Sardine ideas anyone?

Options

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Fantastically helpful answers so far.

This post was asking for ideas, not asking if you (or your pet) like sardines......:yawn:

Here's an idea. Try the World Wide Web, I'm sure there are thousands of recipes for fresh sardines. In fact, you probably could have found something by now, instead of feeling the need to reply to everyone's reply.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    umm, with a fork? That's how I used to eat them.
    Wow, blown away by your incredibly intelligent wit.
    likewise :indifferent:
    but seriously, I used to eat them right out of the can.

I think you may have failed to read properly. I said FRESH sardines. Not tinned. So yes, very helpful answer indeed...

Ya know, you shouldn't be b!tchy to the one person on the thread who was helping you.

ALSO, if you GOOGLED it you would find lots of suggestions and you wouldn't even have to deal with people. People don't seem to be your strong suit so really I'd suggest you try google.com type "fresh sardines" into the text box.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    One of the best meals I had was in Portugal, fresh caught grilled sardines with olive oil,lemon juice and some kind of herb with a side of fluffy boiled potatoes, big raw tomatoes and chunky bread

So simple but so nice
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think quite a few of you are missing out on a very nutritious food here (though fair enough if you dont like the taste).

I personally don't believe the silly, small minded stigma attached to the name "sardine" it's frankly rather snobby:

Health Benefits:

•Sardines omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and therefore beneficial to those people suffering from joint problems like arthritis.

Fantastic!!! I find some people could really benefit from something that will reduce inflammation of their attitude, hypersensitivity and ego. :flowerforyou:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Arancine with Sardines

Ingredients
    Rice:
    2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 red onion, chopped into 1/8-inch dice
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    2 cups arborio rice
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 cup grated pecorino
    2 eggs plus 2 eggs separated
    Stuffing:
    1 cup basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
    8 ounces salted sardines, rinsed, heads removed and roughly chopped
    2 sprigs mint
    1/4 cup flour for dusting
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs for coating
    Extra-virgin olive oil for frying
    Directions
    To make the rice: In a 4 to 6-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until just smoking. Add half the chopped red onion and tumeric, and cook until softened, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add rice and chicken stock, and bring to boil, uncovered. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Spread rice out to cool on a large cookie sheet, about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick. When rice is cool, mix with the Pecorino, 2 eggs, and 2 egg yolks, and set aside

To make the stuffing: In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, cook the remaining chopped onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, chopped sardines, and mint, and cook 5 to 7 minutes until reduced by one third and quite thick. Set aside and allow to cool.

To assemble: Place the flour for dusting, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls and lightly beat egg whites. To form arancine, place 3 tablespoons rice mixture in palm of hand and make an indentation with the back of a spoon. Spoon 2 tablespoons sardine mixture into indentation and form an open bowl out of the rice in your hand. Cover filled portion with another tablespoon of rice mixture and using both hands, shape the rice into a ball. Continue with remaining rice mixture and stuffing until done.

Roll each ball in flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs and refrigerate 1 hour, uncovered.

Heat 4 inches of cooking oil in fryer or deep frying pan to 375 F degrees. Carefully place 3 balls at a time into pan and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring with tongs or kitchen spoon to keep them moving. Drained cooked balls on paper towels and place on large platter and serve either warm or at room
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Thanks for this!
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey you should totally make CAESAR SALAD DRESSING. YUM! and low cal :)
  • eeebee
    Options
    Arancine with Sardines

Ingredients
    Rice:
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    2 cups arborio rice
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 cup grated pecorino
    Stuffing:
    2 sprigs mint
    Directions
    To make the rice: In a 4 to 6-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until just smoking. Add half the chopped red onion and tumeric, and cook until softened, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add rice and chicken stock, and bring to boil, uncovered. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Spread rice out to cool on a large cookie sheet, about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick. When rice is cool, mix with the Pecorino, 2 eggs, and 2 egg yolks, and set aside

To make the stuffing: In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, cook the remaining chopped onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, chopped sardines, and mint, and cook 5 to 7 minutes until reduced by one third and quite thick. Set aside and allow to cool.

