I know I am new to this, but I am really struggling.

Options
Ok, so I have only been on MFP for a week now, and there are many aspects that are fantastic. The support is incredible and the tools are super helpful.
My problem is this diet. I was very successful on Weight Watchers, I just couldnt afford it. The problem is this.....weight watchers wasnt a diet, but a new lifestyle, and it was EASY.
I am on 1200 calories a day. First time in my life I have ever counted calories and I an amazed at how much I cant eat. Maybe I should stop comparing the two "diets"...maybe thats my problem. But it just seems as if if there is very little "cheating" room on this one.
Any suggestions?

To me...the best part of weight watchers was that they gave you cheat points. 49 points of them every week!!! So if I went over my daily number, I had a fudge factor to keep me from getting down on myself. I am going over every day now, and I am terrified of what the scale will read on my next weigh in.
On my last diet, if I wanted to munch out at the end of the day...I could eat all the fruit and frsh veggies I wanted without having to count them. My cupboards are bare, but I always have fruit around. So far...this just isnt working for me. Its the exercise that makes or breaks this diet isnt it??
Signed,
Totally afraid of failure and beating myself up at the end of every day

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes don't involve cheating...they involve making what you like fit into your daily goal. I eat what I want. Most of the time I eat things that are good for me but ill eat candy and cake if it fits into my day and I've managed to lose 33 pounds and i'm still losing. diet is key in any weight loss but you have to be willing to work if you want to be able to eat whatever
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    You were counting calories on WW as well they just made it a tad bit easier for you. 45-50 calories is roughly the equivalent to one point. You can still follow the WW "lifestyle" as you say just change you're calories into points if that's the way you prefer to do it? Regardless, you CAN do this and if just practice a little bit more self control I'm more than positive you can achieve some miraculous results. MFP is just a catalyst to weight loss you are the one that needs to be accountable for what you put into your body at the end of the day. Don't give up though, you're here and thats the first step just keep on pushing!!
  • AlisiaMurta
    AlisiaMurta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This is a site that will let you know how many calories you can eat to maintain your weight, of you're going over this amount daily, then maybe you should be worried. 1200 is the bare minimum a women should eat, maybe bump it up a little, and when you get used to that cut again.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calories is to go for a 1 lb loss per week. Did you lose a lb a week on weightwatchers?
    I am using the 1500 calorie diet and not counting exercise calories. This would cause me to lose about 1/2 lb per week and I am much more comfortable with the 1500 calorie diet. If I am having a family celebration (with fatty foods, in small qualtities), I dance and chase my grandson around, and count the exercise calories that day. It is much easier this way.
    I am 5 ft 6 in, and the 1500 calories diet works fine for me.
    Have fun with this. :drinker: (lots of water!)
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since WW worked for you, have you considered following the WW plan and logging it on MFP? Even if the numbers don't work exactly, you'll be eating in a manner that suits you and enjoying the support from MFP folks. Also, you can increase your calorie limit here to a number that fits your needs.
  • jessbatts
    Options
    Hi, you cant keep using the word diet!! I know when I want to eat better if i use the word diet my body just craves junk food and my will power is very low!!
    You need to just know what works for you & your body and if there is a chocolate biscuit that you can't do with out just have one and let your brain be satisfied!! Also when you go grocery shopping dont buy the things you know will tempt you!!! If its not there you can't have it!
    Hope this helps a little : D
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    If you want to eat more, exercise more. You are allowed to "eat back" any extra calories you burned from exercise.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi there. This time around for me, my calories are lower than ever and I have really struggled with it. Maybe if you look more at portions rather than what you can't eat it will help? And yeah I think the exercise does make a big difference. I know if I'm getting close to my calories at the end of the day I try to add extra exercise to be sure I dont go over. it does take some getting used to, if you have some days where you are over instead of getting bummed about it, try to look back at why your over, if your eating too much food, the wrong kind of food, etc. I hope you get the hang of it.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    We are ALL entitled to have a cheat day now and then. I find it very helpful to log my calories, it let's me know how I'm doing. So when I want to have olive oil, I know I can't go as crazy as I used to. For me, butter is a better substitute with sooo much less fat.

I'm sorry, it's been a very long time since I've been on Weight Watchers, I just keep track of calories now.
    If you want support, please feel free to add me. I hope that you NEVER beat yourself up emotionally, it's just not worth it!!!!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat your exercise calories back. That has worked like magic for me. When I know I will splurge, I make sure I fit in a good workout to compensate. Good Luck! :happy:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Since WW worked for you, have you considered following the WW plan and logging it on MFP? Even if the numbers don't work exactly, you'll be eating in a manner that suits you and enjoying the support from MFP folks. Also, you can increase your calorie limit here to a number that fits your needs.

That is a GREAT idea. That way you get the great feedback this site has to offer, get to see how exercise factors in, and know the real cal value of what you are eating.

