Pre~Workout Meals

Options
What type of foods should I eat prior to my workouts ?
I wake at 5am to workout before my family wakes ... I do not really have time to eat before a workout but I am told I will have more energy and better results if I eat first. I really do not see how I can eat then jump straight into P90x without barfing.
I want food recommendations not junk , I do not do artificial colors/ flavors/sweeteners.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're jumping straight into a workout, I would say pick something easy to digest like a banana or yogurt. Then eat something more substantial later.
  • ngill05
    ngill05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before I run I drink a protein shake with milk .. you can add fruits to your shake if you like. I drink designer whey protein.. only 100 calories per scoop.. i've lost 30 pounds in 6 months!!!
  • MsDionne84
    Options
    I drink a slim fast shake before mine and it does wonders (CHOCOLATE) :) protein bars anything. NOthing heavy just anything with protein. I learned this a few weeks ago and I done it the past couple of weeks before my run and it really help. But do it at the minume 30 minutes before you workout and let me know how you feel!
  • Flossykirk
    Flossykirk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was told opposite, by my doctor and my trainer - to make sure you are not working out with food in your stomach, for the same reason you mentioned below. Instead, have protein after a workout ... shake, bar, eggs, etc.
    This is what I do and the only thing I know to do.
    Hope you find a good fit for your morning routine!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I also work out in the mornings. I usually have a tbs of peanut butter and then when I am done I drink a whey protein drink with almond milk and a fruit.

- it keeps me full till lunch and I like the taste of the chocolate whey milk after my workout.

- at least that's what I do.
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by that greek yogurt. The little Fage snack packs with honey are 150-190 calories. It kind of tastes like sour cream without fruit or honey added so I have never met anyone who likes it plain.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a smoothy--and like you, I like the natural stuff. So...1/2 a cup of Fage, nonfat Greek yogurt, one small-medium banana, 1/3 cup of vitamin water (or your favorite juice if calories/sugar no issue), 4-6 strawberries. Mix in blender. If you like it icy, add some cubes prior to blending. If you'd like even more protein, add a tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter! YUMMY and gives you enough carbs and protein for a good pre-workout meal.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You have now I have grown to enjoy the plain fat free fage yourgurt. I used to put Stevia in it to sweeten it up a bit but then I ran out and just gotton to the point I like it just plain. I really like to mix it with my Old fashion plain quaker oats for breakfast. And yes I am serious just ask my wife
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would choose your favorite snack that is mostly carbohydrate. Chances are your favorite will be familiar food and unlikely to upset your stomach. Carbohydrate is the fuel you need.

This is an excerpt from polarpersonaltrainer.com (in the section entitled: Factors That Influence Heart Rate During Training):

Fuel. Your body is always using a combination of carbohydrates, fats and proteins for energy production. As the exercise intensity increases, you burn more carbohydrates and less fat (protein metabolism is always fairly small). Even at low intensities, you need some carbohydrate to burn fats (fats burn in the flame of carbohydrate). What does this have to do with heart rate? If you start to run low on carbohydrate, it will become difficult to maintain your pace at a given heart rate. Your perceived exertion and subjective feeling will increase, but your heart rate will be falling. This is informally called "bonking" and can be remedied by eating foods high in carbohydrate. As a rule of thumb, always bring along some form of ingestible energy on any outing lasting more than 2 hours.