People with busy schedules

Options
2»

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also have a mad schedule, but I've found a few things that work for me:

1) I schedule exercise into my diary. At the same time every week where possible. Yes its time out of my schedule, but it actually clears my mind and makes me more productive. Evening exercise helps me to transition between the office and evening work and I get more done on these days!

2) When I work at home I take a break for 15 mins every 2 hours, and either run up and down stairs, jump on the mini trampoline or do some cleaning at top speed.

3) Meal plan - this is the biggest help. As well as ensuring I eat well it cuts down the shopping time needed, and helps OH to cook. He just looks at the menu on the fridge and does' have to think! I also try and batch cook at weekends and freeze.

Good luck you can do this, and you will find ways that work for you too I am sure.
    Jodye
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    If your studying involves reading you can take your text to the gym and read while on the treadmill or elliptical. I did that a lot when I was in school.

This. I bring articles and books to the gym so I can do my thesis research while I'm there. I can't really walk and read, but I can ride the stationary bike and read just fine. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.
  • sheamichael
    Options
    Hello,

My doctor told me the same thing. (Nutrition is everything), and not to stress too much about working out (I am similarly busy and also have fibromyalgia. , so I really cant physically work out if I wanted to) Just eat clean a good webiste for recipes is www.thegraciouspantry.com and Tosca Renos books.
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    can you take your books to the gym and study why you use the treadmill?
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm really busy too. I haven't exercised in a few weeks (I know, the SHAME) but one of the easiest things I found was Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred program. It really works you out well in about 20-25 minutes. That's hardly a time commitment, and I definitely recommend her program. :)
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Do you drive yourself, or take public transportation? If it's public transportation maybe you can get off a little early like a couple of blocks so that you can get some walking in for exercise?
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am a full time worker (teacher), full time student, wife and mother of two young children. I could not do this if I didn't wake up early (my early is 5 am) and get it done before everyone's day starts.

One thing that helps me is knowing that being fit helps every other aspect of my (busy!) life align neatly. This takes the air of any excuses I might try to blow up when it is cold out there and I don't feel like getting out of my warm bed.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as studying while exercising...I do not do this but my husband (who is also a full time student does). I know he has great success using note cards on the treadmill or pages of power point presentations...not so much gigantic tomes propped up and teetering on the edge, you know?
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would go with walking. Walk everywhere you can. That's what I did last term, I worked so much but I tried to walk everywhere I could, it definitely helped.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start two jobs plus go to school two nights a week.. and I'm feeling pretty nervous.

My plan is to just map everything out time wise, keep counting calories and figure out where I can do exercise.

On your breaks, can you do a quick video or take a walk around the block or something? That would def. help!
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay within the calorie goal MFP has set you for you that enables you to loose weigh by just cutting calories. If you can, take a book with you to read and go bicycle at the gym and study.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking on your lunch or breaks. Just to get moving around. Not always easy to do either but a few minutes can help. Otherwise, I have found that if I stick to my calorie goal, even without exercising or very little, I can continue to loose weight. It might be a bit slower but it still worked. I have been through a few periods where my schedule was just insane to fit in exercising.

Also, if you are able to, take the stairs vs the elevator at work (if there is one).
  • Clairesmom2
    Options
    Any of you other busy people who would like to add me as a friend please do. I would love to see how others fit exercise into their schedule. I have a two year old, watch another two year old twice a week and work evenings. I can't afford a gym that offers child care. I find it difficult to handle my schedule and get in work outs that would burn enough calories. I would love some inspiration on my home page!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    3 suggestions.

1. Buy a bike and keep it at work. Cycle 30 min a day.
    2. Commute back home: get off early and get home in a way that is exercise.
    3. Do HIIT, as that takes less time.

Good luck. I work full time, am studying for a masters, and have two small kids, and am on 24 hour cal 28 weeks of the year. Crazy! I get up early to work out, but 4:15 would do me in, so really, all the best.