How do I log vacation walking hours?

Options
MFPers.....I'm going to New York in a couple of days, and will be walking EVERYWHERE! [We're taking the train in so we won't even have a car.] How am I even supposed to account for all of the walking I will be doing? It will be scattered throughout an entire day in sporadic amounts...I need ideas! I'm still going to do my squats, crunches and dips....no slacking for this girl!

Thanks!

Replies

• smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In the past I have done walking 2.0 mph and split my time in half or 2/3 (depending on how much I actually felt I walked). If you walk for 8 hours I would do 4 or 5 hours at 2.0 speed to account for stopping/sitting/etc.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Say you are out for 6 hours walking and you stop to look at things. I would say that I walked about half that time. That way you are at least not logging more then you did. Thats what I did when my husband and I went to the mountains. :smile:
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Unless you are sweating I would log 2.0 mph slow pace... Good for you keeping up with you other exercises!!!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just did this in DC. I looked at my watch when we left the hotel and backed out any breaks/lunches/train rides until I was back and sitting on my *kitten*. For the most part I did between 2.5 and 3 mpf an hour at least 5-6 hours per day, depending on street walking vs. museum. Sightseeing is a great way to burn calories!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    have a great time! fun city and easy to navigate. be careful what you eat...lots of great stuff but you might have to spluge a little!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It does depend on what your profile is set at... In other words don't log every little walk between stores if your lifestyle is set for light or mod active... If it's sedentary then you can add up brisk walks - I.e. Walked 3.0 mph for 20 min if you do walk consistent etc... Otherwise if it's window shopping not sure I'd log it. I like to be conservative when it comes to that kind of exercise so It doesnt look like i have burned more calories than I really have... But just a thought - anyway have fun in NY!! It's a great city...