SPARTANS: No Excuses - Chat Thread - Week 1 [CLOSED]

Options
******* TODAY YOU BECOME A SPARTAN ********

Welcome to Week One’s conversation thread! Please read this post thoroughly.

Hey - did you Check In yet? This is the thread to do so: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381968--closed-spartans-no-excuses-november-check-in-thread-wee

WHAT TO EXPECT

1. First, I have weekly extra exercise challenges. They are *completely optional,* but designed to help give a bit of extra burn and motivation to help you with your goals. You can substitute whatever you want as long as it is above and beyond what your routine is for that day. Every day, you’re building your strength, endurance, and muscle tone at the same time. Why *wouldn’t* you do it?

The challenges are designed to hyper-focus on one part of the body. Do them when and if you want. There are breaks built in, optional exercises for different levels of fitness, and a focus on flexibility and mental challenges as well. We even have a Thanksgiving challenge :)

2. Second, if you haven’t friended me, please feel free to do so! I am a writer by nature and will be blogging each week for another place to discuss specific issues for those who are interested. Again it’s not required, just another way to support each other.

3. Finally, this weekly conversation thread is a positive place ONLY. We’re all human, and even Spartans have been defeated (though not easily). Party poopers go poop elsewhere.

Remember...

Failure is in the staying down, not the falling down. The worst thing you could do is stop altogether, so by starting the challenge today, we hereby pledge to encourage, support, sympathize, and motivate as best we can no matter what you go through. There’s no judgment here, no elitism.

4. Last thought: Baby steps are still steps. Keep going. That is your mantra.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
*** DAY ONE CHALLENGE ***
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let’s start off with a pause for reality. There is only one thing everyone should do today:

1. HYDRATE. Drink 100 oz of water today.

What are the mind-boggling benefits of good hydration?

* We look and feel younger.
* Mental clarity gets a welcome boost.
* Our digestive system sends nutrients to each cell
* Weight control is restored.
* Ability to handle stress is enhanced.
* Pain from aching joints is reduced.
* Overall flexibility is restored.

All systems in the body function at their peak potential with good hydration. Sound too good to be true?
It is not. As simple minded as it may sound, water is the secret to good health.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/899372

Replies

• SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello Hello!!!

Water isn't a problem for me. I typically drink more than enough!! :) Love the extra challenges, though! And love having a separate place to just chat. :)

What kind of writing do you do, Kate?
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY ⓛ ⓞ ⓥ ⓔ THE CHALLENGES IDEA!! Will definitely be doing these!
    Sorry for riding my Caps Lock key there, I was a bit excited :)
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sarah - I am currently writing military science fiction. This year's Nano is about - ready? - Spartans. I am a video gamer on top of everything else, and the boys I hang out with (I run the website) have become real life friends. We've been a gaming clan for 7 years and we meet up regularly. Our main game was Halo, the microsoft XBOX game about how these super soldiers are created by the guv'ment to battle a huge group of aliens. Modded humans. I started fooling around with some funny stories about the people in my clan and it blew up into a serious novel, so that's what I'm looking to finish and maybe shop around to get published. I just published a synopsis and excerpt on my Nano profile.

So yea, I'm all about Spartans.

Tiwi - YEEAAHHHH I'm gonna kick your butt in a few days, LOL. I have abs and wall chairs and all kinds of fun stuff lined up.

I'm working on my first 16 ounces of the day. I think today I'm taking my food easy and will be having a shake for lunch and fish/veggies for dinner. Will be walking the dogs at lunch. Today is day 1 of my new job, too (I get to work from home!).

Safe to say that I'm pretty busy and being regimented will be the ONLY thing to save me...lol.
  • kateland
    Options
    Here's a blog post for this week's discussion if you like! Come join the conversation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kateland/view/spartans-let-s-talk-obstacles-164763
  • Dclem1206
    Options
    Sarah - I am currently writing military science fiction. This year's Nano is about - ready? - Spartans. I am a video gamer on top of everything else, and the boys I hang out with (I run the website) have become real life friends. We've been a gaming clan for 7 years and we meet up regularly. Our main game was Halo, the microsoft XBOX game about how these super soldiers are created by the guv'ment to battle a huge group of aliens. Modded humans. I started fooling around with some funny stories about the people in my clan and it blew up into a serious novel, so that's what I'm looking to finish and maybe shop around to get published. I just published a synopsis and excerpt on my Nano profile.

