Sodium Filled Meal!!!!!! What???

Options
So tonight I'm having an asian dinner, however, the meat has been marinated and my friend has put around 25 tbsp of soy sauce in the meal which is a TON of sodium. What should I do? Will drinking a ton of water be enough to not get bloated?

Replies

• kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position, I'd just be very careful not to consume sodium in your food before dinner and then limit how much you eat tonight. Does your friend know that you are on a healthy diet?
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Also up your potassium intake as much as possible prior to and after the meal. We need roughly twice the potassium as sodium, they work together to regulate body fluids.
  • tonialeem
    Options
    There are foods you can eat that reduce bloating from water retention...Banana's, Brocolli are good examples. just make sure you eat low sodium for a couple days and get a good work out and sweat on it'll be fine
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Its one dinner. Relax and enjoy....drink lots of h2o
  • patience842003
    Options
    She knows I am dieting. She is dieting as well since last week. I have found that I am quite sensitive to the sodium. I have to drink like 16-20 cups of water to offset it sometimes.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would not be freaking out over one dinner ... you don't want to be the crazy guest no one invites because you worry what's in everything. No one will ever be perfect 100% of the time. Enjoy time with your friends --- watch your sodium before and after, dink your fluids, live your life ----
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Its one dinner. Relax and enjoy....drink lots of h2o

I agree.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would not be freaking out over one dinner ... you don't want to be the crazy guest no one invites because you worry what's in everything. No one will ever be perfect 100% of the time. Enjoy time with your friends --- watch your sodium before and after, dink your fluids, live your life ----

Double Agree....
  • patience842003
    Options
    The problem is that there is like 4000 mg of sodium in one serving. Even before I started watching my weight that would have freaked me out a little bit :-)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The problem is that there is like 4000 mg of sodium in one serving. Even before I started watching my weight that would have freaked me out a little bit :-)

Why? Do u have hyper tension? Ya....its a lot but i think u will be ok. Keep sodium low all week and guzzle water
  • tonialeem
    Options
    It's not like you're going to be lapping up every last once of soy sauce in there.....just watch your postion size and if she's a friend why not ask her to pair it with a low sodium side dish.
    she'll understand and maybe be inspired to make smarter choices as well
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't eat it, but I have hypertension, so it's not really SAFE for me to eat that. Since you, I'm assuming, DON'T have it, then I say go for it and do what all these other people have said. :D
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So tonight I'm having an asian dinner, however, the meat has been marinated and my friend has put around 25 tbsp of soy sauce in the meal which is a TON of sodium. What should I do? Will drinking a ton of water be enough to not get bloated?

Is the soy sauce primarily in the marinade? The meat only absorbs a fraction of the marinade, typically, and you're usually not supposed to use the leftover marinade after it's been soaking in raw meat... so while the 25 tbsp of soy sauce may have been necessary to ensure all the meat got enough sauce to soak in, it probably won't be that much once you dump the excess.

And if it's in whatever sauce you're having with your meat/meal, then just try to take a little less of the sauce if you're really worried about it.

Just remember there are going to be lots of times in the future where you can't control everything about your meals and eating - and that's okay. Roll with the punches, try to keep your sodium down the next few days, drink lots of water... there'll be no permanent damage. :) You'll be fine!
  • patience842003
    Options
    Before I started my new lifestyle, I did struggle with high blood pressure. Especially this week at work when I have a crazy event my bp is probably up. I think I will not have any of the sauce. What has marinated into the meat is unavoidable but I will drink lots of water and eat broccoli for lunch. Thanks for the tips!
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    WOW. That is a ton of soy. She's basically dumping a whole bottle in. The good news is that the meat just won't absorb much of it at all. Plus, in cooking the meat, much of it will bleed out as the fat drains. (assuming it nots deep fried). At the end of the day, your friend is just wasting a bunch of soy sauce.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love it when I post and somebody else posts the same thing...:)
  • msterlitz
    Options

25 tbsp is a lot of soy sauce to be added to a recipe. Why so much? Perhaps eat something prior to having dinner with your friend that way you can have just a small portion and not still be hungry.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eat potassium rich food earlier in the day. I think spinach, bananas etc. Potassium can help balance out sodium I believe..
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Maybe she bought the low-sodium soy sauce.... if she's dieting too -- she might have. I sure would!
  • gomer_hosea
    Options
    Eeating celery combats the bloating. I learned this when I went out for Chinese a few weeks ago. So, drink lots of water, eat lots of green veggies, especially celery! :) :Love ya.