HCG Diet- Has anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add real quick, my meals for the day for those of you that think that the people on HCG do not eat.
    Breakfast : 1 egg 2 egg whites mixed in a cup of spinach w/ green tea and 1 pack of stevia in the raw.
    Lunch : 4 oz. of chicken breast , 1 cup of broccoli and 100g or about 6 cut up strawberries. Green tea w/ stevia.
    Dinner : Tilapia 5oz. w/ a sliced green apple and brussels sprouts. Sleepy~time green tea w/ stevia.
    Water w/ lemon : ALL DAY LONG.
    Nobody can sit here and say that I do not eat.... I just eat clean and healthy. Am I a bad person for that? I think not. People on here think they know what is best for everyone when in all reality, it is just YOUR opinion of what you only read about and what you choose to believe. So I choose to not eat a bag of Halloween candy today like a lot of you are doing (and will pay dearly for the next few days in the gym) and I choose to not give in to the endless list of desserts in the foods on MFP... that does not make me a bad person. Does it make you a bad person? No... because that is your choice and you will pay the price in the gym. You people are just too hard on people who choose to make an adult decision on HCG when in all reality, it is no different than any other diets out there. Most of you choose the 1200~2000 calorie diet way and exercise. How do you think these people that do the HCG WITH NO LEGS feel when you put maybe their only hope of losing weight down? GOD JUDGES ME... NOT YOU!

beatdeadhorse.gif

You've posted on every single HCG thread in the last number of weeks. You obviously have never taken the time to read the numerous links to articles written by Doctors saying that it is a waste of money and dangerous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I have tried many many diets including Weight Watchers, 17 Day Diet, LA Weight Loss, plus more and I have found this the easiest to stick to because I see results everyday.
    Hate to see how you react if you gain weight back.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add real quick, my meals for the day for those of you that think that the people on HCG do not eat.
    Breakfast : 1 egg 2 egg whites mixed in a cup of spinach w/ green tea and 1 pack of stevia in the raw.
    Lunch : 4 oz. of chicken breast , 1 cup of broccoli and 100g or about 6 cut up strawberries. Green tea w/ stevia.
    Dinner : Tilapia 5oz. w/ a sliced green apple and brussels sprouts. Sleepy~time green tea w/ stevia.
    Nobody can sit here and say that I do not eat.... I just eat clean and healthy. Am I a bad person for that? I think not. People on here think they know what is best for everyone when in all reality, it is just YOUR opinion of what you only read about and what you choose to believe. So I choose to not eat a bag of Halloween candy today like a lot of you are doing (and will pay dearly for the next few days in the gym) and I choose to not give in to the endless list of desserts in the foods on MFP... that does not make me a bad person. Does it make you a bad person? No... because that is your choice and you will pay the price in the gym. You people are just too hard on people who choose to make an adult decision on HCG when in all reality, it is no different than any other diets out there. Most of you choose the 1200~2000 calorie diet way and exercise. How do you think these people that do the HCG WITH NO LEGS feel when you put maybe their only hope of losing weight down? GOD JUDGES ME... NOT YOU!

beatdeadhorse.gif

You've posted on every single HCG thread in the last number of weeks. You obviously have never taken the time to read the numerous links to articles written by Doctors saying that it is a waste of money and dangerous.
    Yeah, well it is AMAZING TO ME that OTHER doctors prescribe this diet to people every single day. It is called an opinion. Some agree...some don't... I was reading just yesterday where doctors say that the Atkins Diet is not good and has lots of health risks but you people don't chew the low carb. dieters heads off. AND I WILL POST ON ANY THREAD I WANT......ESPECIALLY HCG because that is my GOD GIVEN RIGHT...........
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Since one of the most common side effects of HCG is hair loss, why would you risk it right before your wedding? I'd rather be a few pounds overweight with nice, thick hair than be skinny with no hair.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Please use the SEARCH feature and grab a target
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

beatdeadhorse.gif

Yeah, well it is AMAZING TO ME that OTHER doctors prescribe this diet to people every single day. It is called an opinion. Some agree...some don't... I was reading just yesterday where doctors say that the Atkins Diet is not good and has lots of health risks but you people don't chew the low carb. dieters heads off. AND I WILL POST ON ANY THREAD I WANT......ESPECIALLY HCG because that is my GOD GIVEN RIGHT...........

