Spicy Spaghetti Squash

Options
wildkat318
wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
From the American Diabetes Association, found on Allrecipes.

I made this last night, I added an extra can of Italian tomatos and some fresh mushrooms and sprinkled lightly with low-fat Italian cheese. It was AWESOME!

Enjoy! :drinker:

SPICY SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1 TBL olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
12 ounces ground white meat turkey
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons red wine
2 teaspons capers
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 TBL chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

2) Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside.

3) Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4) Add the capers, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.

I put this recipe in the database so all the nutrional info is there. It has 155 calories and 7.7g fat per serving. Give it a try!

Replies

• wildkat318
    Options
    From the American Diabetes Association, found on Allrecipes.

I made this last night, I added an extra can of Italian tomatos and some fresh mushrooms and sprinkled lightly with low-fat Italian cheese. It was AWESOME!

Enjoy! :drinker:

SPICY SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    1 TBL olive oil
    1/2 cup minced onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 green onions, minced
    12 ounces ground white meat turkey
    2 cups crushed tomatoes
    2 tablespoons red wine
    2 teaspons capers
    2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    2 TBL chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
    1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

2) Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside.

3) Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4) Add the capers, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.

I put this recipe in the database so all the nutrional info is there. It has 155 calories and 7.7g fat per serving. Give it a try!
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sounds great. I love spaghetti squash! How many servings does it make?

I served spaghetti squash to a friend and her fiance once. I had forgotten her fiance has a hard time eating vegetables, but he LOVED it. He kept asking her when they were going to make it! :happy: It's been over 2 years and he STILL talks about it! :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I need to try this recipe. My daughter and husband won't eat veggies for anything.
    I'll make this and tell them it's a "new" spaghetti pasta I'm trying :wink:
  • wildkat318
    Options
    I made regular spaghetti last week and was VERY disappointed in my serving size. 2 oz. of pasta is not enough! I like volume. I got to have seconds of this!!

The recipe is for 6 servings. I hope you enjoy it!