How do you stay on track w/o counting calories and excessive

Options
2»

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I will continue to log at least until I reach my goal weight. Then, I'm going to have to figure out maintenance, so I'll probably log for at least 3 months of maintenance. Then I may just every couple months log for a week just to see how I'm doing. The accountability never hurts, and it's not like I have to pay for MFP. When I have a free tool at my disposal, I will take advantage of it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to count the calories now and log everything says to me you are lazy..If you have no Accountability you are doomed and will fail...You seem to be looking for others to say it's ok do da best you can..... Not happing from me...I need accountability for a year then re ask the question... Good Luck

So, because you can't do it without logging that makes everyone who doesn't log lazy and doomed?? Yeah, right.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to be open to learning as you go and be conscious of nutrition labels (if available where you are). After about two years, I've been able to handle my weekends very well by having a general idea of how many calories are in the things I eat on a regular basis. I try to just go by how I feel - eat when I'm hungry, keep myself busy and away from the kitchen when I just want to nibble. I do write everything down but don't log my foods here until Monday morning. Some weekends are worse than others as social events and such come up but for the most part, I'm able to stay pretty close to my goals. To me, that means I'm getting a hold on making betting eating habits which for me, is huge!

It's a learning process. If you're worried about obsessing, maybe just log for a week or two, try it out on your own and if you think you need to get a handle on things again, come back and log for another week or two. Hopefully I'm not over simplifying...no real experience with eating disorders (or not that end of the spectrum anyway, more like binging and overeating).
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to count the calories now and log everything says to me you are lazy..If you have no Accountability you are doomed and will fail...You seem to be looking for others to say it's ok do da best you can..... Not happing from me...I need accountability for a year then re ask the question... Good Luck

So, because you can't do it without logging that makes everyone who doesn't log lazy and doomed?? Yeah, right.

Exactly
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I have to be obsessive about it. Otherwise my brain tells me I am hungry all the time. If I know how many calories I have it copes better.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight yet, but I'm close, and I've realized that I need to allow myself to relax a little on the weekends and it may actually help my weight loss goals. I've tried counting on my "cheat days" but I think my attitude about it is a little unhealthy (eating disorderish). Counting calories on cheat days takes the joy out of it for me, and I even cheat on my long run days (10+ miles) so I have plenty of room. I think it would be healthier for me to log and be good during the week, let myself do whatever the heck I want on saturdays when I do my long run, and then eat healthy but just listen to my body on sundays. So starting this week, I'm going to try not to log calories on the weekends and practice listening to my body more. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to logging, but I don't like when I get too anal about it. I also figure this is something I can commit to sticking with after I reach my goal weight (logging during the week, and not on the weekends).
  • eliotta
    eliotta Posts: 15
    Options

Exactly
    Please don't call me lazy and doomed because I don't want to count calories. I don't want to get my eating disorder back and instead, I would like to live a happy, fulfilled life. If you think people have to obsess about every damn calorie in order to be happy with themselves, then I disagree with you. I value my mental health more than a size smaller jeans, and also I believe that I can achieve both by just keeping things in moderation.
    Please think before you write something, because your worlds are hurtful, even though you might not realize it.
  • ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I could eat healthy and exercise without logging, I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. Maybe once I do it long enough, it will be such a habit, I won't need to log, but for the foreseable future, I need MFP. If you don't need to log, great, but like others said, "why are you on a site based on food and fitness logs?"
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Exactly
    Please don't call me lazy and doomed because I don't want to count calories. I don't want to get my eating disorder back and instead, I would like to live a happy, fulfilled life. If you think people have to obsess about every damn calorie in order to be happy with themselves, then I disagree with you. I value my mental health more than a size smaller jeans, and also I believe that I can achieve both by just keeping things in moderation.
    Please think before you write something, because your worlds are hurtful, even though you might not realize it.

Forums are asking for opinions I just try to give the best opinion that I have about the subject. The person asking for the opinion has to review all the answers r opinions and move foward in the direction they choose. It's surely ok to have different opinions than others. I don't mind anyone having a different opinion than mind it makes life Healthy..I never type anything that would be hateful, but direct opinion I will share if anyone asks....You think one way I think another that's GREAT! I'm ok with it...Now hopefully they can report back in 6 months they did not list calories and lost decent weight I'll be more than happy to be wrong...If they lost weight and I was wrong I'll be very proud for them...Take care...
  • eliotta
    Options
    I'm sorry I was so rude, I re-read this and I'm ashamed of myself. I had a bad mood yesterday, and I always get way too touchy-feely when it comes to EDs.
    I definitely do need MFP now, I just don't want to need it forever.