I didn't say you weren't entitled to comment on any thread. I just said that you obviously choose to ignore what has been written by Doctors.

When you say "you people", who exactly do you mean? It's a very broad sweeping reference.

And you may wish to consider refraining from referring to God. Have a look at the rules for the forums and you will see that references to religion (including signatures) are prohibited on the forums.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

beatdeadhorse.gif

One of the biggest concerns most of us have with this "diet" is that so many end up gaining back the lost weight plus some. Their bank account is lighter, but they end up weighing more than they did before they started. It will be interesting to see if you are able to keep it off. Your words will carry more weight (no pun intended) if you actually keep it off for an extended period of time.

You have to understand, too, that most of us feel this is an unhealthy way to lose weight. I'd be concerned about putting anything extraneous in my body, especially hormones. Hormones are meant to be produced naturally by the body, and putting synthetic versions in the body has proven harmful in certain cases (for example, certain types of breast cancer are fed by estrogen). I guess most of us don't understand why you'd put yourself through all of that (extremely low calories, risk of hair loss, unknown risks to the body) just to lose the weight a little faster when there is a healthy alternative that doesn't require practically starving yourself. I personally just don't get why anyone would do that to themselves.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

My breakfast: 1 whole egg, 2 pieces of bacon, piece of toast, and chocolate mint soy milk.
    Lunch: Turkey sandwhich, trader joe's skinny fries, two oranges, 2 pieces of dove chocolate, and water.
    Snack:Dannon Key Lime Greek Yogurt
    Dinner: Left over chicken Alfredo, vanilla soy milk with a scoop protein powder.

No offense, but I like my meals a whole lot better then I do yours.. and I'm also eating real food. Plus, I'm not eating bags of halloween candy which I'll be paying dearly for later as you say.. but I am going for some red mango frozen yogurt and I plan to enjoy every bite.

Not everyone is a slob with no self control just because they are not on HCG... Just saying.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

My breakfast: 1 whole egg, 2 pieces of bacon, piece of toast, and chocolate mint soy milk.
    Lunch: Turkey sandwhich, trader joe's skinny fries, two oranges, 2 pieces of dove chocolate, and water.
    Snack:Dannon Key Lime Greek Yogurt
    Dinner: Left over chicken Alfredo, vanilla soy milk with a scoop protein powder.

No offense, but I like my meals a whole lot better then I do yours.. and I'm also eating real food. Plus, I'm not eating bags of halloween candy which I'll be paying dearly for later as you say.. but I am going for some red mango frozen yogurt and I plan to enjoy every bite.

Not everyone is a slob with no self control just because they are not on HCG... Just saying.

I kind of took exception to that comment about eating a whole bag of Halloween candy, too. I haven't touched any Halloween candy...we don't have any in the house. My son brought a little home from school, and I bought some Reese's peanut butter cups for my daughter, but I haven't touched them. I bought myself some Skinny Cow candy bars (100-110 calories each and delicious!) so I can enjoy something sweet without having to kill myself later. I allotted for one in my calories for the day, so I can eat it without guilt.

And, I like my menu for the day better than hers, too.
  • honeybadger175
    honeybadger175 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did it for 3 weeks and I was miserable and gained back the 15lbs I lost. I work at a hospital and none of the physicians I work with recommended it. They were very much against it.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

beatdeadhorse.gif

I didn't say you weren't entitled to comment on any thread. I just said that you obviously choose to ignore what has been written by Doctors.

When you say "you people", who exactly do you mean? It's a very broad sweeping reference.

And you may wish to consider refraining from referring to God. Have a look at the rules for the forums and you will see that references to religion (including signatures) are prohibited on the forums.

^^^^^ THIS!

Agreed...none of us have said you can't comment. And you need to avoid the sweeping generalizations about the rest of us. You don't want us making generalizations about HCG, but you don't seem to mind making them about the rest of us.