I did WW twice. So I`ve learned what they had to teach me. I love MFP because I can plan my meals ahead of time, and do portion control before I eat.

And I`ve been losing well, and am not hungry!
  • heymac01
    Options
    Absolutely, You need to exercise and then you will earn more calories to consume. Keep up the great work. It is worth it.:smile:
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've done weight watchers too and now MFP - this is my fourth week. I'm finding I'm eating similar amounts of things to when I was on WW, but I'm not eating any treats that WW suggest you have like two ? (it's been a while) points a day of.
    By best advice is that I've found the first week on ANY restricted diet really tough - it takes a while for your stomach to adjust to the new amounts/types of foods you're feeding it.
    What I am doing is allowing myself one cheat night where I can have a few (maybe 3?) drinks so I don't go totally crazy.
    I'm also exercising so I earn more calories so I can eat a bit more.
    Drink loads of water.
    If you want to eat your "cheat points" - do it in moderation - you'll maybe just lose a little less weight - or do extra exercise to make up for it.
    Best of all, listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat - just make the right food choices.
    The people on this site are really motivating and logging in each day is really easy. You'll get the hang of it, give yourself some time to adjust.
    Add me as a friend if you like :)
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider upping your calories to 1300 or 1400...I personally think 1200 is the absolute bare minimum amount of calories that you should have in a day. Zig-Zagging may help also, especially when you have something special and you know you are going to go over your calories :)
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I started this journey in the summer when I was not working so I exercised a lot and had more calories to play with. I slowly adjusted downward how much and what I was eating. Now after 4 months, I sometimes can't get to my 1200 calories on days that I don't exercise. I really get full easier, and don't require so much food. I eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water. i do eat treats when I feel like it and I drink on the weekends....that is when i workout the most :-) You'll get the hang of what works for you!! Good luck :-)
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as bad foods, there are foods that are healthy and foods that are not that healthy. You have to just decide to make the choice to eat the healthier foods, but allow your self a treat every now and then. If you know you are going to be going to a birthday party or somethign with cake then eat low cal stuff the rest of the day to make the wiggle room for that cake or pizza or whatever at the party. Just remember your weightloss is decided by you and what you do for yourself (such as what you eat and how much you workout) LIke Bob Harper says "Calories in, Calories out". If you would like I could look at you food diaries and see what I think could/should be changed that may help! :D You can do this, just don't give up!!
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more, exercise more. You are allowed to "eat back" any extra calories you burned from exercise.

This.Sure eating healthy will lose weight but ultimately somewhere along the line you have to incorporate exercise(my opinion). Baby steps. If you wish to eat workout.If you do not wish to workout thats fine,stick with the calories and you will lose weight.Hardest part can be getting your head around it,stick with it,patience,try to not beat yourself up over bad days so long as they don't become every single day.

My reason for exercising isnt always so I can eat.Emotionally I feel it balances me,I feel better about myself,my day and I feel more stable in a sense.The benefits of working out be it a walk around the block to an aerobics class are many.
  • rnagehrke
    Options
    It is very hard to change and you have to mentally be ready more then anything. The bottom line is what do I want more, this cookie or to be healthy. That being said I also eat anything I want. If I want the cookie I eat it, even if it tips me over my daily limit. I have followed my own plan and basically eat 50 to 75% vegetables and fruits with each meal. 25% lean protein and 25% whole grain carbs. I exercise an hour at least 5 times a week. I have lost 111 lbs with this plan. I know that I will have to eat this way for the rest of my life if I want to keep the weight off.
    This certainly will not work for everyone. Everyone who asks me what I am doing responds with "Oh, I could never do that". Well maybe they can't. You have to find the program that works for you even if you have to make it up.

Good Luck to you, I hope you find the change that works for you.
  • stdjld34
    Options
    I am by no means an expert on this subject, but MFP calculates your weekly calories deficit based on the amount of weight/week you elect to lose (this is just an estimation based upon lifestlye+age+current weight+etc), although to me it seems to work just fine. Anyway, a "typical" individual needs about a 3500 calories per week deficit to lose about 1 pound (BMR+exercise-intake >=3500/week), again this is just average, everyone is different. But if you "cheat" or per se go over you alotted daily calories goal, if at the end of the week you are not exactly at the 3500, it doesn't mean you will not lose weight, but you weight loss will be proportionately slower, so just keep that in mind, just an aside we all have our bad days, the key though is perserverance.

If someone reads this, and I am absolutely wrong, please feel free to correct me.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers and calorie counting - I find calorie counting easier. Exercise is key but not just with calorie counting. You can eat what you like, make the numbers work, just like they say in WW, but you will learn in time the healthier choices allow you to eat more. Then when you exercise you can eat up those calories too. Check out what your friends are eating for meal ideas. And make more friends for motivation. I will send you a friend request. Good luck!