Sleep and Food

Options
My life has been so nuts lately, that I've gone from sleeping just slightly less than your average Joe, to sleeping 2-3 hours a night and needing cup after cup of Joe.

I was wondering I suppose how much being awake, up, and about affects your metabolism, nutritional requirements, and caloric use during the course of a (longer than usual) day? I know all too well that sleep deprivation is awful in its own rights, but sometimes you just don't have much of a choice! :p

I certainly FEEL like I need more food to get through the day! Is that just habit, or trying to combat fatigue, or do you actually need more healthy fuel?

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I guess because your body is awake longer you'd need more food to make more energy. But you're right you need sleep. Things get all wacky when you have little sleep. Sleep in your car for a few minutes if you can. I do in between classes. Every little bit counts. Sooner or later you'll burn out.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As a person who has trouble sleeping I empathise! I do believe that lack of sleep affects out bodies and makes it harder to lose weight, and that at times of poor sleep and extra stress we need to eat super well.

From my experience I think you should focus on getting lots of high quality nutritious foods in and try to avoid processed or easy meals as much as possible. (Difficult when life is crazy busy I know!) You may need to eat more but be aware if its hunger need or comfort need!

Watch that you don't get drawn into drinking extra coffee / caffeinated drinks and into eating extra carbs and make sure you keep up with drinking enough water. I would also encourage you to try to stick to routine as much as possible and not to do any extra strenuous exercise....

Hope that helps?

Take care now.....
  • susaneec
    susaneec Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Much like stress in general, lack of sleep triggers a hormonal response in your body. It apparently suppresses a hormone that initiates feelings of fullness while eating. It also floods your body with a hormone that makes it think it's hungry. Here's a link to an article:

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

Sometimes, lack of sleep can't be helped. I feel you there. However, please try to get as much as you possibly can whenever you can.