Thai curry - under 350 calories per serving!

Options
ShannonMpls
ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
I love Thai curries - here is a version that is MUCH lower in calories than take-out. And honestly, if you use a good curry paste, it's almost as good.

Now, regarding the curry paste: the Thai Kitchen stuff is pretty awful. Our regular stores often have the Maesri brand, and it's the kind I buy at the Asian grocery too. It comes in cans that look like this:

maesri_yellowcurry_c.jpg

I take no responsibility for how this tastes with different curry pastes! Though if you make your own paste, please teach me how :)

Anyway, this recipe is versatile and can be made with shrimp, tofu, chicken, whatever - just change cooking times as needed for whatever protein source you use. You can also substitute veggies as you prefer. I've tried this basic curry recipe with red, yellow, panang, and massaman curry pastes. I'm posting the massaman version because that's what I made tonight.

Oh, and this might be lower calorie, but it's certainly not low sodium! It's Thai food, after all.

Enjoy!

Massaman Sweet Potato Curry
serves 5

1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chopped shallots
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp finely minced lemongrass (tough outer layers removed)
2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/3 cup sliced red onion
2-3 tbsp Maesri curry paste (more or less to taste)
1 tsp sambal oelek (or other chili paste)
2 cans (13-14 oz) light unsweetened coconut milk (I use the Trader Joe's version; it's my favorite)
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
2 cups peeled sweet potatoes, sliced into half moons
6 ounces broccoli florets
1 red pepper, julienned (about 1 cup)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly
cilantro for garnish

Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and onion to the pan; stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and chili paste. Stir 2-3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, fish sauce, sugar, and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until the sweet potatoes are beginning to become tender (I didn't time this. Sorry!)

Add the chicken, red pepper, and broccoli. Return to a boil, and let the curry simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are your desired tenderness. Taste; you may need to add more curry or chili paste depending on how spicy you like it.

Serve garnished with cilantro; can be eaten as a soup or with rice or rice noodles. We like them all!

As made above, this is the nutritional breakdown per serving (this does not include rice or noodles):
337 cals
14g fat (6.6 sat; 2 mono)
875mg sodium (told you so!)
30g carb
6g fiber
10g sugar
25g protein
190% vit a
151% vit c

Replies

• pipesdreams
    Options
    Yum! I might try this out next week. Need to find a decent, low-calorie curry paste... and realllly light coconut milk!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yum! I might try this out next week. Need to find a decent, low-calorie curry paste... and realllly light coconut milk!

Good luck! My curry paste was pretty low cal, but not low sodium ;)