i'm hungry but have no cals left, on my rest day?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Since June, when I hit my initial goal, I stopped logging food at all on weekends and holidays. Those are also usually my rest days, unless I have a race or something, so I'm sure I went over my trying-to-lose weight calories, and a lot of times, I'm sure I went over my maintenance calories. And I lost 10 more pounds since then.

Eating a little more one day a week isn't going to make any more of a difference than eating a little less one day a week would make.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well by looking at your diary, you seem to be burning up to 1000 calories a day and are considerably under your calories most days. When you do a lot of training, your body is hungry because its trying to repair itself. So you should feed it, but make sure they are very heathy calories (piece of chicken, protein bars/shake or something) that has good protein in it so your muscles can grow and repair effectively.

I would like to ask, what do you do that burns that many calories?

ps- not eating will only increase the chance of losing muscle mass.

Well since you spend that much time at the gym, you might want to consider looking into using the Katch McArdle formula to figure out daily caloric needs. Because if you truely are burning over 1000K, you still need to eat more. My friend does the same thing and he has to eat 5000 calories to maintain muscle mass (not saying you would have to eat that much) but even then you should be eating high 2000's or low 3000 calories.
    yeah i know :( i'm starting to eat back my exercise cals as of nov 1st i have decided!

it is generally 2 hours or so at the gym, quite heavy weights, bike, elliptical, running on the treadmill, stepper, rower, etc.
    I just love exercise okay I can't help it :P
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Uhh sorry but I have not overeaten in quite awhile, have not actually ever been over my calories since I started MFP in april so...uhh what does that say?!
    Just cos you want to malnourish your body does not mean I want to do that to mine...

Easy Beauty, she's trying to help and has only her own experiences to base advice on. Although I'm with you, let's eat, let's eat more, food/fuel for muscles and energy (whilst maintaining the slightest of deficits), the lower cals thing may work for her (and if she is suitably short of stature and sedate in activity, 1200 or so may be enough).

....or at least, 1200 is an arbitrary number but accurately assessing hunger has its merits....in your case though I maintain my thoughts that you should eat :-)

PPS Pleased to hear you say you've come around to eating exercise calories :-D
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just cos you want to malnourish your body does not mean I want to do that to mine...

You are asking for help/feedback. You don't have to take it but perhaps being a little more courteous to people wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Uhh sorry but I have not overeaten in quite awhile, have not actually ever been over my calories since I started MFP in april so...uhh what does that say?!

Easy Beauty, she's trying to help and has only her own experiences to base advice on. Although I'm with you, let's eat, let's eat more, food/fuel for muscles and energy (whilst maintaining the slightest of deficits), the lower cals thing may work for her (and if she is suitably short of stature and sedate in activity, 1200 or so may be enough).

....or at least, 1200 is an arbitrary number but accurately assessing hunger has its merits....in your case though I maintain my thoughts that you should eat :-)

lol yeah sorry it's just with my history of AN someone saying something like that could lead me back to bad thoughts that food is bad and I really don't want that to happen :/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lighter foods on days I don't exercise. But if I get hungry I eat, whether it means going over on calories or not. As long as you aren't bingeing it's not going to stall your overall weight loss.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

You are asking for help/feedback. You don't have to take it but perhaps being a little more courteous to people wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cause she was courteous to me and all? Not to mention the question was should I exercise after eating not am I hungry :S I know when I am hungry..We all have different caloric needs?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Cause she was courteous to me and all? Not to mention the question was should I exercise after eating not am I hungry :S I know when I am hungry..We all have different caloric needs?

Actually your question was whether you should go over for the day or exercise on your planned rest day so that you don't go over. She suggested that you shouldn't be hungry anyway because of your caloric intake (which I disagree with btw) and doesn't see your issue to begin with. She was giving advice based on your question and her situation, which was be content with not eating and take the rest day.

This is your planned rest day, take it in rest. I find I am especially hungry the day after a big workout day as my body repairs, so I've started zigzagging days (sort of) to allow me to eat when I'm hungry and not just on the days that I have that exertion. If I don't do this my ED's kick in and I start binging compulsively. My body knows when it needs the additional caloric intake, so I listen to it and try to be smart about it.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    lol yeah sorry it's just with my history of AN someone saying something like that could lead me back to bad thoughts that food is bad and I really don't want that to happen :/

Very articulate, looks like she prodded a sore spot/good to put your response in context :-)