sick of not losing weight

Options
I really want to get down to under 60 kgs (currently 62ish) but am stuck and have been for ages. I put on a little weight in the weekend and then lose it during the week.
So the weekend just been I tried so hard, no alcohol really cut back on food maybe too radically, but thought it would mean at least for the first time in ages I had lost weight in the weekend instead of gaining - but still a slight gain, not as much as usual but still a gain.
I just wonder why why why??? I ate so clean!
so anyway any ideas.
I'm thinking its the protein shakes. Maybe I don't need them and should substitute the calories for something plainer like oats and milk, or some fruit. Has anyone cut the shakes out and seen more results ?

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Weigh your foods with a scale. Double check to ensure that the foods you log are correct. Try sticking to foods which are easier to calculate. Drink plenty of water, maintain stable sodium intake, get plenty of rest. If your weight hasn't budged after doing these things for 3 weeks, Eat less, move more.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    take a look at my diary! I can't eat less! I do measure! I eat natural plain food, no junk. I know all the answers thats the thing but why isn't it working for me!!!! so frustrated!!!!!!
    I started doing 30 DS every day on top of my usual gym workout. thinking of renting a treadmill or exercise bike for a while.
    I really don't know what else I can do!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Whenever you go over maintenance, your body will replentish its glycogen stores and gain a little water weight. Since you're pretty much at maintenance now, you should only worry if you gain another pound the following week.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    Weigh your foods with a scale. Double check to ensure that the foods you log are correct. Try sticking to foods which are easier to calculate. Drink plenty of water, maintain stable sodium intake, get plenty of rest. If your weight hasn't budged after doing these things for 3 weeks, Eat less, move more.

like!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'd try adding more cardio, for sure.
  • strocknar
    Options
    It looks like you are cycling your goals, but your actual caloric intake stays steady. Might try hitting the goals (including the higher calorie goals) so that your actual caloric intake fluctuates.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    There is no need for you to be drinking a protein shake. You aren't burning enough to warrant it. Looking over your diary, it's very highly unlikely you need the protein shake. Add in the fact you are trying to lose instead of gaining muscle mass. Cut it out and replace with simple grains.

You have to choose between cutting or gaining muscle. If you are cutting fat, then cut fat. You can't do both reliably.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch things like the protein powder and the rice and eat way more fruits and veggies. I just looked at one day in your diary and didn't see any fruit at all and very little veggies. If you are feeling hungry, add more fats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am assuming your weekly weight loss goal does not match up with your stats. By that I mean you are trying to lose more than your body is comfortable with.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So based on what you are saying your goal should be set at 0.5lbs/week, this will give you a caloric intake and on top of that you should be eating back what you burn from exercise. Having too large of a deficit will lead your body to burn a higher % of lean muscle vs. fat, than if you had a smaller deficit.
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels tested?
  • erickirb
    Options
    There is no need for you to be drinking a protein shake. You aren't burning enough to warrant it. Looking over your diary, it's very highly unlikely you need the protein. Add in the fact you are trying to lose instead of gaining muscle mass. Cut it out and replace with simple grains.

You have to choose between cutting or gaining muscle. If you are cutting fat, then cut fat. You can't do both reliably.

This is bad advice, when you are in a caloric deficit you should have a higher % of your diet dedicated to protein to avoid losing muscle while losing fat.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i heard steady weight is better than quick loss or gain. whenever i lost a lot I quickly gained all back and more. :sad: now i just try to stay fit and feel better instead of being obsessed on the lbs (or kg). :drinker:
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT training. It may be the extra push your body needs for cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take a look at my diary! I can't eat less! I do measure! I eat natural plain food, no junk. I know all the answers thats the thing but why isn't it working for me!!!! so frustrated!!!!!!
    I started doing 30 DS every day on top of my usual gym workout. thinking of renting a treadmill or exercise bike for a while.
    I really don't know what else I can do!

eating 800 cals per day is NOT a good idea.

given that you only have a small amount to lose, you should have your weight loss set to half a pound and eat back your exercise calories. its a very slow process, you need patience!
  • fionarama
    Options
    just a note I eat LOads OF VEGES, BUT FREQUENTLY DON'T LOG THINGS LIKE LETTUCE AND BROCCOLLI/GREENS AS THE CALORIE amount is so small and one can never eat too many greens. So there is no day that I never eat any veges, in fact lunch and dinner are based on veges. Don't eat much fruit though.
    Thanks for some interesting comments, I think I'll ditch the shakes and substitue with something really plain like an apple or some oats and milk.It wouldn't take long to see if thats the issue.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why are you drinking protein shakes? Are you doing a lot of heavy weight lifting? I can't think of any other reason you'd need to add more protein than you would get through a healthy diet. I kind of question the need for shakes even then, but since I've never lifted heavy I can't personally speak to that.
  • erickirb
    Options
    just a note I eat LOads OF VEGES, BUT FREQUENTLY DON'T LOG THINGS LIKE LETTUCE AND BROCCOLLI/GREENS AS THE CALORIE amount is so small and one can never eat too many greens. So there is no day that I never eat any veges, in fact lunch and dinner are based on veges. Don't eat much fruit though.
    Thanks for some interesting comments, I think I'll ditch the shakes and substitue with something really plain like an apple or some oats and milk.It wouldn't take long to see if thats the issue.

That won't be the issue. Just change your weekly loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week, and eat all of your calories, and try to get 25-30% of your calories from protein to limit the amount of muscle you lose.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Why are you drinking protein shakes? Are you doing a lot of heavy weight lifting? I can't think of any other reason you'd need to add more protein than you would get through a healthy diet. I kind of question the need for shakes even then, but since I've never lifted heavy I can't personally speak to that.

See my response above. when on a caloric deficit protein is even more important. protein helps retain the muscles you do have, if you are in a deficit and do not get enough protein you will lose a large amount of lean muscle along with fat. I don't think anyone wants to lose muscle.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just a little idea......don't put any value to the weight. so what if you didn't lose any weight, you ate clean, you had healthy habits, that alone is a positive.

weight is not the end all be all, focus in on the healthy behaviors. you can be healthy at any weight, not losing weight does not constitute failure.

Be happy with your healthy behaviors and keep it up! in sticking with healthy lifestyle choices you might concequently lose some weight too but thats not the important thing
  • fionarama
    Options
    thanks, I have changed my goal to a boring 0.5lb loss. Which seems neglible to me ! I kind of think the issue with the protein shake may be more what someone else said, eating food which is easy to measure - maybe its something stupid like too heaped a scoop of the powder.
    I do lift weights and do want to build muscle (my ideal body would be super muscley super low body fat) but I am more interested at the moment in losing the fat as I think I have some quite good muscle underneath there anyway, if I could ever get some definition.
    the problem is I really can't see myself eating so much, i changed my setting and now I have to eat like loads, so thats a new challenge.