Question: how lenient are the protein / fat / sugar allocati

Options
As the title suggests I'm just wondering what the protein, fat and sugar allocations are based upon as I seem to routinely go over my protein allowance just by having an egg for breakfast and a small amount of meat for lunch and tea. I also seem to have gone over my sugar allowance just by eating some grapes, an apple and a bowl of Special K cereal. It seems fairly strict. How important is it to stick to these allocations for weight loss? Is just sticking to the calorie count enough or do you need to work on the protein, fat, etc, too? Thanks!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My home... goals... change goals... custom.... set numbers and click save will allow you to adjust to something more realistic for your eating habits than MFP's default 15% protein. I have mine set to 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat.

As for sugar I don't count the natural occurring sugars in fruit but the added sugars in boxed cereal etc.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It is really not a matter of lenient or strict, it is a tracking tool and quide. Default goals are aligned with CDC recomendations, many diet experts have different ideas, particulary with regard to protein, carbs and fat. You have an option to customize your goals. I have set mine so that 40% of my target calories are from each protein and carbs, and 20% from fat. I have learned that I am carb sensitive.

Find what works for you, and what elements you need to manage. For me it is calories and carbs. If I manage these, everything else seems to fall into place and I lose weight. (with the exception of sodium, which requires special attention)

All that said, most regard the potein target as a minimum, not a max.