POST-PARTUM PACK - October 31

Options
OCTOBER 31

THIS WEEK’S TASK: EAT UP… VEGGIES AND FRUIT!
We could all use a little more of these healthy, vitamin and mineral packed foods! They come in every colour and texture imaginable, and are generally quite low in calories. This week, make an extra effort to increase your intake of these nutrition powerhouses!

THIS WEEK’S POLL: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE “UNDER 200 CALORIE” SNACKS?
If you are like me, then you have likely made snacking a daily ritual. It helps me to make better choices if I plan to have snacks and have good choices around me, and it helps me to stick with this lifestyle change if I have some not-as-good choices around that are still able to fit into my calorie limit! Share with us some of your favourite snacks (both good for you and indulgent!) – as long as they are 200 cals or less! (Not a bad idea to mention in your post what country you live in – since some snack brands will be quite region specific!!)

MY RESPONSE: (Note: I live in Canada! :flowerforyou: )

Healthy Snacks

- yoghurt: I like the Astro Balkan Style yoghurt, and I add ground flax seed to it…yum!)

- cheese: although it is a waste of packaging, I tend to buy things like cheesestrings because they are easy to grab and eat – no cutting involved

- nuts: pecans and walnuts are my favourites. 20 halves of pecans or 14 halves of walnuts – both servings are under 200 calories and are filling. Yes, they have fat in them – but it’s the good kind!!

- veggies and dip: I know the dip packs quite a bit of calories, so I always measure out the serving ahead of time so that I know how much I am eating. If it means I’ll eat more veggies – great! The veggies are so low in calories, it totally balances out. My favourite veggies to eat this way are broccoli, cucumber, and carrots.

Indulgent Snacks

- Skinny cow products are yummy, satisfy my ice cream cravings, and are low calorie!

- Any mini chocolate bars…although I can’t have just one (yet), I save my chocolate for the end of the day, so that I make sure I have room in my calorie allotment. Chocolate is my total weakness…If I could put it in its own food group, I would…

- Smartfood white cheddar popcorn (100 cal bag) – When I have a salt craving, this one satisfies! You can get 100 cal bags of chips, but the portion is so small, it leaves you feeling disappointed. I find the larger volume of the popcorn much more gratifying.

- Lindt dark chocolate – need I say more? If you take only 2-3 squares, you stay under the 200 calories, and the richness of the chocolate is fantastic.

- Nutthins – I like the almond cheddar cheese crackers – salty, crunchy goodness at only 130 calories per serving!

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US, HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

- Add “The POST-PARTUM PACK – It took us 9 months to pack on the pounds…Watch us take them off!” to your signature, so that we can recognize fellow PPP members.

- Respond to this post and introduce yourself to the group.

- I will post a new thread at the start of each week…find the link to the new thread at the end of the one from the week before!

- Have fun! The idea is not to add stress to your already busy life, or that you participate in every challenge or poll. It is just another way to connect with other moms, without ending up with hundreds of friends…

- Although this group was originally envisioned for mothers of children 3 and under, all moms are welcome to join!

Replies

• livehappe
    livehappe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great topic and great task! I have been doing better in the veggie area this week! It feels great to eat cleaner.
    I learned some new snack/treat recipes this week that I love. I just started a program called the 40-30-30 Formula. I did a quiz in a Jillian Michael's book about what type of oxidizer I am, and based on this, I was directed to try a 40-30-30 (percentage of carbs, protein and fat) plan.
    So, I bought this book called the Formula that contains hundreds of meals, snacks and desserts with this breakdown. Anyways, there is a great recipe for cheesecake at 150 cals a slice, and another fave is the protein shakes, which are made with fructose and are quite a delight.
  • goodntentions
    goodntentions Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween!

