If I'm hungry, I'm going to eat

Even with all the water I've been drinking, I am sick of feeling hungry. I decided today that if I feel hungry, and I'm sure that I've drank enough water, I'm just going to eat. I've gotten very good at changing the type of food I'm eating, so I don't think this will be tack on extra weight, but I'm still worried. Anyone make this transition in the past and see a significant weight gain?

Replies

• Are you eating enough protein? Try a protein shake that will fill you up and isn't that many calories.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Nope - it's good to eat. In fact, it's better for your metabolism if you eat around five smaller meals a day rather than three large ones. Just try spreading the food you do eat across the day and eating as healthily as you can snack-wise. :) also if you still crave chocolate, take magnesium tablets - that's often what your body wantsso they help to stop the pangs.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    In fact, it's better for your metabolism if you eat around five smaller meals a day rather than three large ones.

Wrong. There is no metabolic advantage to eating more smaller meals as opposed to 3, or even 1, assume their total calories is the same.

However, what it may do is take away any hunger pangs you may have from eating fewer meals.

Just remember, that eating when you're hungry is fine as long as you keep your calorie deficit. If you eat when you're hungry, and end up going over, you won't lose weight.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    You SHOULD eat if you're hungry. Just make sure you don't reach for a snack with empty calories. Filling up on starchy foods or empty carbs is just going to make you more hungry. Try foods with protein and plenty of fiber!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    with only 25 pounds to lose you don't want to create too much of a calorie deficit. Make sure your goals are only to lose 1/2 pound per week and that you do eat your exercise calories back so you won't be hungry.

Alot of us small time losers (I only had 25 to lose) start out with big goals of 2 pounds per week but it cuts our calories too low and we get hungry, so double check you goals and set to only 1/2 per week.

hope that can help!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    what kind of things are you eating? Steamed veggies are very low in calories. You could eat about 6 cups of green beans and equal the calories in one Twinkie. I would look at eating lower cal, more natural foods, as well as lean meats and nuts and fruits. I don't know what you are eating now, as your diary isn't public, but, I know it took me a very long time to get the hang of this. I actually eat WAY more now than I did when I was over-weight. Not only do I eat more times a day (usually 3 meals + 2 snacks), but, bulk-wise, I can eat so much more as well, and it is because I am more aware of what I eat--and am eating less "junk" (not today though, I am fighting with candy today :grumble: )
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Even with all the water I've been drinking, I am sick of feeling hungry. I decided today that if I feel hungry, and I'm sure that I've drank enough water, I'm just going to eat. I've gotten very good at changing the type of food I'm eating, so I don't think this will be tack on extra weight, but I'm still worried. Anyone make this transition in the past and see a significant weight gain?

Your body adapts to its environment, but it takes time. Often people starting a new diet will feel hunger pains since their body was used to getting more food before. If they stick with it though those will eventually go away.

If you eat a sandwich outside of your calories you won't suddenly gain 50 pounds. Try it and monitor the effects on your state of mind and body and adjust as needed.

Willingness to make small adjustments as needed, close monitoring, and targeting gradual change rather than unrealistic goals is key.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Nope - it's good to eat. In fact, it's better for your metabolism if you eat around five smaller meals a day rather than three large ones. Just try spreading the food you do eat across the day and eating as healthily as you can snack-wise. :) also if you still crave chocolate, take magnesium tablets - that's often what your body wantsso they help to stop the pangs.

First, it's not true about smaller meals more often speeding up your metabolism. Second, for some people magnesium capsules give the poops, so I would be careful about taking them. I use them for my IBS-C so that is how I know. ;)

That said, try to have larger, more satisfying meals within your calorie range, by incorporating more veggies/whole grains, or a side of nuts which have lots of the said magnesium. Like others have said, slow and steady so you don't lose your mind along the way. :)