Simple tricks/tips to clean eating

Options
Hello... I am working on making my healthy eating switch to clean eating. I know that some of the things that I eat everyday can be switched out for cleaner options. My concern is how picky I am about the food I eat. I am going to make my snacks be fresh (or as fresh as possible) fruit like grapes, apples, pineapple, carrots, bananas, or cucumbers. I will be looking at the ingredient list of everything I buy to get the shortest list possible. I am working on making more dinners and stop eating out so often. I know that this will take work and I am willing to do what it takes to get there!!!

If you are a clean eater, what little changes did you make to get started? Do you have a recipe that is your favorite? Where do you shop to get the most items/best deals?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks in advance! :wink:

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would start with one meal at a time. For instance, my old breakfast used to be (and I will admit sometimes still is) a bacon biscuit or a microwave breakfast sandwich. Now it is either oatmeal, or eggs and turkey sausage, etc. Lunch used to be fast food ordered in at lunch. Today it was tuna on a flax seed cracker and an apple. If you try to change everything all at once it gets overwhelming.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Also cleaneatingmag.com has a lot of recipes, meal planners, etc. that are fairly simple (I am NOT a great cook) and tasty!
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I have found that I prefer the clean eating mostly because of the reduction in calories! I can eat twice as much and still consume fewer calories than if I buy the food pre-made.

The switch wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Cooking with raw foods takes approximately the same amount of time as cooking with "fast" foods (stuff that comes in a box or a bag). And the kids seem to love it too. They are finally eating potatoes!!!

My favorite is my potatoes au gratin. For the gratin sauce, you start with a simple gravy starter (or roux) and add cheese. For the simple gravy starter, just remember to use equal amounts of butter and flour - usually 1/4 cup is all it takes - and 2 cups of liquid. For the potatoes au gratin, use milk!
  • UnderConstructionJ
    Options
    That's a good option to slowly transitioning...never thought to try it with that approach. When I read up on clean eating it just seemed so out of reach for me...that I never gave it another thought...even with the success that I see others get from it.
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Biggest change for me was breakfast as well. I have been making smoothies in the morning. Approx. 1.5 cups of raw spinach leaves, half a frozen banana, little bit of pineapple, 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt, 1/2 cup of rice milk, and 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed. I've never been a vegetable lover but this is very tasty.

I've also made them with spinach, cucumber, and mint leaves. This is very good as well!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    i make most things from scratch - just have a pantry of "staples" - fresh frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, organic broths, whole grains and beans, etc. once you have a good stash you can really pull together an awesome meal.

Cook once, eat twice. If you're going to put the effort in, make more than 4 servings - make it double or triple, eat again later in the week, and freeze some. that takes half the work out of eating clean.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    i make most things from scratch - just have a pantry of "staples" - fresh frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, organic broths, whole grains and beans, etc. once you have a good stash you can really pull together an awesome meal.

Cook once, eat twice. If you're going to put the effort in, make more than 4 servings - make it double or triple, eat again later in the week, and freeze some. that takes half the work out of eating clean.

Totally agree with this, also agree with switching out meals as you progress! I try to plan out our meals for the week on Sat or Sun, go to the store get only what I need for the whole week, which btw having a plan has cut my grocery bill in half! Then on Sunday afternoon/evening I prep as much of the veggies/fruit that I can so that all we have to do is grab it out of hte fridge. I also try to cook at least 2 or 3 re-heatable meals on Sunday and those last most of the week for dinners and lunches. Cooking from scratch really is just as easy as preparing processed meals if you're organized!
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Excellent advice!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you are a clean eater, what little changes did you make to get started? Do you have a recipe that is your favorite? Where do you shop to get the most items/best deals?

I belong to a CSA so I get fresh local foods delivered to my doorstep every other Wednesday. Definitely do a google search and ask around to see what is available in your area. Other than that, a lot comes from the Farmer's Market and then some staples come from the grocery store or local organic market.

The farmer's market is definitely the best deal though.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    my relaxation when I get home from work is cooking! I love it!!

I guess you could say that I 'eat clean'. Does it just mean not eating processed foods??

One change I have made recently is not using jarred spaghetti sauce......instead I buy Tuttorroso (sp??) Crushed tomatos and doctor it up to how my family likes it...simmer for about an hour or so.....wala.....a good sauce (less sodium, sugar, etc)

Plus the Tuttorros is cheaper!! (in my area anyways)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    check out this website too:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Cooking is my relaxation, too. I will definitely make more than I did for a single setting so it's easier to go back and grab something in a hurry. In the autumn and winter, I make a lot of soups - last night I used Northern beans, barley, kale, turnips, onions and carrots. A serving is 140 calories and FILLING and clean. Win! I also make my own sauces for pizza, pasta, etc and put that marinara on everything from green beans to baked potatoes to pizza. So good, cheaper, and it tastes a LOT better than the jarred stuff.
    To me, eating clean isn't about making things complicated or expensive. It's just scratch cooking and avoiding processed food, preservatives and unnatural food-like things.
    Once you get going, you'll find that jarred and canned foods taste overwhelmingly of sodium and you'll appreciate the taste of fresh, seasonal ingredients.
    Good luck. :)