Weird water retension

Options
I’ve reached my target weight and am now on maintenance, but my body is being really weird with water retention.

I’ve never really even believed water retention until now. But for the last few weeks, I’ve started to gain weight during the weekdays (a lb a day sort of range), noticed it and started dieting (sensibly) again, with no effect on my weight gaining. Then at the weekends, I’ve been going away to see my boyfriend, we have meals out, loads of chocolate, everything that is bad, and each time I’ve been so disheartened by my weight gain despite my best efforts during the week, that I’ve completely pigged out on both days (3000 cals or so on BOTH DAYS!). Then on Sunday, this might be too much information, but I spend most of the day peeing and come back and weight myself and I’m lighter after the weekend in the evening than Saturday morning weigh-in after a weeks worth of dieting.

I’m like losing four-six pounds every Sunday of water weight. Even though I know this now, I suspect that it’s going to mess up my maintenance (either I panic at scales and diet until I’m way skinny, or lose the will – think OMG I’ve messed up my metabolism, even on a diet I’m gaining weight – and comfort eat). I need my morning weigh-ins because they sort of tell me I’m in the right place. I’m not very good at maintenance, and I’m always worrying that I’m going to put it all back on or lose a load more weight, so every morning, I weight myself and think – nope, we’re fine.

So therefore, why am I retaining four-six lbs of water every week and peeing it out on Sundays (I always lose it on a Sunday!)? I don’t eat a lot of salt (apart from on weekends!) but I do work very hard during the week (11-15 hour days) and then take the weekend off. Stress? What foods eliminate water rentention - and don't say water because that actually does the opposite for me - i retain water when i drink water, yes, i know its weird.

Any help, pls!

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Are you monitoring your sodium intake. I would bet it has a lot to do with your issue. If you aren't, track it for a few weeks and see if you don't notice a correlation.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Well i also get WEIRD water retention,

right after my t.o.m has finished i am at my lowest body weight for 2 days ONLY and then the rest of the month it slowly creeps up a little at a time till the begining of my t.o.m. and i'm ready to pull my hair out because i'm so heavy again!! lol i can't weigh weekly as it is always just moving upwards!! so i have no idea...

i know salt intake and heavy aching muscles can effect it a little,, but some times if you are on a low cal diet and suddenly "pig out" in theroy it should go up but mine always goes down also it's like your body likes the extra cals or something!
    best i can offer sorry honey but REALLY don't worry over it!! lol
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep during the week? When I am very sleep deprived over a few days, I retain 6-7 lbs of water. On the weekends you sleep in and your body does all kinds of healing and stress hormone adjustments, and then the water drops fast. :)