My main in between meal snacking has been nuts. Whole almonds have been a great way to curb my appetite. Serving size is 24 almonds at 160 calories, but I usually only end up eating half of that for 80 calories. I also have been eating some cottage cheese at 90 calories per half cup. My UNhealthy snack is usually ice cream at night after dinner. I've been able to withhold from eating it the last week so I'm proud of myself...unfortunately that may be because I've been eating some of my son's halloween candy haha. Anyway, I start the couch to 5k running plan last week and BOY is running my weakness but I made it through the first week and start the 2nd week today. I want to be able to run a 5k race. It would be awesome!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I am actually have a lot of trouble with snacks. I'm not a very snacky person, when I sit down to eat, I want to EAT and be full from it. My main issue is around 4pm when leaving work, I am hungry after eating lunch at 11:30, So I try a snack, but it is never enough and when I get home at 6pm to start making dinner I begin to eat everything in the kitchen. I am working on curbing this habit, but I am still hungry at that time. I have tried apples, other fruit, fiber one bars etc but have yet to successfully stop overeating in the evening. Right now i'm working on a few additional snacks that were suggested to me in another thread. it seems protein helps me feel fuller vs just fiber and carbs.

-laughing cow cheese wedge with triscut thin crisps. Actually good, seems satisfying
    -greek yogurt...still not sure about this one, not sure if i like it or not yet. its weird tasting. I just tried fage total cherry which was ok but then I tried the fage mango one and didn't like it.
    -babybel cheese with triscuts
    -next week: trying hummus and triscuts or stick veggies
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Great task! I'm a vegetarian so I eat only veggies. I eat 4-5 different ones through out the day so I'm covered there! I absolutely am not a fruit person. The only fruits I eat are guavas, pears and maybe an apple or grapes/raisins once in a while. I need to up my fruit intake, good challenge!

I live in India and here are some of my fav snacks.

1) Popcorn - Filling and the ready packs available here are 100 cals. And I can never finish a pack :)
    2) Nuts, especially almonds. I eat about 15(170 cals)
    3) I love the Ragi biscuits available in the stores here. Three biscuits are 113 cals and Ragi(Millet) is a better grain than rice/wheat(Carb wise).
    4) Dahi(Home made yogurt) is another favourite. It's 160 cals per cup and I generally can eat only half. I include atleast 1 cup in my diet because of the added calcium and proteins.
    5) I love grilled Paneer(cottage cheese sort of like tofu) tikkas. 3 pieces are only 117 cals and I generally make the paneer at home too so I know it's made from low fat milk.
    6) Sometimes I eat 2 dosas with chutney powder. I curb this because it has enough carbs for a whole meal but if I'm way under my carb intake I indulge. The dosas are about 92 cals and the chutney powder 28 cals. Added bonus - Chutney powder is made of lentils so some proteins get added to my diary.
    7) I sometimes make veggie/lentil soup and a bowl full is about 150 cals according to the recipe calculator here.
    8) A bowl of plain oatmeal with raisins(no milk or sugar). The oatmeal is about 140 cals a bowl and I add 1/2tbsn or around 25 raisins to it which is 39 cals.

I love chocolates and sweets but I curb all sweets/chocolate since I can never stop at one :) I eat raisins or try a fruit when I have a bad craving.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, snacks!

Nuts are great, and I love peanut butter on an apple!

I also love those little cans of tuna (either in a snack pack with crackers, or just spread on some sliced cucumber or red peppers). Spicy Thai chili is so good!

Babybel light and a pear go nicely together.

I also keep a box of turkey cranberry slider burgers in the freezer. Those make pretty awesome snacks on a piece of toast or something.
  • CourtneyLeigh83
    CourtneyLeigh83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My favorite under 200 calorie snacks?
    - honey crisp apples (on their own or with some peanut butter)
    - 100 calorie smart food sweet and salty popcorn
    - any yogurt
    - popsicles
    - carrots, celery, cucumber and broccoli with some salad dressing or peanit butter
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    robincsmall - That cheesecake sounds too good to be true! I love cheesecake...

goodntentions - Good luck with your running program - looking forward to hearing how it goes!

bluestarlight19 - There is nothing like feeling hungry to ruin any good intentions. I hope your new snack routine works. I find that sometimes I get busy and forget to have my morning snack...Then, when I realize it, I'm already so hungry and the snack just doesn't satisfy!! Have you tried eating your snack before you are feeling hungry? Maybe it can prevent it? Who knows - just a thought!

pmur - Grilled paneer tikkas - that sounds AMAZING! I love paneer...I have always wanted to try making some myself, but have never gotten around to it...Do you find having fruit satisfies your sweet craving? So far, I have found it doesn't for me...

feydruss - I love the spicy thai chili tuna too!! It is one of my low calorie lunches - when I know I am going to be eating out and having a big dinner, I throw it onto 2 cups of greens and I'm good to go. I've never thought of eating it with crackers or veggies...I should totally try this!

