Limited Time! McRib!

Options
From Xfinity News Service:
What’s Hiding Under the McRib Sauce?
by Audrey Morrison

It’s obvious that actual ribs aren’t sandwiched between the bun of a McRib. So what is? Well, apparently a lot of heart and sole goes into making the limited edition offering from McDonald’s. Literally.

Several people have dug up the actual ingredients of the McRib and they’re findings might make you delete the McRib Locator you saved in your bookmarks when you heard the sandwich made its way back on to the McDonald’s menu until November 14.

According to TIME’s Meredith Melnick and Chicago Magazine’s Whet Moser, there are roughly 70 ingredients in the limited release McRib. Pork patty, bun, barbecue sauce, pickle Slices and slivered onions are the ones we can see and that are listed as ingredients by McDonalds. The ones we can’t see are a bit more troubling.

Moser explains that the pork patty is actually characterized as a “restructured meat product” that tends to be made of pig heart, scalded stomach and tripe. When these ingredients are cooked with salt and water, proteins are extracted and act as a form of “glue” that helps keep the reshaped “rib” meat together. Melnick breaks down the bun, which is comprised of chemicals like azodicarbonamide, “a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and soles of shoes.”

The McDonald’s website describes the McRib as “sweet, tangy, saucy temptation.” Diving a little deeper reveals the sauce-slathered sandwich boasts 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. One the bright side, there is 1 mg of Vitamin C.

Are you still ‘lovin’ it’?

Replies

• DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have never had one of those and I don't plan on it. I'll take the real thing please.

Barf.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    lol what's funny about this is I've always been fascinated by the idea of the mcrib, but they've scared me way too much to ever try. my fascination just died. Thanks for real!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Wow that is really gross. . I for one have no intention of eating one of those~
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I never thought a McRib sounded good so never had one. Now I'm happy that's one disaster I missed!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    They should call it McMysteryRib
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I HOPE you know that school lunches serve "Rib B Ques" that are similiar!!
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    McDonalds help my kids kick their desire for McDonalds when the got some of their "all white meat" nuggets the healthier ones the brag about now. They helped them kick the habit but me biting into one and pulling out a chuck of caritlidge the size of a nickle.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I HOPE you know that school lunches serve "Rib B Ques" that are similiar!!

Not in Australia... no processed food allowed.

Our school canteens have come along way since I was a child. Every Wednesday I give my daughter $4.00 and she gets a chicken salad and what ever else she likes....
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Every time I had one it always gave me diarrhea. Makes sense.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    YUUUCKKK!!!!!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    EWWWWWWWW
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    They used to server something that looked just like that in the schools I went to, somewhat the same name. They were disgusting then
    I've seen something that looks like them in the frozen foods aisle at some grocery stores. Take the time to read what's inside McDonald's food and you'll go out of your way to go somewhere else. I honestly don't recall the last time I went to a McDonald's.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    EXCUSE ME while I go barf!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    They should call it McMysteryRib

LOL!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll be the only one to say I enjoyed quite a few of these. Helped to contribute to me being so fat I'm sure. Hell, Id still eat them if it wouldn't cause weight gain. There's a lot we don't know about our foods unless we're all eating organic. I'm doubting most of us are. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    by Audrey Morrison

It’s obvious that actual ribs aren’t sandwiched between the bun of a McRib. So what is? Well, apparently a lot of heart and sole goes into making the limited edition offering from McDonald’s. Literally.

Several people have dug up the actual ingredients of the McRib and they’re findings might make you delete the McRib Locator you saved in your bookmarks when you heard the sandwich made its way back on to the McDonald’s menu until November 14.

According to TIME’s Meredith Melnick and Chicago Magazine’s Whet Moser, there are roughly 70 ingredients in the limited release McRib. Pork patty, bun, barbecue sauce, pickle Slices and slivered onions are the ones we can see and that are listed as ingredients by McDonalds. The ones we can’t see are a bit more troubling.

Moser explains that the pork patty is actually characterized as a “restructured meat product” that tends to be made of pig heart, scalded stomach and tripe. When these ingredients are cooked with salt and water, proteins are extracted and act as a form of “glue” that helps keep the reshaped “rib” meat together. Melnick breaks down the bun, which is comprised of chemicals like azodicarbonamide, “a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and soles of shoes.”

The McDonald’s website describes the McRib as “sweet, tangy, saucy temptation.” Diving a little deeper reveals the sauce-slathered sandwich boasts 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. One the bright side, there is 1 mg of Vitamin C.

Yep. I eat balut and dinuguan so this is tame compared to them. You "health" people are funny. Let me guess, you guys got fat eating healthy food right?
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    by Audrey Morrison

Yep. I eat balut and dinuguan so this is tame compared to them. You "health" people are funny. Let me guess, you guys got fat eating healthy food right?

ZING!:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Oh em gee, I love you.
    I want to use this answer SO often around here.

WIN.
    It gets irritating. The same people that are going "ewww" "nasty" etc. got fat eating fast food. So now all of a sudden, since they are on some diet kick and thinking that eating healthier will "make" them healthy, anyone that eats fast food isn't in their class.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Oh em gee, I love you.
    I want to use this answer SO often around here.

WIN.
    It gets irritating. The same people that are going "ewww" "nasty" etc. got fat eating fast food. So now all of a sudden, since they are on some diet kick and thinking that eating healthier will "make" them healthy, anyone that eats fast food isn't in their class.

I would say that is a good thing.