To assemble: Place the flour for dusting, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls and lightly beat egg whites. To form arancine, place 3 tablespoons rice mixture in palm of hand and make an indentation with the back of a spoon. Spoon 2 tablespoons sardine mixture into indentation and form an open bowl out of the rice in your hand. Cover filled portion with another tablespoon of rice mixture and using both hands, shape the rice into a ball. Continue with remaining rice mixture and stuffing until done.

Roll each ball in flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs and refrigerate 1 hour, uncovered.

Heat 4 inches of cooking oil in fryer or deep frying pan to 375 F degrees. Carefully place 3 balls at a time into pan and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring with tongs or kitchen spoon to keep them moving. Drained cooked balls on paper towels and place on large platter and serve either warm or at room

Ok, now THIS is more like it - now we're talking.

I'd have never in a million years thought that people do this with fresh sardines.

Sounds incredible, I look forward to trying this - will report back with some feedback after giving it a go - thank you

:smile:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    For someone looking for help, you sure are quick to jump on people. Are you new to the internet? Silly and sarcastic answers happen. You've managed to put down anyone trying to have some fun on a Tuesday morning, and have yet to thank anyone that offered help. Why don't you be a lamb and thank those who provided links and recipes. While you're at it, thank Q for for sharing her experience with you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh good - you finally took a moment to thank people. What a peach.
  • eeebee
    Options
    One of the best meals I had was in Portugal, fresh caught grilled sardines with olive oil,lemon juice and some kind of herb with a side of fluffy boiled potatoes, big raw tomatoes and chunky bread

So simple but so nice

That sounds great, I've caught them before (well, only the one) whislt on a boat in Turkey and when the captain cooked it, it was stunning, I didnt get the recipe though so thanks for this.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hey you should totally make CAESAR SALAD DRESSING. YUM! and low cal :)

That's anchovies. Different little fish.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Oh good - you finally took a moment to thank people. What a peach.

But still not me, and I posted the link to the Portugese sardine recipe. Never thank me or anything.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

So simple but so nice

That sounds great, I've caught them before (well, only the one) whislt on a boat in Turkey and when the captain cooked it, it was stunning, I didnt get the recipe though so thanks for this.

That would be the recipe I POSTED.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Arancine with Sardines

Ingredients
    Rice:
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    2 cups arborio rice
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 cup grated pecorino
    Stuffing:
    2 sprigs mint
    Directions

Ok, now THIS is more like it - now we're talking.

I'd have never in a million years thought that people do this with fresh sardines.

Sounds incredible, I look forward to trying this - will report back with some feedback after giving it a go - thank you

:smile:
    Happy to help. I found it on food network. I'm sure if you search healthy sardine recipes you would find a ton. Enjoy:drinker:
  • eeebee
    Options
    Happy to help. I found it on food network. I'm sure if you search healthy sardine recipes you would find a ton. Enjoy:drinker:

Nicely found, excited to try this!

I initially googled fresh sardine recipes, but I also wanted to get other new and home made ideas from other helpful home cooks, that's simply all (so I appreciate those of you who gave me your suggestions, thank you).

The way I see it, if I can help, then I reply to threads. I genuinely enjoy sharing ideas and recipes with others, it gives me great pleasure :smokin:
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    It has been a longggggg time since I ate any. Are you taking about the ones that come in a can? I used to eat them with hot sauce on a cracker. My husband ate some recently with mustard straight out of the can.
  • eeebee
    Options
    It has been a longggggg time since I ate any. Are you taking about the ones that come in a can? I used to eat them with hot sauce on a cracker. My husband ate some recently with mustard straight out of the can.

I do enjoy the canned ones but these are fresh ones I'm talking about which are a lot bigger and will probably stink out my house when I cook them, but will all be worth it I'm sure!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Careful...she's touchy about mentioning the canned kind.
  • eeebee
    Options
    :laugh: