Erasing MFP friends

Options
This may not be important to some, but to me it is. I am currently on the move, I am military and I had a huge transition. I want to let all of you know u should not erase ur MFP friends just u have not seen them for a couple of weeks, if you are truly their to motivate them and for them to motivate u, maybe u should wait and see what has happened to them. It was so discouraging to see a couple of my online MFP buddies erase me. when I had no control of what was happening in my life. BUt if you are a good online buddy please add me. There are some who stayed and I say thanks to them. To others please stop calling people here ur friends if all u r gonna do is erase them when they may need the most motivation.
Thanks just needed to vent.

Replies

• JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually send messages to those i talk to who haven't showed up in a while. One time a woman told me her daughter was really sick and couldn't log on. So yeah i dont delete right away. If i do delete it is because i have never seen them comment on my status, i never see them log in and we never talk.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    Just like people have their own reasons for not being online, people also have their own reasons for deleting people. When it comes down to it, this is an individual journey for us all and we can all choose who to surround ourselves with. If you don't like being deleted because someone didn't know what was going on with you, I would suggest not being so judgemental with the person who deleted you as you may not know what is going on with them.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I haven't deleted any of my friends. I know people talk about it a lot but I don't see why I would. If they are not logging on then they are not taking space on my page anyway. If they come back I want them to have a familiar face. The only way I would delete someone is if they repeatedly offended me or my friends.

Oh, and thanks for serving!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If a friend is gone for a whole month I delete. Unless they left a message saying how long they will be gone. If they come back they are welcome to re-friend me if they wish. I like to keep my list under 100 people.

I am not upset at all if I am deleted, this isn't the real world :wink:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    if I know someone, feel close to them and know the reason why they have not or are not going to be on, I will not delete. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, but they're probably getting deleted.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I know its not the real world,But its still a place we meet people and we motivate each other, is that not real? I am not being judgmental, I am just sharing my experience...Goodness, this is a place where I meet people who are going through some of the similar things I am going through. Its just how I feel. I was sharing cause maybe someone else went through it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Now here is how I see it - a true friend would say "hey - I am going to be away for a while - don't worry about me - I will be back...." or log on when "the **** hits the fan" and say "hey pals - so&so is happening - I am not sure when I will be back"....... a true friend does not just dissapear - and not let their friends know where they are.....

I do delete people after a month - just because those pesky messages are just that - pesky..... but I am very happy for them to add me back when they do come back online ......

So there are two sides to each and every story - yours and the other person's ;-)

Hope you are settling into your new place - good luck....
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I will delete if people who request me do not provide support for an extended amount of time. I want to give my support and encouragements to those who are on the same path as me. I usually send a couple of messages to those who haven't logged in for a while to check how they are doing. If I don't hear any feedback then I will delete. I want to keep my friend list at a manageable list and want to be able to support those who provide me support and who are active on working toward their goals.

I realize that we are all busy people with life outside of MFP, but I will support those who support me.
  • caterpillardreams
    Options
    Now here is how I see it - a true friend would say "hey - I am going to be away for a while - don't worry about me - I will be back...." or log on when "the **** hits the fan" and say "hey pals - so&so is happening - I am not sure when I will be back"....... a true friend does not just dissapear - and not let their friends know where they are.....

I do delete people after a month - just because those pesky messages are just that - pesky..... but I am very happy for them to add me back when they do come back online ......

So there are two sides to each and every story - yours and the other person's ;-)

Hope you are settling into your new place - good luck....

I can see where u r coming from, thank you for explaining that.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I delete people that ask me to be their friend, don't send a message with it and after a week don't interact in any way. I also notice that most of them have HUNDREDS of friends and I don't want to be part of the "collection". It is hard to keep up with the few that I have made. I like to encourage people on their posts....exercise, food diary, and anything that they want help with. I am here to lose weight, eat healthy and find a way to make exercise a part of my life forever-not to be the popular one with the most friends. If they want to be friends with everyone to make a huge collection there is another site for that...it is called facebook.

I am sorry your friends deleted you. Maybe if you put up a post on your page that you would be unavailable for a while they would not delete you? There are lots of people on here, I am sure that you will make new friends!

Good luck on your journey!
  • caterpillardreams
    Options
    Thank u all for your reply's I know its just an online community, trust me I have a life, I have a family, I guess I have been so stressed with all that has been going on in my life, that I never thought to leave a post only because I did not know what would be going on would have kept me away. I don't expect people to come to my calling. I was just looking to be uplifted a bit. probably just made more of it then it was.