I haven't touched the first bite of Halloween candy. I allotted calories for a Skinny Cow treat for the day (they have candy bars that are only 100-110 calories). I'm not deprived of anything and did a reasonable workout at the gym today (35 minutes cardio, 25 minutes strength training). My scale hasn't moved in several days, but my clothes are getting looser and looser, and in the end, that's all I care about. The scale will begin to move again in time. In the meantime, the inches are coming off and I can see definition in my arms and legs that I've not seen in a LONG time. I have more energy and sleep better at night. And I'm doing it all for $29 a month (gym membership) and the cost of my food.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    AND I WILL POST ON ANY THREAD I WANT......ESPECIALLY HCG because that is my GOD GIVEN RIGHT...........

LMAO! your god given right to post on any thread here? No, it isn't. It's a privilege afforded you by the forum moderators.
    "God" doesn't have power over anything on here fwiw. Much like real life tbh, but that's another debate not suitable for these boards :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

If I'm reading this correctly that you're literally talking about people with no legs (double amputee I guess?) doing a super low-cal diet, that's probably very different than a person with a fully intact body doing a super low-cal diet. I can't really comment on the hormonal aspect b/c I don't know very much about it other than that it makes my pregnancy tests show a + sign. Someone with no legs has a much lower bodyweight and might not need as many calories as a comparably built person with an intact body. Although obviously it would depend upon how active that person is - I'm sure that if such a person were propelling themselves with their arms (either directly on the groung or manuall propelling their wheelchair) I'm sure that activity would add up to needing a significant amount of calories for energy. And there are plenty of other activities they could do that would require additional caloric intake for energy. Similar to how very short statured people would not require as many calories as a taller or larger person - there's a big difference in calorie requirements based on the size of the body that's being supported - but it can all change with a higher activity level.

Nobody thinks anyone is a 'bad person' for the weight loss strategy they choose. People just *worry* for others' health and safety. Nobody is bashing you or other HCG-ers for fun. They are truly concerned with what might happen in the long-run. Yes I see as you've pointed out that you're eating food, but how do your nutritional goals add up when you're eating so little? Are you getting in all the protein, fiber, calcium, etc, that an adult needs on a daily basis? That's what worries me. It seems that it could be very difficult to get in vital nutrients on such a restrictive diet. Many people who have concerns about the HCG protocol have concerns about other 'extreme' diets as well. Concern and skepticism is not reserved only for the HCG diet, you may just notice it more since it is a very personal issue for you.

And no, not everybody that eats 1200 or more calories a day is going to sneak a fist full of their kid's Halloween candy. Thank goodness I don't even *like* candy. No problem for me. LOL But I do enjoy desserts, most days in fact, and I budget for them to work within my calorie allowance with my exercise for the day. I don't have to skip out on cheesecake or ice cream to lose weight - I can enjoy them in moderation so long as I plan for the 'expense' of the added calories by 'earning' more through exercise or by eating a bit less at a different point during the day.

In any case, good luck on your journey and I hope its end finds you healthy and happy in whatever outcome you find.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You people are so predictable... it is amazing. It really sucks being attacked by the way you do your dieting now, doesn't it! Well, every person out there that are doing the HCG feel exactly the way those of you that responded feel and it almost feels like you HAVE to defend your ....YOUR lifestyle. I have no desire to debate.... with any of you.... but I just love watching you all get worked up. You are friggin hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jennifer, i dont know why you are getting worked up. There are facts about weight loss and how a body functions with low calories. Muscle has a specific function within the body and hcg will deminish the amount of muscle. You talk like you know what the true effects are of this diet but i feel you dont have all the details. Have you tested your body fat before and after? Do you have any clue what this is doing to your metabolism? Have you done research outside of the hcg website? Do you understand your caloric requirements for your organs? Or do you only care about whats on the scale? Do you know why the National Institute for Healthy suggest 1200 calories for woman and 1500 calories for woman? Do you know what happens when you don't eat at those levels?

Also, i have several doctors as friends and none of them would ever recommend this diet, in fact, not a single doctor I have ever spoken to has ever endorsed this diet. I would also like to point out that not all doctors understand weight loss; it's the reason why there are dieticians and nutritionist.