CourtneyLeigh83 - I've never tried this flavour of smartfood...sounds yummy!
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My fave under 200 calorie snacks....

Nothing too creative I am afraid.

1) Fruit, fruit & fruit. Apples, grapes, oranges, pomegranate...it's fruit then I love it.
    2) Prepackaged 100 calories snack bags are kept in the car & diaper bag for when I am out and about (& usually have forgotten to grab a snack before I left). Even though it is likely not the best environmentally or financially, I buy 100 calorie bags of almonds, cheese strings, and things like that so that I don't over eat and don't pick something more unhealthy because I haven't had time to portion it out myself.
    3) Special K Bars ~ definetly my weakness and something I am trying to kick. Not that they are extrememly bad for you or anything like that, I just feel that they also are not that healthy for you and that I eat them way too often.
    4) Turkey Pepperettes - 60 calories for one
    5) My most recent love is Perrier Water....I know, I know.....I thought only old ladies loved club soda too. But I literally only drink water while I am breastfeeding (and only water & coffee when I am not with the occassional diet coke thrown in there) I just get bored sometimes!
  • McCallsmommy
    McCallsmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great task! I had a salad for lunch and a protein shake with fruit for a snack. It's a good thing to think about when I'm going to the fridge to start a meal.

Snacks:
    I love peanut butter, but it's so high in fat... I recently discovered PB2 - It's powdered peanut butter (sounds horrible, right? but it's soooo not!!), and it is delicious. You just add water, and it's 45 calories for two tablespoons. It still has all the protein of peanut butter, and there are no weird fillers or anything. And there's a chocolate variety that is awesome! But you can only get it online at http://bellplantation.com/. (how do you insert a link?) So, I like chocolate PB2 on an apple, or bread, or anything. I'm not a sales rep for them, but all they need to do is ask!

I am all about Skinny Cows - the vanilla ice cream sandwiches are my favorite! And they're big enough that I really feel like I've indulged.

I also like Diana's Banana Babies in the dark chocolate flavor. They're a little higher in fat, but they're under 200 calories, and I get my chocolate fix and a serving of fruit.

Bake Doritos are fun - sometimes nothing will replace that orange cheese powder. But that's a "sometimes" snack.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!

I don't let more than about 2 hours pass without eating, so snacks are an absolute necessity for me. Snacking is great b/c you never allow yourself to get so hungry that you'll overeat. I try to eat snacks/meals that are higher in protein & fiber b/c it definitely keeps you full for longer.. I do a 40/30/30 or 40/40/20 ratio (protein/carbs/fat) also b/c I heard it's helpful with that mummy tummy:wink:

My favorites:

Fiber One or Special K Fiber Plus bars ~130 calories in a wide variety of flavors. I personally feel more full with the Fiber One bars, and they make a 90 calorie version too

Tuna Salad with an added hardboiled egg for extra protein: 1 can albacore tuna plus smart balance omega 3 mayo 1/2tbsp and 1/2 egg ~160 calories

100-calorie Deli Thin Multigrain/Whole Wheat Sandwich with Sliced Deli meat (Turkey/Chicken Breast) add mustard for taste ~145-170cal, depending on meat

Sugar Free Fudgsicles at nite to get my "chocolate fix" ~40 calories each

I LOVE greek yogurt, but it definitely takes some getting used to b/c it is thicker than normal yogurt. Experiment with the different brands/flavors to find the one you like best. I like Dannon/Oikos Blueberry or Yoplait Key Lime Pie : ~120cal or ~160cal

This topic is kind of making me hungry!:tongue: I chew strong minty gum in between my snacks when I just can't shake a craving/hunger. If I still feel hungry after the gum has lost its flavor, I'll go ahead and have another snack if it's been at least an hour.. just something that works for me.

