Winter 5k................. What works for you?

Options
Im signing up for my first winter 5k and I have to say Im a little nervous about the cold lol I typically prefer my treadmill in the winter....

I had sinus surgery a few years back and my Dr said I would probably have issues running in the cold and I would love to prove him wrong.....

So......... for those of you who run in the cold, what is one thing you DO or NEED to have to get it done?

Replies

• elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in responses to your question as I also have sinus problems as well as asthma...

So far I have loved my running tights to keep my legs warm....but cant wear these on my head!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I am not an expert runner (I started in the end of August) but I am finding that the cooler months is chapping my skin like crazy. I am putting vaseline under my nose, on my cheeks...I do layer but I make sure I can remove one layer easily as I get warmed up within the first 10 minutes or so
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you need to get used to it. you just can't go out and do a 5k in the cold. go run, little by little, outside. bundle up, and experiment in how many layers you need, and what kind of stuff is most comfortable for you.

its 48* out now. going with nothing but regular compression shorts with gym shorts over them, north face long sleeve thermals and a regular tshirt, and a ball cap. lets see how i feel.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I read a post on this topic yesterday -- a lot of people said it's the dry air that irritates asthma and sinuses. The general recommendation was to run with a baklava/light scarf over your nose/mouth to keep the air that you breathe in moist.

I don't have breathing problems, but I am from Wisconsin, and highly recommend compression gear. Any loose material rubbing on cold skin causes serious chafing!
  • kmart20
    Options
    I love running outside when its cold, since I don't sweat as much... Make sure you dress in layers. I also run with gloves on that I can take off and put in my pockets in my hands get to hot.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I read a post on this topic yesterday -- a lot of people said it's the dry air that irritates asthma and sinuses. The general recommendation was to run with a baklava/light scarf over your nose/mouth to keep the air that you breathe in moist.
    ^^^ This, I get exercise-induced asthma and warmed, moistened air makes all the difference. I use one of these pulled up around my nose. It also discourages people from approaching me!

http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This, I get exercise-induced asthma and warmed, moistened air makes all the difference. I use one of these pulled up around my nose. It also discourages people from approaching me!

http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php

I have a buff which I have used hiking when it's cold though I find it feels very constricting around my neck, maybe I need to make my own....hmmm