And to let you know, i barely recommend a 1200 calorie diet as its not enough for most people. I don't generalize when providing advice, I prove to those with math about what a person should eat in terms of caloric needs. I can't tell you how many times I have had people tell me I am suggesting too many calories because they are "X foot tall and they only eat 1400". Do you know how fast they shut up when you can lay out the math for them? And apparently, you are just as bad as others with generalizations and misconceptions. If you want some facts here it is, I understand basal metabolic rate and total daily energy expended. I have help 50+ people on this board break through plateaus and continue weight loss. I, personally, eat 2600 calories and have maintained my lean body mass during my whole weight loss program (currently ~ 11% body fat). And guess what, in 6 months when you have a messed up metabolism and you ask for help because your skin looks awful do to being malnurished for months, your skin is flabby because lost a ton of muscle, i will still help you because that is what we do.

Lemon
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    My husband did HCG a year ago, it worked great for him. He lost a lot of weight and didn't gain it back. But he also works out a lot and changed his eating habits afterwards. I was worried first, because the HCG diet was done by a chiropractician and what do they know about that? Anyhow, it worked but I personally wouldn't try it for myself because I hate, beeing hungry.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    You people are so predictable... it is amazing. It really sucks being attacked by the way you do your dieting now, doesn't it! Well, every person out there that are doing the HCG feel exactly the way those of you that responded feel and it almost feels like you HAVE to defend your ....YOUR lifestyle. I have no desire to debate.... with any of you.... but I just love watching you all get worked up. You are friggin hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So basically, you don't do this because you believe so wholeheartedly in your diet...you do it to get everyone worked up for your own entertainment? You do realize that's kind of pathetic, right? It's also the very definition of a troll--From Wikipedia: "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Most of us are not attacking you. Yes, there are some that word things in a way that comes across like that, but many of us are responding out of true concern. We've looked at the research and the opinions of reputable experts in the field of weight loss and nutrition, and we're concerned for the health and safety of those going to the extremes that HCG requires. You certainly have the right to do what you choose; it's your body. However, most of us see that it's dangerous, and we have a hard time sitting by and saying nothing knowing that people are doing harm, possibly great harm, to their bodies. You can ignore us if you think we are dead wrong...that's your right. But the OP asked about whether she should try it, and most of us will not sit idly by and think, "Yeah, it's dangerous, but it's not my responsibility to warn her. She can find out on her own." She asked for an opinion, and we're going to give it, hopefully in a constructive manner.
  • Thrakenna
    Options
    I thought about HCG, did some research and decided against it (and I have a LOT more to lose than you do).

Weight loss, I'm finding, comes down to one thing: TRUST.

TRUST YOURSELF to put your health first every time you have to make a choice about what you're eating and whether you are getting enough activity.

TRUST YOUR GOALS to be attainable and reasonable.

TRUST THE PROCESS and the destination (a slim, fit you) will take care of itself. Life is a journey, not just years of jumping up and down at the finish line, so why would you expect weight loss to be all goal and no process?

TRUST YOUR BODY to metabolize as it needs to, build muscle/lose fat as it needs to, rest when it needs to.

TRUST THE MATH. When Calories In is greater than Calories Out, you will gain. When Calories Out is greater than Calories In, you will lose. Nature has been doing this for years. Your body is part of that natural science. Trust it to do it.

When you put your faith in the right things (and some people would add TRUST A HIGHER POWER to this list), you don't need to take a gamble trusting thermogenic herb complexes, hormone drops, or anything else that claims to be the magic bullet.

Remember the movie The Matrix where the little boy says "There is no spoon"? The key to getting past diet fads is realizing that THERE IS NO DIET FAD. The minute you get through the illusion that you need anything else besides what you already have, you have won a huge battle in your mind.

YOU can do it. In the end, YOU are the only one with the power and it is enough. TRUST YOURSELF.

Blessings!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    *shoots self in head*
  • rayettainutah
    Options
    Don't do it. Two of my friends did.....and they are very sorry they did. Hair falls out. Gained everything back that they had lost. It's 500 calories a day. anyone would lose weight on that. You can lose weight the healthy way. Eating right and exercising...like everyone else is doing on MFP. Good luck and don't do it. That's my advice
This discussion has been closed.