Have a wonderful week everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • Lisahorstkamp
    Lisahorstkamp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    eating more fresh fruits and veggies was my personal goal for the week. I took a look at last week (my first week using this app) and noticed I had a huge void in the veggies I have been eating. My fave under 200 snacks/meals are Total cereal plain with almonds milk with a few crasins and a drop of vanilla flavoring- filing flavor packed and full of vitamins for my baby boy! Right at 200 cals. Yogurt black cherry 170. 3 cups of water melon 140! Banana-110.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I am actually like bluestarlight19 - I don't snack much I want to EAT.. which is probably my downfall. The more I look at people's success stories and the more I study their food diaries, I see eating often and eating clean is how they do it. Now if I could just adopt their behaviors!

I love all the snack ideas you ladies have provided, these are all a great start for me.

Have a great week pals!
  • NiennaMarie
    Options

I also like Diana's Banana Babies in the dark chocolate flavor. They're a little higher in fat, but they're under 200 calories, and I get my chocolate fix and a serving of fruit.

These sound yummy!! Wish they did them here!

I'll give my answers later, right now I am far too tired!!
  • feydruss
    Options
    I too am woefully lacking fruit and veg, Lisa! I feel like if I don't have many calories to work with, protein fills me up more! But I have to remember I can get more VOLUME in fruit and veggies, which might help...
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Carolina - Making Paneer Tikka is very easy if you have a grill. Just marinate the paneer and grill. I use low fat yogurt and spices to marinate mine :)
    Regarding fending off cravings, raisins seem to do the trick for me! I see you can eat a small treat and be done with it, so that's good. I can never eat a tiny helping of "Chocolate" anything! I have to avoid. It took me all my will power to eat a tiny piece of cake this afternoon for my friend's birthday lunch and refuse a second helping!
  • McCallsmommy
    Options
    Hello, Mommies!

I'm checking in. I'm focusing on fruits and veggies, and it's really making it easier to keep my overall calories down. You can eat so many more veggies and really fill up!

I'm looking forward to more snack ideas.

My husband and I have been kicking around the idea of having a simple meal plan to follow, so we eat the same things on a regular basis. We both impulse buy junk food at the grocery store... We figure, if we had a simple plan, we wouldn't do that anymore, and we would save money. Any ideas of where to start?
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hello, Mommies!

I'm checking in. I'm focusing on fruits and veggies, and it's really making it easier to keep my overall calories down. You can eat so many more veggies and really fill up!

I'm looking forward to more snack ideas.

My husband and I have been kicking around the idea of having a simple meal plan to follow, so we eat the same things on a regular basis. We both impulse buy junk food at the grocery store... We figure, if we had a simple plan, we wouldn't do that anymore, and we would save money. Any ideas of where to start?

We have to do this because often times, money is tight. I do it by week. I check out the grocery circular and see whats on sale and plan a weeks work of dinners/ lunches/snacks from that and write my list with my hubby there while we are looking at it. We also buy meat that is on sale and freeze it in meal sized portions, usually for oven meals because its easier to bake frozen meat. My mother used to have a recipe box, and she numbered the recipes. On the start of every month she would put a number on each day of the month for what she was planning to cook, and would modify it if things turned up on sale or what not.
  • feydruss
    Options
    Why oh why do my children insist on getting up at 5:30-6am right now? If they got up at 7, then that's fine. I can deal with it and do 30DS. But at 5:30, I just don't have the energy!
  • McCallsmommy
    Options
    We have to do this because often times, money is tight. I do it by week. I check out the grocery circular and see whats on sale and plan a weeks work of dinners/ lunches/snacks from that and write my list with my hubby there while we are looking at it. We also buy meat that is on sale and freeze it in meal sized portions, usually for oven meals because its easier to bake frozen meat. My mother used to have a recipe box, and she numbered the recipes. On the start of every month she would put a number on each day of the month for what she was planning to cook, and would modify it if things turned up on sale or what not.

Those are great ideas! Thank you. I'm starting tonight!

feydruss - I am so there with you!!! Ugh!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why oh why do my children insist on getting up at 5:30-6am right now? If they got up at 7, then that's fine. I can deal with it and do 30DS. But at 5:30, I just don't have the energy!

I totally understand! Every time I think I've figured out my little guy's schedule...he changes on me! Makes it hard to stick to my workouts. I haven't had a lot of success the past few days - here is hoping I can do better this week!