So yea, I'm all about Spartans.

Tiwi - YEEAAHHHH I'm gonna kick your butt in a few days, LOL. I have abs and wall chairs and all kinds of fun stuff lined up.

I'm working on my first 16 ounces of the day. I think today I'm taking my food easy and will be having a shake for lunch and fish/veggies for dinner. Will be walking the dogs at lunch. Today is day 1 of my new job, too (I get to work from home!).

Safe to say that I'm pretty busy and being regimented will be the ONLY thing to save me...lol.

Gamer friends are some of the best friends to have! I love my Guild Wars friends.
  • spasticlulu
    Options
    working on the water, boss lol ... I drink a lot of water but idk if I drink 100oz a day but I will today =)

GO SPARTANS!!!!
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I've already started on my water and I'm going to try to get the first 50 oz in before I have to go to work. Hope everyone has a good day!
  • kateland
    Options
    lulu - 100 oz is about 12 glasses! Maybe this will help. The only way the broken down fat gets out of your body is through your kidneys....the more water you drink, the faster the scale goes down! The challenge is to do it just for today - not every day (although in this case, 100 oz of water per day is just awesome)

fryboy - You ever play WoW? or other games? Don't know much about guild wars. I'm looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic in December :)

Pr2719 - is there a name I can call you other than this license plate sounding name?? LOL. Hey great enthusiasm on the water challenge! I just got 16oz down, and refilled. Heading to 32 and it's not even 11 yet.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Pr2719 - is there a name I can call you other than this license plate sounding name?? LOL. Hey great enthusiasm on the water challenge! I just got 16oz down, and refilled. Heading to 32 and it's not even 11 yet.
    [/quote]

LOL....someone asked me if it stood for public relations..however, now that you mentioned license plate, it does look like one. You can call me Lisa. I guess I should look into changing it. When I started MFP I never intended on making friends or posting on the boards which is why I chose an awkward user name.
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! :) It's nearing the end of the day where I live, but I'll try to get in at least 2 more cups of water! Had a pretty crazy day and kept putting off my Insanity workout. Finally pushed myself to do it and now I'm sore, but glad that I won't have to live with the regret of skipping a workout. *phew*

Looking forward to the challenges...let's bring it Spartans! :)

-Mabel.
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    And my goal was to drink 64oz this week.lol
    100oz it is! Wishing I sat closer to the bathroom!
  • Dclem1206
    Options
    Kateland - I used to play Woe and I loved my Night Elf Hunter! I can't do much gaming online since im a trucked but I play.GuildWars because there's no monthly subscription. Ill play GuildWars 2 when it comes out for the same reason, although I would anyways cause the first is so much fun! I thought about the new Star Wars game cause im a bit of a Star Wars nerd but I just wont have the time to play it that would justify a monthly subscription.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to start this :)
  • kateland
    Options
    All right people, I've just walked my brats for 50 minutes, have drank 32 oz of water (1/3 of the way there!) and am enjoying a protein shake for lunch. I'm about to dive into more work. That brisk walk really perked me up! (even if my dogs WERE being major tools)

Fryboy - ahh you were alliance scum! I of course went in a different direction...FOR THE HORDE!

Mabelebam - NICE!!! Way to push to get the water in! Sorry if you have to get up a few times tonight :x

cnkan - lmao, yep I started us off with a Spartan worthy goal. You can do it! Welcome to Sparta. LOL

Apryl we're thrilled you're here!
  • Fitconfidence
    Options
    This is a great challenge for me. I usually drink nothing, but water and my guilty pleasure ICED TEA, but I'm aiming for this 100 oz.

LET'S GO SPARTANS!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm training for a smaller adventure race.

Shannon
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have such problems getting my water in for the day especially on days that I have to go potty on a stick. Those days i have to limit my fluid intake so I don't "water down" the hormones I'm testing for. although I will do my absolute best to try and get my 100 oz. in. :)
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my working out. I ran 3/4 mile and walked 1 3/4. It was a slow pace but I RAN!!! YAYAYYAYYA
  • TinaS70
    TinaS70 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got my 30 mintues of exercise in this morning and now trying to get the water...the water will be a challenge for me considering I have never been much of a water drinker without added something to eat but I am sure going to give it all I've got
  • manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    Love the extra challenge - I'm lucky to get in 8 glasses a day but will be aiming to up that this week

I've done my first bit of exercise for the month with a run after work which I actually really enjoyed and wish I'd gone further now!