Nebraska Football Fans

Options
MisterDubs303
MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
I went to the Michigan State @ Nebraska football game in Lincoln on Saturday with my friend (an MSU alum) - both of us all decked out in MSU green. I would have never expected to experience the unbelievable hospitality of the Nebraska fans, where football is religion. I don't even know how many people approached us and said, "Welcome to Lincoln, I hope you have a great time; Thanks for coming; Thanks for making the trip; Have a safe drive home, etc." Not one single negative comment in a sea of red.

As a CU alum, this is quite notable, as we used to have quite a rivalry with Nebraska. One Nebraska fan told me that they had traveled to Boulder once for Nebraska at CU and had been harassed (in hateful, not fun ways) so badly that they would never return. My gosh, I've been to other sporting events where same team fans viciously harassed each other based on particular players' jerseys they were wearing, not to mention the opposing team's fans.

Props to Nebraska fans for hosting a very enjoyable game. It was an unbelievably pleasant surprise.

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    The irony is that I've found Michigan State fans to be the most obnoxious in the Big Ten.
    -wtk
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    We love game days and just want everyone to have as much fun as we do! It probably doesn't hurt that in the past 40 some years we've only had 2 losing seasons. It's easier to be nice if you're winning.

Glad you had a good experience!
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Having lived in Husker Nation for almost ten years, I can affirm that this is a common refrain. There is no escaping 'Big Red Fever' there, but it is a well-mannered and embracing illness! LOL And, I must confess, that after being away from Nebraska for almost five years I still wear red on game days!
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that they are still keeping it classy over there and you were able to have a good time. I think that football is an incredible experience in Lincoln, no matter which team you are there to see.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Nebraska is going to win the Big 10
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you experienced Husker Hospitality. We had a number of MSU fans at our tailgate. I grew up in Nebraska and have lived here most of my life and what you experienced in pretty common. I hope Spartie wins out in the Big Ten from here.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    As a born and raised Husker fan, I have to agree...there is nothing like being in Lincoln on game day. Every time I've been there, wearing CU black and gold or Husker red, I've been treated with nothing but respect. I'm so glad you had a good experience!
  • tymee
    tymee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    GO BIG RED!! Husker fan and Nebraskan! I am happy to hear you got to experience our Husker Nation!