Advice for a couch potato?

Options
2»

Replies

• debswebby
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=10+minute+workout&sprefix=10+minute+workout

Check these out. I have nearly all these dvd's and they are great. Each one is broken down into 10 minute segments.

Good luck with your journey :flowerforyou:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota too and cold weather is another excuse for not exercising. Not trying to be harsh, really. You don't have to be outside to walk. Stand in one place and lift your legs at a brisk pace. Ta-da...you're walking. Hold something in your hands (dumbbells, soup cans, milk jugs filled with water, etc.) and pump those arms while you're walking.

There are so many things you can do to exercise while inside. Start with walking, lunges, squats, shadow boxing (no bag required), low-impact jumping jacks (no jumping required), windmills. The list is endless.

Again, not trying to be harsh but surely you can find more than 10 minutes every day to get your body bending, jumping, swinging, twisting, kicking, punching, lifting, etc. How much time do you spend watching TV, surfing online, or playing video games? You can exercise while watching TV.

Get creative, get moving, and stop making excuses. I wish you the best of luck. You can do this!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Everything is about recognition and Choices....

This is not meant to be mean, just blunt....because its the only way to be...

If you WANT to no longer BE the Couch Potato, Then GET OFF YOUR BUMM and MOVE. If you Want it, Get it. And be honest with yourself. There are no Excuses, only realities.
  • ramonescalante
    Options
    Something that helped my wife and I out is that we got rid of our cable and did not buy an antenna. I know, it's a shock and I was very resilliant to the idea but since then my house is cleaner, we eat better, we communicate, and now exercise four times a week for an hour. This is with a 9 month old baby and a one hour commute to work. There is so much more time in the day when you are not watching TV. We still have a TV, that is how we do our exercises, just find a program that works for you. Now, we just need to reduce time on Facebook.
  • tyrsblade
    tyrsblade Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    when I dropped from 430 to 380 , I changed how much I ate and start walking.
    I lost motivation and now I am back trying to change my life. try to stay inspired and motivated!
  • serenarae
    Options
    Hey! If you do have streaming netflix there is a series of 10 min solutions that you can watch on there. And you can pick what part of your body to work and do different parts each time. I love the arm workout on there and none of them are too intense to do either. I wish you well on your journey and hope you find something you like and can stick with! :)

I didn't know that, that's great! Thanks! :smile:
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    Nice TARDIS.

I agree. Get a treadmill and when the Doctor runs, you run.

"Love the running!"

but seriously, it helps. He's always running. I have, on multiple occasions, when running thought, "I could stop" and then thought, "You'll never keep up with The Doctor if you do" and then I kicked booty.
    I love this! :bigsmile:

Do you have "on demand" services on your tv? you could see if they have a fitness section...
    I got my treadmill for a decent price at walmart. It's not top of the line fancy, but for someone who is just starting it works just fine.
    I find myself doing small things like calf raises and squats while working in the kitchen. you can wash dishes and get some leg work in. :tongue:

I totally understand how it can be just too cold to go out. >.<
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Get a WII Fit Plus. We love ours. You burn calories while you play games. :wink:
    I agree with this. I have a wii fit. And I use it when I can't get outside. And as I have progressed. I have gotten other workout games for the Wii. Just last week I bought Just Dance 2. There is alot of things for the Wii.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    wow, ask for advice on this site, and you get it!

my two cents? get a dog. even a low energy dog needs walked everyday, bam, there's your outside walk everyday. and the guilt if you don't walk your dog: b/c if you have a dog, and you don't walk her, you're a bad person, i'm just saying. and then there's the training, and the cleaning, and the grooming. not to mention owning a dog is good for your heart, and petting a dog can relieve stress. my girl and i do agility, obedience, and tracking, all of which are excuses to get moving. there are numerous dog sports to get into, all of which involve you moving. look for a kennel club near you for all the dog related activities you can handle, and look for a shelter to find your new best friend. of course a dog is not for everyone, but sure is a wonderful solution for me. "if your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise!"
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It all sounds so simple, doesn't it? Eat less, eat better, move more.

For people who aren't used to a lot of physical movement, it can be hard. Walking is an easy way to ease your body into more activity. Malls are good for this, especially since the Twin Cities are heading into winter.

If you or your kids have a Wii, the WiiFit board and its games are another low-impact way to get yourself moving more, and they're fun, to boot.

Edit: beat to the punch on the Wii.