Diet

Options
I need some help please! I have been doing the 30 day Shred haven/t really lost any weight. I need a good diet plan to go with it so I can get some good results. I would like to be atleast 15-20 lbs lighter by Christmas. Any suggestions?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet, change your lifestyle. Educate yourself on healthy eating and find better alternatives for the things you like to eat. If you try to do something that is way out of your comfort zone you will not stick with it.
    Take your time and make your health your new hobby.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    my weight loss guidelines are on my profile page. you are welcome to check it out.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    First, I'd consider thinking of it not as a diet, but a change of lifestyle--

Just start by controlling your portion sizes, and making healthier choices.

Diet soda is better than regular. Water is best. Drinking a lot of water will help!

No 'diet' works-- you deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, and often the nutrients you need, for an amount of time, get the results, and go back to eating 'normal' and gaining.

Veggies and fruits are your friends. :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet, change your lifestyle. Educate yourself on healthy eating and find better alternatives for the things you like to eat. If you try to do something that is way out of your comfort zone you will not stick with it.
    Take your time and make your health your new hobby.

Ditto
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    As i understand it the 30DS isn't designed to make you lose weight. It's designed for muscle work/toning. You're unlike to see any weight loss, especially early on, as your muscles will retain water to help build them.

If you diet, you may well lose the weight, but then you will go back to your old ways and probably gain it right back. Start making small changes that you can do forever if need be. That way you are far more likely to not only lose the fat, but keep it off as well. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

This has a lot of good information on foods you should eat (top two/three tiers). They will help provide some ideas.

Next, losing 20 lbs in 8 weeks will be very difficult as it's more than 2 lbs per week and you truely don't have large amounts of weight to lose. I would maybe aim for something more obtainable like 10 lbs by xmas. Also, how many calories are you eating and how much exercise do you do?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I need some help please! I have been doing the 30 day Shred haven/t really lost any weight. I need a good diet plan to go with it so I can get some good results. I would like to be atleast 15-20 lbs lighter by Christmas. Any suggestions?

Plenty of vegetables and fruits. Lean proteins and healthy fat, focusing on vegetable protein and fat. Limit bread and pasta and make your grains whole grains. And keep up the exercise! It is a key component.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options

No one can "diet" and keep the weight off. You have to make a lifestyle change otherwise you are wasting your time - JMO
  • melissabee31
    Options
    I'm on day 26 of the 30 day shred, and I really have been doing it for 26 days straight. I took 3 days off due to an illness, but I've done the shred twice on some days to "make up" for it. I have been following my diet plan 85% of the time, "cheating" 15% of the time. And I haven't lost ANY weight.

This is not a bad thing, though, because I have seen great results. The 30DS is meant to transform the way your body looks. I think the only way to lose a lot of weight with the shred is one, if you really need to lose a lot of weight, or two, if you supplement the shred with cardio/other exercise.

Why not look into Jillian's 30 day meal plan from Ripped in 30 for some ideas?

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/rippedin30mealplan.aspx?promo=021754D4-788F-4C01-A42D-74C56A831274
  • cfiles
    cfiles Posts: 65 Member
    Options

This has a lot of good information on foods you should eat (top two/three tiers). They will help provide some ideas.

Next, losing 20 lbs in 8 weeks will be very difficult as it's more than 2 lbs per week and you truely don't have large amounts of weight to lose. I would maybe aim for something more obtainable like 10 lbs by xmas. Also, how many calories are you eating and how much exercise do you do?

Im on the 1200 calorie diet but when I log the 30 day shred exercise I eat the extra calories it gives me. I am starting this week walking/ running with a friend for about 30 minutes a day and some bleachers.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Twenty pounds in under two months sounds a bit extreme to me. Are you sure this is an achievable goal? Make sure that you're not going to be doing yourself more harm in the long run by losing weight in the quickest and least sustainable way. The slower and steadier your initial weight loss is, the higher the chance of keeping it off.

Also keep in mind that exercise programs aren't actually designed to help you lose weight so much as they are designed to get you to a higher fitness level by working your muscles. Exercise alone won't help you drop pounds, but it can help you drop sizes - muscle is firmer and smaller than fat. So even if you don't lose weight, you will experience physical changes.

You need to count your calories and eat healthy proteins, fruits and vegetables. If you calculate your calorie deficit properly, you will lose weight. Can't happen with exercise alone!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Im on the 1200 calorie diet but when I log the 30 day shred exercise I eat the extra calories it gives me. I am starting this week walking/ running with a friend for about 30 minutes a day and some bleachers.

What do you have you loss goal set at; 2 lbs per week? In my opinion you are under eating where you should be based on your weight and estimated metabolic rate (bmr). Even at light active (working out 3 days a week) you should be around1500 calories a day. Just something to think about.

Essentially, you want healthy proteins like eggs, chicken, avocado, nuts and healthy complex carbs like fruits and veggies.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No one can "diet" and keep the weight off. You have to make a lifestyle change otherwise you are wasting your time - JMO

Semantics.
  • HarveySmith123
    Options
    • TAKE THE STAIRS
    • NO CLOSE PARKING SPOT TO LOSE WEIGHT
    • AVOID THE MIDDLE OF THE GROCERY STORE
    • PREPARE YOUR OWN MEALS AT HOME
    • LEARN WHAT A SERVING SIZE IS
    • BE EASY ON BREAD IF YOU WANT TO LOSE THAT WEIGHT FASTER
    • FASTEST WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT – SAYING “NO” TO SODA
    • DRINK AN 8-OUNCE GLASS OF WATER BEFORE YOU EAT A MEAL
    • EAT 5 MEALS A DAY, RATHER THAN 3 BIG ONES
    • EAT SLOWLY IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT QUICKER
    • DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU FEEL HUNGRY
    • DON’T SKIP BREAKFAST
    • KEEP A HEALTHFUL SNACK WITH YOU
    • TURN OFF THE TV DURING AND AFTER DINNER
    • GET UP AND MOVE DURING THE DAY IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST
    • GO EXTREME AND HIRE A TRAINER, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT
  • bcattoes
    Options
    • AVOID THE MIDDLE OF THE GROCERY STORE

I see this all the time on these boards and either the grocery stores in my town are set up very differently than most or I think this is bad advice. In the stores near me my healthy diet staples like brown rice, oats, quinoa, Kashi bars, tea, peanut butter, nuts, dried beans, frozen fruits and vegetables are all in the middle of the store.

While there are healthy foods like fresh fruits and vegetables and meat on the outside, one whole entire side of every store is my area is taken up with bread and pasteries.