What do I need to know about jogging?

Options
So I'm going to start the C25K again and made the mistake of talking to my mother about it. Apparently I'm going to injure myself and I don't know anything and I'm too heavy to be jogging anyway. (207 at 5'9".)

So, I've come to you runners of MFP to set me on the right path. Unleash your wisdom on me.

What do I need to know about jogging/running?

Replies

• Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Don't scrimp on your shoes. Get fitted at a running shoe store. Best investment you will make.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't scrimp on your shoes. Get fitted at a running shoe store. Best investment you will make.

this!!!
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    do a google search for c25k and theres a site that gives you a program to go by. it breaks it down for you so you dont do too much too soon. its supposed to help you reach the 25k within 9 weeks. if you cant find it i can try and find it and send you the link.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    do a google search for c25k and theres a site that gives you a program to go by. it breaks it down for you so you dont do too much too soon. its supposed to help you reach the 25k within 9 weeks. if you cant find it i can try and find it and send you the link.

http://www.c25k.com/
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    What do you need to know?............it's addictive. enjoy.
    I'd never run ever until 3 years ago, i now can't stop!!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options

i will be highly impressed if you are doing 25k in 9 weeks.

you are not too heavy at all. i started when i was 220 and i'm 5'7. other than good shoes, make sure you have a great bra.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

BUMP THIS
    One foot in front of the other.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I'd be interested to know these replies too!

I pulled ligaments in my lower calf/ankle in feb due to running on the treadmill and my crappy technique apparently! I got a gait analysis done and my left foot comes over my body and I also put too much pressure on my heels.

But I am going to start jogging again tonight. Am very nervous to say the least so I'll be reading the replies with interest.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    You are going to do great. I started at 5'4 and 188 pounds and no injuries. I'm on Week 5 and love it!!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I actually said in the post that I'm doing the C25K. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's all about the shoes...bad shoes equals bad running and injury.

Besides that go for it and prove her wrong!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I agree but would also suggest you read up about shoes first etc etc and don't assume that the running shoe store will be giving you the best fit, they are after all selling shoes for profit. (Bitter experience speaks here!) Make sure you try on several pairs before deciding.

If you can find a shop that also offers gait analysis - go there!

I wish I'd done this as I was mis-sold shoes which resulted in injury which has held up my progress and cost me quite a bit of money and frustration!

Good luck and friend me if you like....I'm a novice runner too!
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "Apparently I'm going to injure myself and I don't know anything and I'm too heavy to be jogging anyway. (207 at 5'9".)"

BULL! When I started the C25k I was about 270 pounds. I am 5'11". I agree with the others, buy some good shoes. Take it slow. You dont have to advance to the next week every week. Dont do it until you feel ready. In fact, I have been doing it since about May and I haven't made it past week 4. Sometimes I dont feel like doing week 4 so I will bounce around and go back down to week 2 or 3. It is hard, especially if you have never done anything like it. The first month or so I actually cried through most of my workouts, lol. Also if you feel a stich in your side you are pushing too hard. Your lungs have to be conditioned just like the rest of you. If you are running too fast you wont be able to run for very long.

You can do it!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    how about walking and running, what shoes for that?
  • BobDierk
    Options
    Be sure to do stretching exercises before and after you run. Start slow. Start with walks that include short runs (1/2 mile or less). When it starts to feel easier add a little more distance.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As others have said- GET GOOD SHOES!! Get fitted at a running store, where they will watch you run and be able to fit you with the right show so you do not injure yourself. Stretch!! Good stretching before and after can help prevent injuries. Listen to your body! Starting any new exercise routine, your muscles are going to be sore, make sure you pay attention to what hurts. If things are really sore, allow yourself to take a day off to help your muscles recoup.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water before and after your work out, its important to stay hydrated! Most of all, you are not too heavy! The C25k program is designed for people who have not run, so it will help you get into it slowly, so you do not risk injuries by starting out to fast!

Good Luck! Running is addicting!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    how about walking and running, what shoes for that?

I wear my running shoes - with my brand new orthotic insoles in!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the actual running in the C25K, take it slow. If you go too fast you'll get winded and won't be able to finish your runs and you'll get discouraged. This is for your benefit. It's not a race. Take your time and run at a pace that keeps you running. Even if it's barely faster than your walking speed.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's my blog post with all my beginner's tips in one place:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

My favourite is:
    1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

I'm tempted to add number 21 now - don't listen to your mother!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! So, about how much did everyone pay for their shoes? And what store (if it was a chain that might be anywhere) did you go to?