Refined sugar vs natural sugar

Options
I recently started tracking sodium and sugars. I have a tough time with keeping the sugars below daily amount. Mostly because I like to eat fruit. I know there are good carbs and bad carbs. So, I guess my question is are there good sugars and bad sugars or are all sugars bad? Thanks for the input.

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I do not worry about natural sugars in food such as milk, fruits, vegetables, etc. I do not eat any added sugars. I eat honey and agave in moderation (like once a week), and I stay away from artificial sweeteners. Check the labels for added sugars, not grams of sugar. Just my two cents worth.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is from natural fruit, I don't worry about it much.
    If you mean canned fruit in sugary syrup --- that's what I wouldn't eat.

Your sugars also go up with many types of carbs too...t
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    woohooo!!!! Another sugar thread!!! I hadn't seen one in like, a whole day or so.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar (ok, your body does process some sugars differently from others, but essentially this is true), but that doesn't mean you should limit your fruit intake. Get your recommended 2 cups of fruit a day and don't worry about the sugar in them.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    woohooo!!!! Another sugar thread!!! I hadn't seen one in like, a whole day or so.

LOL sugar is serious business don't ya know?!

To the OP: don't worry about it. Eat the fruit and don't worry about the limit. Fruit has so many good things like fiber and vitamins that it should not be avoided for a silly reason :]

I only track protein/carbs/fat (no medical problems) Its the only thing I try and focus on. The rest is just silly to worry
  • bomomar
    bomomar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Geeeeeeeze, why bother answering at all??
    There are new people here every day. The bulk of us here probably came here for weight loss assistance but wind up getting educated on proper nutrition. I know I am. And not all of us spend the entire day here so we may have missed the "other sugar threads".
    If you don't have the tolerance for the repeated posts, maybe passing up on answering IS the answer.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    To the OP:

Yes, there are different types of sugars. I've been reading up on the differences between Sucrose (your standard natural sugar) and processed sugar (High Fructose Corn syrup). For fruits you aren't going to be taking in enough Sucrose to be truly dangerous. Remember that sugar only become dangerous in VERY high amounts and that natural sugars are simply a form of chemical energy.

As to processed sugars like HFCS, the jury is out. Sucrose breaks down into Fructose (which is processed in the liver) and Glucose (which is used for insulin), and it's not clear yet how the body responds to Fructose without Glucose.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    If you are reasonably healthy, I wouldn't worry about the sugar too much, specifically sugars from fruit. There are some reasons why a doctor might suggest carefully monitoring sugar intake, but for most people going over on sugar isn't a big deal. Especially if you are eating within your calorie range and paying attention to macros.
  • krikit_lo
    krikit_lo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recommend watching The Bitter Truth at:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

this is a lecture from a professor at UCSF. It gets a bit long on the chemistry bits towards the end but really explains how the body treats different types of sugar.