!
    i am 5 foot 3 inches currently weight between 160-163 lbs, i cant remember my weight in aug maybe 173 i will check when i go for a checkup on thurs.
    I also started taking biotin and vitamin c about a week ago and doing oil/egg treatment and only washing it twice a week and no hair dryer etc

If you don't feel like eating more food, eat more calorie dense foods. Eat nuts, peanut butter, avocado, cheese, and meats. It may sound counter-intuitive to eat higher calorie foods to lose weight, but honestly, your health takes top priority. I'm not saying you have an eating disorder, but your caloric intake is currently similar to someone who does have anorexia. If you think your hair is suffering, think about what's going on inside you, there are a lot of serious health consequences to eating so little.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try taking vitamin A, and Zinc......
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ok well check out todays food intake!
  • Jorra
    Options
    ok well check out todays food intake!

That's one way to up it! Sounds delicious. The trick is now to incorporate a higher intake like that into your every day life.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Did your MD check your thyroid levels? Hyperthyroid can cause hairloss.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Did your MD check your thyroid levels? Hyperthyroid can cause hairloss.

What she said. My hair dresser knew I had a thyroid problem before the doctor did. Would not hurt to get it checked to at least rule out as the problem. It is a simple blood test.
  • claricejean
    claricejean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done 1000 calorie diets in the past and after about 6 weeks or so I would notice lots of hair loss, too. It was always the reason I would go back to more calories (that, and the fact I could not live happily on 1000 cal a day). This time I am doing the recommended wt loss of 1-1.5 lbs a week and no hair loss at all. I would be more suspicious of too few calories.
  • jenni177
    Options
    This happened to me when I was about 2-3 months into another diet. I went to the doc and she said it is perfectly normal and it happens on all diets no matter how healthy they are. She said it is just your body adjusting to the shock of not eating rubbish all the time and it thinks because you are eating less that there is something wrong so it shuts off hair folicles. It is kinda fustrating at first but your hair grows back better and healthier but if you are concerned then just go and see your doctor.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Check out a friends food diary. You can do it with out the drugs. It's not supposed to be easy.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein and fats? Both are essential for our bodies.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Check out a friends food diary. You can do it with out the drugs. It's not supposed to be easy.

What he said. Be strong. Push yourself.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein and fats? Both are essential for our bodies.

This. Eat more in general, and make sure you get enough protein/fats/nutrients.