Cardio before or after weight training?

Options
As a certified fitness trainer, I would get the question from clients and gym members, when is it better to do cardio? Before or after weight training? It's very simple, cardio after weight training. Why?

In order to get the maximum benefits out of your fitness plan for both muscle retention and fat loss, cardio training must be done after weight training.

It's really not an opinion but purely physiology in the how and when our body pulls energy from three sources within our body. The glycogen stores within the muscle tissue, muscle tissue itself, and the fat cell.

If you execute cardio before your weight training, two things happen:

1. You utilize the glycogen (energy) stored in the muscle tissue which you actually need to help get you through your weight training program (muscle contractions);

2. You possibly eliminate your bodies opportunity to utilize (burn) the energy in the fat cell which is mostly what we strive to achieve.

If you change to this combo:

1. Warm up on cardio for 5 minutes;

2. Execute your weight training program (glycogen is used to perform the muscle contractions);

3. Execute your cardio training program (glyocen stores are at their lower points from the weight training allowing the body to go to the fat cell for energy, thus shrinking the fat cell on top of the muscle;

4. Stretch

You are also giving your body the opportunity to allow the enzymes in the muscle tissue to increase which helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat more efficiently even while your body is at rest; you are giving your body the opportunity to shrink the fat cells down ultimately helping the muscle tone to shine through.

Also, remember that if you have been executing cardio before weight training and you are over training by going beyond th 65-75% on your maximum heart rate called the anaerobic training zone, your body could start using your muscle tissue for energy which can reduce your metabolism and increase your bodies ability to store fat.

So, cardio after weight training. Do that one change, and you will see results.

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I'll have to try this. I find I'm wiped after the weight lifting and don't burn as high on the cardio. I'm willing to try this and see if it works to SHRED off the weight quicker! Thanks for sharing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Completely agree here if you are doing both in the same session.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this
  • justme84x
    Options
    i had actually been wondering this lately so to see it all layed out there helps a lot Thanks!
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Didnt know that, I was doing 1/2 mile on the tread before weight lifting and a 1/2 mile after. Will definitely follow this next time I workout
  • GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This was a great post. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yaaa! thank you for sharing. I will show this to everyone that keeps questioning my weights before cardio routine. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I was familiar with this for strength training, but how about for endurance training? I assume that means that HIIT should be done before distance cardio? Does that mean that swimming should be done after higher impact cardio like running?
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Interesting information, thanks for sharing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I was familiar with this for strength training, but how about for endurance training? I assume that means that HIIT should be done before distance cardio? Does that mean that swimming should be done after higher impact cardio like running?
    Yep HIIT before. You want to apply as much glycogen fuel to your HIIT for great effectiveness. HIIT shouldn't be long though if you do it right.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Is this advice primarily for those who are seeking fat loss while preserving muscle? What about for people trying to gain muscle?

While fat loss is an eventual goal, for now, I am more focused on gaining muscle because I am so gosh darned flabby (even though most people would consider me "skinny", I started out as a total wimp). I have seen in some readings that when your first priority is muscle gain, too much cardio would actually detract from your body's ability to add muscle (especially when paired with a caloric deficit). So I have been doing cardio only to warm up on strength days, and then keeping up with my usual cardio activities on weekends (without pairing it with strength training on those days).
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Yep HIIT before. You want to apply as much glycogen fuel to your HIIT for great effectiveness. HIIT shouldn't be long though if you do it right.

Hmmmm, good to know, thank you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Is this advice primarily for those who are seeking fat loss while preserving muscle? What about for people trying to gain muscle?

While fat loss is an eventual goal, for now, I am more focused on gaining muscle because I am so gosh darned flabby (even though most people would consider me "skinny", I started out as a total wimp). I have seen in some readings that when your first priority is muscle gain, too much cardio would actually detract from your body's ability to add muscle (especially when paired with a caloric deficit). So I have been doing cardio only to warm up on strength days, and then keeping up with my usual cardio activities on weekends (without pairing it with strength training on those days).

To increase muscle mass (note that's size of muscle and not necessarily the same as strength) you should be eating on a caloric surplus. Cardio can detract from muscle gains because it burns through the fuel you would otherwise be using to build muscle tissue.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this. I was told this by another gym instructor.

Great advice, thanks for sharing......
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I actually just started doing this thanks to niners advice. I actually think I burn more during cardio then I did before since my heart rate is already up.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Ditto.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options

To increase muscle mass (note that's size of muscle and not necessarily the same as strength) you should be eating on a caloric surplus. Cardio can detract from muscle gains because it burns through the fuel you would otherwise be using to build muscle tissue.

Yes, and most people don't like what they look like during this phase because of the caloric load to support the muscle growth. (Pillsbury Doe-look at a BB off season) So many people work a training program to build and then strip it down with anaerobic training. Go figure.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Yes, and most people don't like what they look like during this phase because of the caloric load to support the muscle growth. (Pillsbury Doe-look at a BB off season) So many people work a training program to build and then strip it down with anaerobic training. Go figure.

OK, just wanted to double-check I wasn't going about it the wrong way. I didn't THINK so, but more opinions never hurt. :wink: But I will file the original post's info away for later when I do get to the stage of "enough muscle/strength, now maintain it and drop the fat".

Yeah, I realize this isn't my best-looking stage right now, but luckily winter is arriving. I currently eat 1800-2200 calories/day, but thinking I may need to bump it up a bit since I think I've plateaued a bit in terms of measurements (hips haven't moved, waist is microscopically shrinking). OR I just need to manage my macros better. I'm set for 40% protein/30% fat/30% carbs, but don't always hit that protein goal. Hmm.
  • karadawn14
    Options
    bump
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Wow... I was always doing my cardio, and then my weight training! But what you have explained makes sense from a scientific/physiological point of view!

I will start using this in my workouts tomorrow :)