How to lose belly flab?

Lylora
Lylora Posts: 21
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
So in recent months I've developed a pouch of belly flab. I've lost weight overall, and my legs (and butt) are slimming down, but the belly fat has appeared. I'll admit that I'm drinking more beer than I used to, but not THAT much. Any tips on getting rid of my stomach fat? I know that cutting calories and exercise will eventually help, I'm just wondering if there's anything more targeted that I can do. Specifically, I've been reading that situps can be bad for your spine and that certain types of situps build stomach muscle without burning that much fat, so I'm looking for tips or anything that's worked for other people. Best types of situps? Routines? Thanks!

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    WHAT A CUTE PENGUIN!!!

Sorry, all I got is reduce calories and do cardio and strength training. You have youth on your side, I know you can be fabulous :flowerforyou:
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    incorporate cardio to burn fat faster!! i'm a beer drinker too but this helps to even things out...

do both cardio & strength training (like jillian workouts)

good luck!
  • You cannot target fat loss, be consistent and stay under your calorie goal. It will happen eventually!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Typically belly fat is the hardest. There are a couple of things that really get rid of the belly fat. Eating healthy, core exercises with eating healthy being the key. ABS are made in the kitchen is they saying. So true. A good core routine that works the abs is good. The routine I like the best is P90x + AB routine.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Yep. Body fat % reduction = maintain calories and do exercise to burn fat. You cannot spot reduce. Belly fat is usually one of the last things to go. For men it is 99/100 times the last thing to go. For women it's either that or the fat on their thighs and *kitten*.

It also takes time. It didnt' get there overnight, and it won't leave overnight.

Best of luck.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Actually belly fat can be targeted and is one of the easier fats to lose initially. I went to a conference where a very well known researcher presented and has done extensive research on this type of fat. For belly fat, it is recommended to eat lower carb meals, and cardio workouts. Even walking is a great way to aid in the loss from this area.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    if you don't adjust your eating to loose the layer of fat and you workout, you will only build strength, not see much of a decrease in size. I love it when people say, your belly grows if you do this and that., none of that is true. It's simple, if you don't get rid of the diet culprit not allowing you to trim the underlayer, then you just build strength, deep down, you don't grow. In order to lose, you have to cut foods to contribute to belly fat, and beer is not your friend, no matter how little you think it is.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Try pilates and yoga. Also what they call six inches. give it time and work it into your daily exercises. These exercises help tone and shape. You cant do spot treatment but you will be amazed at what strength training and stretching can accomplish.
  • Actually belly fat can be targeted and is one of the easier fats to lose initially. I went to a conference where a very well known researcher presented and has done extensive research on this type of fat. For belly fat, it is recommended to eat lower carb meals, and cardio workouts. Even walking is a great way to aid in the loss from this area.

Hmm I am doubting this. Would rather see some peer review studies.
  • i am doing ZUMBA.....burn 500- 600 kcal and have fun!!!! after giving birth ...my belly is gone with zumba:wink:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    So in recent months I've developed a pouch of belly flab. I've lost weight overall, and my legs (and butt) are slimming down, but the belly fat has appeared. I'll admit that I'm drinking more beer than I used to, but not THAT much. Any tips on getting rid of my stomach fat? I know that cutting calories and exercise will eventually help, I'm just wondering if there's anything more targeted that I can do. Specifically, I've been reading that situps can be bad for your spine and that certain types of situps build stomach muscle without burning that much fat, so I'm looking for tips or anything that's worked for other people. Best types of situps? Routines? Thanks!

Cardio actually promotes body fat guys (though you will certainly lose 'weight'), I'm sorry...lots of studies out there proving this. Take a look at this link (I wish the pictures still worked...they tell an incredible story!):

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Strength training, promotes growth hormone production. This directs your body to maintain your existing lean mass (even eating on a deficit), and burn fat for fuel. Fat is a storage for fuel, simply put. When you do steady state cardio, your body says 'I don't need all this muscle...it's harder to carry around!! But man, these long runs sure deplete my energy stores...I need to start turning part of my caloric intake into fat!!'. Strength training is the opposite. If you're eating healthy...strength training causes your body to say 'Man...all this fat is making my job MUCH harder! I'm getting all the fuel I need, and I need to keep this muscle around to make the work I'm being required to do easier'.

That's oversimplified...but that's how it works.

As for how to reduce belly fat...the ONLY answer is diet and strength training. No specific exercise will reduce belly fat. Building your upper body and glutes can make your waist appear smaller...but the fat will still be there.

~Edit - I should have mentioned that I meant specifically traditional cardio in my above statements. Interval training is something else ENTIRELY, and ranks right with strength training in my opinion. It's all about the kind of work you're asking your body to do.
  • LilacLizabeth
    LilacLizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    I've been drinking water and cardio as well as a reduced calorie diet. I don't expect to have a flat stomach, while it would be nice, I try to do what's realistic, achieveable and maintainable with my life.
This discussion has been closed.