Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HRM*FITBIT*Vs*GoWear! or any Others

How does fitbit track your calorie burn, when its its not connected to your body in any type of way? I can understand the other HRM's because its counting your heartbeats and some even keep up with the temperature of your body. I just want to have a HRM that tracks my progress the best. Can someone please give me some excellent advice. This is my next goal reward and im almost there:drinker:

Replies

• mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    On the Fitbit website you enter your weight and age and all that and it "guesstimates" your calorie burn for each activity based on your steps. The fitbit I have tracks steps, miles traveled (after you enter your stride length), and calories burned. If I dont put my fitbit on in the morning it will still show calories burned just based on my BMR. And on things like the elliptical it is not as accurate because the steps are faster and maybe the stride is not my normal stride length. I love mine but it is not a HRM and does not accurately calculate that for each person. The newer fitbits that just came out I think also now calculate your altitude and the number of stairs you climb based on the changes. :)

*edited misspelled words before the spelling police get me. :)
  • If you want to pay the big $$$$ I would suggest you invest in a body bug
  • I have a polar FT7 and love it.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    I have a BodyMedia armband and LOVE it. It tracks me 24/7 and is 90% accurate. I have to admit that I am totally addicted to hitting my goals every day.

It tracks:
    Moderate Exercise
    Vigorous Exercise
    Steps
    Sleep
    Calories Burned
    and it is easy to track your calories consumed on their website also.

You can get a new one for $139 at Amazon, or you can always look on Ebay. That is where I purchased mine for $79 last January.

The people at BodyMedia are incredibly helpful and I have had no troubles, well worth the $6.99 a month (in my opinion):flowerforyou:

Best of luck!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
    Body bugs are too big if you have to wear a suit or dress to work. The arm band is too noticeable.
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Thnx..i was thinking about that b4
  • Raihaanah
    gr8 advice..i really want to track my sleep also, but mainly use it as a HRM
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I have a BodyMedia Fit Core armband, and I love it. It's comfortable (after about a day of wearing it, I don't even notice it anymore). I wear it all day and night. It tracks my sleep patterns (I can even see a blip in the graph at the time I know I got up to go to the bathroom). I see spikes in my calories burned at times when I was up from my desk at work and walking the building. I see spikes at times when I know I was climbing stairs. I even saw a spike the other night at the time I was making a mad dash from Walmart to my car in the rain! I track my food here at MFP (their database is better) and put my total calories in on the Body Media website. It shows my total calories burned for the entire 24 hour period, minus the calories I consumed, to figure out my deficit. I bought the display (there is a version that will sync with your Android phone, but my phone isn't supported--it's a prepaid plan and not as high-tech as some of what's out there). When I get ready to exercise, there is a trip meter on the display that I can zero out so I know how much I burned for my workout. I have to wait a couple of minutes after I finish to let the display catch up (it pulls data from the armband every 60 seconds).

If I'd only had 20-25 pounds to lose, I wouldn't have spent the money for the BodyMedia. But I need to lose about 75, and I felt like it was a worthy investment. I think once I reach goal weight and maintain for a year, I'll probably sell my armband so someone else can benefit from it.
  • kmbrooks15
    Body bugs are too big if you have to wear a suit or dress to work. The arm band is too noticeable.

The BodyMedia Core armband is a slimmer profile, so it's not as bulky. Most people don't even know I have it on unless my sleeves are really short.
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    I forgot to mention that the fitbit does track sleep. And on their website (like MFP) you can track your calorie intake and see charts showing your intake vs. burned. And for $99 it was the best choice for me. You can manually go in and change activites that are tracked or if you forget to wear the fitbit for certain activities. For instance this morning I did 2.6 miles on the elliptical but my fitbit said based on my steps that I had done 1.8. If the fitbit did monitor heart rate it would be perfect! :)
  • Raihaanah
    I have a BodyMedia armband and LOVE it. It tracks me 24/7 and is 90% accurate. I have to admit that I am totally addicted to hitting my goals every day.

It tracks:
    Moderate Exercise
    Vigorous Exercise
    Steps
    Sleep
    Calories Burned
    and it is easy to track your calories consumed on their website also.

You can get a new one for $139 at Amazon, or you can always look on Ebay. That is where I purchased mine for $79 last January.

The people at BodyMedia are incredibly helpful and I have had no troubles, well worth the $6.99 a month (in my opinion):flowerforyou:

Best of luck!
    Is there ANYWAY to get around for not paying for the subscription? do they have an APP for Android, anyone knows?
  • kmbrooks15
    You can just use the display and/or sync it with your phone, but you won't have complete information. The only thing the display or app shows is # of steps, calories burned, and amount of moderate/vigorous activity. If you don't do the subscription, then you might as well just do a regular heartrate monitor.

I don't plan to use mine forever. I will use it till I reach goal weight, then probably for about 6 months to a year of maintenance until I have a good idea what I need to do to keep maintaining.