NPR Story This Morning Summed it Up

2»

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    On the other discussion about this article, someone pointed this out:
    It's interesting that this set of stories was prompted by an Australian study in which obese individuals were put on 550 calorie a day diets. That's pretty drastic and not surprising that the body reacted badly. Now we need the study for a moderate deficit and slower weight loss.

That puts a whole different perspective on the claims, doesn't it? I've observed many people here at MFP who have lost large amounts of weight, have become very fit through exercise, and who are now eating 2000+ calories a day and maintaining their weight loss.

I don't doubt the results because when you're doing it wrong, you're going to have bad long-term results. Far better to lose it right in the first place even if it takes you two, three or even four times as long as then you should have no problem keeping it off. It's a lifestyle change, not a race.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    BUMP

This is exactly what has happened to me!!! Argh!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    But obesity experts say if you want to lose or maintain weight, you have to double that and exercise at least one hour every day

Really? I typically don't exercise even 20 minutes a day. I hate exercise. Yet I'm losing weight.

I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. I eat bacon every day. I eat lots of butter and coconut oil. I eat fresh fruits, veggies, all the protein I want and all the fat I want. I eat nuts.

I totally disagree that I have to exercise an hour a day to lose weight. I cut out the processed crap and sugar and grains and the weight started coming off without having to do chronic cardio.

Check out Dr. Kruse and his leptin reset plan. http://jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    But obesity experts say if you want to lose or maintain weight, you have to double that and exercise at least one hour every day

Really? I typically don't exercise even 20 minutes a day. I hate exercise. Yet I'm losing weight.

I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. I eat bacon every day. I eat lots of butter and coconut oil. I eat fresh fruits, veggies, all the protein I want and all the fat I want. I eat nuts.

I totally disagree that I have to exercise an hour a day to lose weight. I cut out the processed crap and sugar and grains and the weight started coming off without having to do chronic cardio.

Check out Dr. Kruse and his leptin reset plan. http://jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/

I think the exercise just counteracts the lowered metabolism. The good thing about MFP is you can track what you eat and adjust calories to fit your experience. If you gain weight, cut some calories. easy!
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    I heard this on the radio this morning. It was really discouraging. But it is good to know anyway. I don't want my son to have to struggle with weight loss and then have to struggle to keep it off so I am watching his diet. NOT having him diet but any means but making sure we have treats as treats and not normal food.

Also the exercise mentioned in the report was moderate - not running, but walking. I easily walk my dog an hour every day and I don't count that as "exercise" but it is activity. Basically what is saying is it won't work to wake up, go to work, sit at a desk all day, come home, plop on the couch, go to bed. You have to wake up, walk the dog (or whatever) go to work, come home, walk the dog, watch some tv, walk the dog, go to bed.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    "Basically what is saying is it won't work to wake up, go to work, sit at a desk all day, come home, plop on the couch, go to bed. "

That's exactly what I do. I work from home so I don't even travel to work - I go to the basement. On weekends we do go out and have some fun activities. Saturday we went bowling for an hour. Sunday I never even got out of my jammies. And I don't starve myself. I still lose weight.

I don't agree that you have do an hour of exercise a day if you are overweight to lose weight as the article suggests.
This discussion has been closed.