Running headaches

Options
Hey guys

I've only been doing it for a few months but I LOVE running. The problem is that every time I run, I get a wicked headache later in the day. This only happens when I run. I can walk for hours and burn the same amount of calories but no headache. It's not dehydration as I'm drinking the whole time I'm running. It's not lack of food as I have breakfast before I go and eat plenty for the rest of the day (staying within my calories). Does this or has this happened to anyone else? Any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes, this often happens to me, too. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on why this is.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I used to get BAD headaches after running and for me, it was dehydration. Are you drinking during your run as well as before and after? That has been the fix for me.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I get them too.... but I walk and jog and a few hours later I will have a headache :( Weird. I also eat about 2 hours before going and I always drink plenty of water.
  • Mrsbelch
    Options
    Yeah definitely drinking lots as I thought thats what it might be but it hasn't fixed it at all. So annoying :frown:
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    WHERE ARE YOUR HEADACHES? THERE COULD BE A FEW REASONS YOU ARE GETTING THEM. ONE IN DEHYDRATION - YOU NEED ABOUT 8 GLASSES OF WATER AND MORE WHEN YOU EXERCISE, HOW MUCH MORE DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU SWEAT. ARE YOU GETTING YOUR CALLORIES FOR RUNNING FROM PROTIEN? OR SUGAR? DO YOU WEAR A REALLY SUPORTIVE BRA? IF NOT YOU CAN HURT YOUR BACK AND GET VERY BAD HEADACHES, WHAT ABOUT YOUR SHOES? THEY WILL ALSO HAVE AN EFFECT ON YOUR BACK AND HEAD! IF IT KEEPS UP MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEE A SPORTS PHYSIO. GOOD LUCK.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    WHERE ARE YOUR HEADACHES? THERE COULD BE A FEW REASONS YOU ARE GETTING THEM. ONE IN DEHYDRATION - YOU NEED ABOUT 8 GLASSES OF WATER AND MORE WHEN YOU EXERCISE, HOW MUCH MORE DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU SWEAT. ARE YOU GETTING YOUR CALLORIES FOR RUNNING FROM PROTIEN? OR SUGAR? DO YOU WEAR A REALLY SUPORTIVE BRA? IF NOT YOU CAN HURT YOUR BACK AND GET VERY BAD HEADACHES, WHAT ABOUT YOUR SHOES? THEY WILL ALSO HAVE AN EFFECT ON YOUR BACK AND HEAD! IF IT KEEPS UP MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEE A SPORTS PHYSIO. GOOD LUCK.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea about the shoes and the bra....but I am in the market for both..... I will have to do that ASAP and see how that works. Thanks for the info!
  • reharvrun
    Options
    I'm a runner too! Have been running since March. I will get headaches sometimes but haven't from running in a long time. I think drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps and I usually eat a protein bar before I run. I know a lot of people don't eat before they run but that would give me a headache. Just make sure you are eating enough protein and drinking plenty of water. Hope this helps and good luck with your running. It sure does drop the weight!
  • Mrsbelch
    Options
    Thanks for that. Yes for all of your questions but I hadn't thought of seeing a physio about it. I have also wondered whether I'm overheating? Unsure how to get around that though.
  • Mrsbelch
    Options
    .......and I usually eat a protein bar before I run.

Might give this a go too

• 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lots of things could cause this... Google "exercise induced headache" and you will see a ton of results.

How long are you running for? My story...

I used to get nasty headaches after my "long run" each week - I would feel fine for 2-3 hours after running, then around 4 hrs the headache would set in. I was drinking plenty of water/electrolyte and urination seemed to prove that I was hydrated... BUT thru trial and error I determined that I needed to replace a LOT of electrolyte - much more than I had been using. So, now I drink electrolyte and also use salt pills when I run long or in the heat, then 20-40 oz electrolyte after a long run and it keeps the headaches away :smile:

If you are worried about calories from the electrolyte drink, try Nuun or CamelBak tablets - drop them in water they fizz to dissolve but they are less than 10 calories and NOT full of artificial sweeteners like G2.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I used to get headaches during or after I went running. I talked to my naturopath and she said even though I'm drinking lots of water it's the electrolytes that are off. When we run/sweat we lose a lot of our electrolytes and water doesn't replenish that, it usually flushes more out. Since I have added electrolyte powder to my water during and after my runs I haven't experienced the headaches I used to.

could be that.
  • Mrsbelch
    Options
    Running for about an hour. Have been using Powerade isotonic for the electrolyte replacement but don't like using too much because of the cals. Will definitely look for the camelbak/nuun tabs and try that. Sounds like that could be it :smile:

Thanks so much for all of the great advice guys