Very high insulin levels

Options
Hey,

So I went to the docs for blood test results & what came back was that my insulin levels
are 26 when a normal persons is less than 15.
I've been referred to my endocrinologist. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea
what this means? My fasting glucose tested fine and blood sugars are normal. So hmmm
I have no idea really.

Any hints would be great as the Internet is confusing me

Pink

Replies

• Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My first guess is hypoglycemia, make sure you take notes at your referral and ask ask ask, good luck hun!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Hey,

So I went to the docs for blood test results & what came back was that my insulin levels
    are 26 when a normal persons is less than 15.
    I've been referred to my endocrinologist. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea
    what this means? My fasting glucose tested fine and blood sugars are normal. So hmmm
    I have no idea really.

Any hints would be great as the Internet is confusing me

Pink

A follow-up with the endocrinologist will be your best bet. I will now list many things that cause raised insulin levels, but by no means is this going to help you. We are impatient these days and try to find answers online - which is useful at time, but mostly frustrating. Be patient, see the doc. Nobody here can tell you anything enlightening, because we can't see your entire health history, your skin, your gait, your eyes, your medication list etc etc... All of which make up an assessment of YOU as an individual, which will be performed by your doc. Here's the list, maybe it will help cure some curiousity (just don't let it scare the crap out of you). ;)

Drugs that can raise insulin; corticosteroids, levodopa, oral contraceptives

Other causes; Insulinoma, Cushing's Syndrome, Acromegaly, Food intake/Obesity, Fructose or Galactose Intolerance
  • toomuchtrish
    Options
    Hi, I hear you!

My insulin level is 37... what the doctor told me it meant was insulin resistance...which is a precursor to diabetes,, and with my elevated triglycerides, means Metabolic Syndrome.... what that means is my body wants to store EVERYTHING it can as fat... and doesn't care as much for the muscles... and I am hungry all the time... because the muscles want food, but the insulin is being stingy and sends all the food energy into storage.

I found Gary Taubes book "Why we get fat and what to do about it" helpful. What he recommends is a very low carb diet... seriously low... like 20 gm of carb a day...

My doctor put me on metformin... hopefully with weight loss and diet changes, I will get my numbers down...

good luck.... follow up with doctor.... even 10% weight loss will improve numbers... also, exercise will reduce insulin levels, and adding cinnamon to diet also helpful.

God Bless,

Trish aka "toomuchtrish"

PS The other post is right.... the doctor needs to see you and see what it means for you.... but weight loss will always be one of the recommendations!
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I guess I just have to be patient until nov 17th when I see the endocrinologist & focus on my weight until then!!

It is soooo hard not to google tho!!!!

Cheers pink
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other comment, you may want to goodl PCOS and see if you have any symptoms. (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome) This is another endocrine disease that is extremely common. I think seeing an endocrinologist is a great thing -- your doctor is doing the right thing by referring you --- many never do that. I actually had to research and and figure out what I had by myself -- then tell my doctor what it was and ASK for a referral.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    My only comment is - stay off the internet. It's general, it's scary, and it has nothing to do with YOU or YOUR specifics. It can scare you - when you just need to be informed. Which you will be soon. As someone else said - ask questions, take notes. I'd highly recommend taking someone you trust with you. They can have the pen and paper and take notes. You'll forget some stuff, and probably get a lot of info - well...hopefully you will, but it's good to have another set of ears listening. Good luck, keep us posted.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My only comment is - stay off the internet. It's general, it's scary, and it has nothing to do with YOU or YOUR specifics. It can scare you - when you just need to be informed. Which you will be soon. As someone else said - ask questions, take notes. I'd highly recommend taking someone you trust with you. They can have the pen and paper and take notes. You'll forget some stuff, and probably get a lot of info - well...hopefully you will, but it's good to have another set of ears listening. Good luck, keep us posted.

I disagree.. if I wasn't able to google it would have been even longer before they diagnosed my PCOS. I had to TELL THEM what I thought it was and I was right. Yes, there are a lot of scary and stupid things but there is also a lot of very good information. If nothing else, you can go in there armed with information -- which you don't have to mention -- but if they are clueless like mine was, you can suggest something.
  • moniquelessard
    Options

I disagree.. if I wasn't able to google it would have been even longer before they diagnosed my PCOS. I had to TELL THEM what I thought it was and I was right. Yes, there are a lot of scary and stupid things but there is also a lot of very good information. If nothing else, you can go in there armed with information -- which you don't have to mention -- but if they are clueless like mine was, you can suggest something.

I agree with this. As a patient, you need to make yourself informed because your gut feeling can help in getting a diagnosis. Just be careful not to SELF diagnose... which is a completely different thing. xo
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i agree with miss mary if you dont have a reg cycle it could def. be Pcos
  • brandygirl614
    Options
    My insulin levels are also 37 and I am due to see the endo??? Doctor. But not for 2 months , I was just wonder how things worked out for you, I see it has been some years since you posted so hopefully u will be able to respond
  • ansheppard
    ansheppard Posts: 1
    Options
    I was just told this morning that my insulin level was extremely high at 215. That's not a typo...215! My doctor said she's never seen an insulin level so high and that it should be <25. I'm 33 years old & weigh 203 lbs. I have had no luck losing the baby weight I gained from having my daughter almost 14 months ago. I breastfeed for a complete year and lost nothing while breastfeeding. My doctor is putting me on Metformin today while we wait for more of my blood work tests to come back over the next couple of days. I've been researching all morning and am not finding anything online about insulin levels this high. I'm worried.